follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-10-2012, 01:08 PM   #29
yayforaddison

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Yesterday, I actually even got into a BRAND NEW car with 100 miles on it. Sometimes they have to keep going threw tests from the factory till they can get sent out.
yayforaddison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #30
luxmn
First FR-S

Drives: Whiteout MT FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
i know i know, they make me feel like a highschooler with this whole "first person to do xyz to my car/gf" all over again if you know what i mean *sign*
luxmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #31
luxmn
First FR-S

I didn't want any ugly feelings so I called the guy at the dealer and let them know as long as it reasonable with any other car on the lot I'll be fine with it. I'll keep yall posted and keep me posted to about your cars, especially the First86.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:01 PM   #32
chate
Pharmasaurus Magnificus

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
let us know what scion says too, Kearny Mesa Scion is a dealer that is on this forum, may be worth getting their input too
chate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #33
shaX 07

Drives: 1998 Honda Accord EX
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxmn View Post
I didn't want any ugly feelings so I called the guy at the dealer and let them know as long as it reasonable with any other car on the lot I'll be fine with it. I'll keep yall posted and keep me posted to about your cars, especially the First86.
As others have stated, you could always ask to be present for the test drive portion of the PDI. Not sure if they'll comply, but you could always ask them when the car is actually scheduled for delivery and literally stalk the car until they park it after the PDI. Again, not sure if you can get an exact date/time or whatever that it will roll off the truck but if you're That concerned about it than I would try it.

Ideally I would like to see a single digit mileage when purchasing a brand new car, but in actuality it doesn't quite matter.
shaX 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #34
Stryker Trailwood
Scion Guy

Drives: Scions and a Harley
unless it is something with brand new models, I don't think they have to drive it 10 miles if at all.
when i picked up my tC it only had 4 miles on the odo, when i got my xD it only had 7. Neither were 1st model year though.
Daily Rider
2014 White Hot Denim Harley-Davidson V-Rod Muscle
Stryker Trailwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:08 PM   #35
Starscream15

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ - DGM
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
The PDI checklist is nothing more than checking the fluid levels and air pressure as the tires are way over the correct PSI when they come off the truck. The Tech then does a test drive to make sure it's running right, driving straight and puts a couple gallons of gas in the tank. I've seen cars come off the trucks empty and not startable.

If you want to worry about any part of the process, worry about the loser pot smoking detailers ripping around in your new car.

Last edited by Starscream15; 04-10-2012 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Typo!
Starscream15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #36
slizoth

Drives: 2013 WRB Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I had a similar reaction when I bought my first new motorcycle, I was like what the crap is this, someone rode MY bike! But, it makes perfect sense, people need to test it out before they sell it and Im happy they do.
slizoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #37
Capt Canuck

Drives: BMW E36 323is
Wow... I guess Subaru and Scion are going to have to put up with a bunch of folks getting their first brand new cars and then whinging like no tomorrow when they have 8 or 9 miles on them
Old 04-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #38
ajc209

Drives: GT86 Cosworth
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
i know i know, they make me feel like a highschooler with this whole "first person to do xyz to my car/gf" all over again if you know what i mean *sign*
I just emailed my dealer about delivery miles. The guys at work have been winding me up that they are going to take it out for a good ragging since it'll be the first one they see.

I am going to insist to be there for any "checks" they make. It is perfectly resonable if you are spending $28k ($41k in my case!) on a new car to expect in to arrive with minimal miles on the clock.

I have never seen more than 3 miles on all of my parents new cars. All Toyota's as well.
ajc209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #39
luxmn
First FR-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Canuck View Post
Wow... I guess Subaru and Scion are going to have to put up with a bunch of folks getting their first brand new cars and then whinging like no tomorrow when they have 8 or 9 miles on them
No need for the condescending tone man. True this is the first brand new car for me and true I raised my fist but as you can see this is a matter of communication. I'm a structural engineer, if I tell you I'll have to live in the house I design for you for 3 days to make sure it won't fall down would you not even ask a question? Once the manager guaranteed that no employee will be joyriding on my car and no more miles will be put on compared to any other cars in the lot I accepted the fact. How many time do they have to do this? Only one winner per dealer.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #40
Starscream15

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ - DGM
Garage
Quote:
No need for the condescending tone man.
Welcome to the forum! :happy0180:
Old 04-10-2012, 04:28 PM   #41
CSSM
Still Dreamin'

Drives: 2001 Chevrolet Tahoe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lytheum View Post
<10 is probably expected. if they insist on they check out drive tell them you want to be present for it.
Yeah, when I test drove a Camaro SS Vert it had 6 miles on it, and my parent's new BMW was about 10 after they test drove it.
CSSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:00 PM   #42
bryan

Drives: Lots of Toyotas
The Subaru dealer told me the exact same thing about my pre-ordered BRZ when I asked if they will be using the car for test drives. He said nobody gets to "test drive" it as it is technically a sold car but that the dealer techs will be driving it around the block to "inspect" it.

I do believe it's not absolutely necessary to "test drive" the car and if anything, it causes more more of a concern for the customer, especially on cars such as the FRS/BRZ. Anybody remember the fiasco with the BMW 1M in Glendale?

-A salesperson flogged around a brand new BMW 1M and had the audacity to film it. This is probably the last thing anybody would want on their new, pre-broken in, sports car. Again, this was on a car that was shipped in limited numbers. Who's to say what a dealership wouldn't do to a car half the price of the 1M, like say, a FRS?

I definitely question dealers and the people who actually work there. As customers and purchasers of the car, we should have the right to dictate how it gets inspected and who drives it. But seeing as it's been very difficult for even people who work at the dealerships to test drive it, I wouldn't be surprised to hear about brand new pre-sold FRS/BRZs being joy-ridden by dealer techs.
bryan is offline   Reply With Quote