follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 02-06-2014, 03:20 AM   #141
calmtigers

Drives: 2014 Whiteout TRD FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by h4nh View Post
It actually sounds A LOT better in person. The camera I was using is good with pictures but internal mic isn't so great on the 60D. I didn't have my sony camcorder with me.

The rumble opened up a lot more from removing the cats. I'm excited to hear how a 3" system will sound.
It sounds super quiet but deep, which is what I want no drone/rasp set up!

Any link for the front pipe/over pipe? Might have to just go catless at such a cheap price!
calmtigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:33 AM   #142
h4nh

Drives: Turbo BRZ & Supercharged E90 M3
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmtigers View Post
It sounds super quiet but deep, which is what I want no drone/rasp set up!

Any link for the front pipe/over pipe? Might have to just go catless at such a cheap price!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scion-FRS-Su...3b8907&vxp=mtr

It's $179 for both pipes. You can't go wrong. I've verified the fitment and it is spot on.

I'd recommend getting the car on the lift for removing the over pipe. I had to push the engine up from the mounts a lil bit for the over pipe flange to clear while being removed from it's location. I managed to do it on a driveway but it would definitely help using a lift. lol
h4nh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to h4nh For This Useful Post:
calmtigers (02-06-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 04:03 AM   #143
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Dude your build is coming along amazing so much is new since last visit here! I have question, I have KWV3 right now, literally a direct copy of what you had V plates and all, only diff is I have stance LCA in rear. I see you have went to Ohlins which I love btw, now they've been reduced in price (abit). In regards to overall street ride on the rougher stuff was it worth going to Ohlins from KWV3s? As far as the Ohlins being quicker to adjust or simpler from street to goings say Auto Crossing I get that part, but just wondering primarily about street comfort and your thoughts so far from this switch overall.

From you pictures it looks plenty low in front, hell almost 2", backs up abit but I'd suspect some LCA like I have would completely level that.

What kinds of camber did you need to run all around in the end to fit those beasty wheels and tires in? -2?
Old 02-06-2014, 04:20 AM   #144
h4nh

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Dude your build is coming along amazing so much is new since last visit here! I have question, I have KWV3 right now, literally a direct copy of what you had V plates and all, only diff is I have stance LCA in rear. I see you have went to Ohlins which I love btw, now they've been reduced in price (abit). In regards to overall street ride on the rougher stuff was it worth going to Ohlins from KWV3s? As far as the Ohlins being quicker to adjust or simpler from street to goings say Auto Crossing I get that part, but just wondering primarily about street comfort and your thoughts so far from this switch overall.
I like it so far. I've had the ohlins for literally a day and less than 15 miles of driving but it feels a lot better on the street. I've taken some turns and it feels very solid. The V3 was very comfortable but I am not a suspension expert or know how to tune the suspension to the best settings. So far I'm impressed with the quality of ohlins. I would like a lil more adjust ability on the height. Not trying to go hella-flush, but a bit lower would look aesthetically nicer.

Quote:

From you pictures it looks plenty low in front, hell almost 2", backs up abit but I'd suspect some LCA like I have would completely level that.

What kinds of camber did you need to run all around in the end to fit those beasty wheels and tires in? -2?
The camber I had it set to zero at first. Now it's -1 I have my fenders pulled all the way around. 265/30/19 rears and 235/35/19 fronts.

I will see how this suspension plays out. I'm interested in trying air ride next. lol
OICU812 (02-06-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 04:29 AM   #145
OICU812
Just a dude

Garage
Quote:
I like it so far. I've had the ohlins for literally a day and less than 15 miles of driving but it feels a lot better on the street. I've taken some turns and it feels very solid. The V3 was very comfortable but I am not a suspension expert or know how to tune the suspension to the best settings. So far I'm impressed with the quality of ohlins. I would like a lil more adjust ability on the height. Not trying to go hella-flush, but a bit lower would look aesthetically nicer.

The camber I had it set to zero at first. Now it's -1 I have my fenders pulled all the way around. 265/30/19 rears and 235/35/19 fronts.

I will see how this suspension plays out. I'm interested in trying air ride next. lol

You move fast on stuff lol that's great. Understood I got too excited and now just noted you literally just installed the Ohlins.

As far as height, the latest RCE plates similar to ground control would yield you an easy 1/4" more or even better up front lower as they gain 3/8ths "lower" by design (they claim) and in rears as said the stance LCA or Racesengs raised top hats would get you much lower in rear to. Probably telling you shit you know but honestly I see the height you're at now as not only quite low but very, very functional still to, looks great really.

Most guys who have bad roads, and edges run 10-12 from full stiff front and back on these and claim its very nice.

Last edited by OICU812; 02-06-2014 at 05:50 AM.
OICU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:51 AM   #146
OICU812
Just a dude

Garage
Also what's all involved in pulling fenders? Is it a difficult process overall to do it well?
Old 02-06-2014, 06:06 AM   #147
Nomed Alucard

Drives: 2013 Scion Fr-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Man your build is amazing ! Once I get my build complete I'll have to come to see you. I live in Houston.
Nomed Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:51 PM   #148
h4nh

Quote:
Also what's all involved in pulling fenders? Is it a difficult process overall to do it well?
You get a fender roller and heat up the paint. I had a shop do it since they do it all the time. It's not worth it for me to buy the tool and learn to use it if I'm rarely going to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomed Alucard View Post
Man your build is amazing ! Once I get my build complete I'll have to come to see you. I live in Houston.
thx! where's your build thread?
Old 02-06-2014, 04:23 PM   #149
Nomed Alucard

Drives: 2013 Scion Fr-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I haven't started it yet per say. All my parts are ordered. I want to start it once I have all my parts in my hands. And never have written one before so trying to get a hang of how other's wrote their's.
Nomed Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:10 AM   #150
calmtigers

Quote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scion-FRS-Su...3b8907&vxp=mtr

It's $179 for both pipes. You can't go wrong. I've verified the fitment and it is spot on.

I'd recommend getting the car on the lift for removing the over pipe. I had to push the engine up from the mounts a lil bit for the over pipe flange to clear while being removed from it's location. I managed to do it on a driveway but it would definitely help using a lift. lol
Is there any rasp or drone with the front pipe and over pipe?
Old 02-07-2014, 01:18 AM   #151
h4nh

Quote:
Is there any rasp or drone with the front pipe and over pipe?
There's no rasp with the set up I have. It does drone inside but that's all depending on your tolerance to noise. It sounds like it reduced the drone once I took the 2nd cat out.

It also depends what the rest of your exhaust set-up.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:24 AM   #152
calmtigers

Quote:
There's no rasp with the set up I have. It does drone inside but that's all depending on your tolerance to noise. It sounds like it reduced the drone once I took the 2nd cat out.

It also depends what the rest of your exhaust set-up.
I've got a resonated perrin catback, so maybe that'll stop up some drone with the resonator..

Sucks because I really love this sound, makes the boxer really come out!
Just dont want the rasp or drone
Old 02-07-2014, 01:34 AM   #153
h4nh

Quote:
I've got a resonated perrin catback, so maybe that'll stop up some drone with the resonator..

Sucks because I really love this sound, makes the boxer really come out!
Just dont want the rasp or drone
Best thing to do is get unequal length headers and have dual canister exhaust to bring out the boxer rumble. The perrin catback is a very mild exhaust so you won't get much rumble out of it.

You can always have multiple set-ups.. the exhaust systems on this car don't take very long to switch out.
calmtigers (02-09-2014)
Old 02-09-2014, 11:35 AM   #154
Drift&Drag
TURBOLICIOUS

Drives: a machine :]
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Very nice clean build Hanh! I'm here in Dallas too. Do you every go to any of the meets such as the Coffee & Cars meet?
Drift&Drag is offline   Reply With Quote