follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 12-28-2021, 01:43 PM   #1
MisterGoober

Drives: IS300, WRX, STI, Bicycle
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
12V Outlet - Glovebox only? Radar Detector Install

Was installing my radar detector, and will likely hardwire at some point. The only 12V outlet I could find was inside the glove box, is there another one hidden someplace?

Any suggestions on hardwiring? Was thinking of using the wires in the mirror, but curious if there's a better way?
MisterGoober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 01:57 PM   #2
Interceptor777

Drives: 2022 BRZ, 1999 "touge-spec" Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterGoober View Post
Was installing my radar detector, and will likely hardwire at some point. The only 12V outlet I could find was inside the glove box, is there another one hidden someplace?

Any suggestions on hardwiring? Was thinking of using the wires in the mirror, but curious if there's a better way?
That's the only 12V outlet in the car.

As for hardwiring, I was looking at the mirror wires too. The car already has a prerun harness for the homelink mirror which includes power (I assume 12V), the wires for this harness are inside where the dome lights are.

I need to look into how much power the homelink uses and see if the wires can handle the radar detector as well.

If you don't have a homelink mirror then this is easy enough just have to wire it up to the unused harness above the dome lights.
Interceptor777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 07:18 PM   #3
tenderization

Drives: 88 RX-7, 2022 BRZ
Quote:

I prefer just using a 12V outlet over hardwiring despite how ugly it looks. Just routed the Uniden R3 wire straight down from the plug in the glovebox (putting the wire behind the glovebox itself). I tried going to the left at first but it seemed like it was getting caught on something. Not very stealthy and you lose access to the mute button on the plug but it'll do.

The coiled wire also wedges nicely between the glovebox/center screen area for the ultimate in low-effort jank install.

Last edited by tenderization; 12-28-2021 at 07:37 PM.
tenderization is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 08:58 PM   #4
MisterGoober

Drives: IS300, WRX, STI, Bicycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderization View Post
I prefer just using a 12V outlet over hardwiring despite how ugly it looks. Just routed the Uniden R3 wire straight down from the plug in the glovebox (putting the wire behind the glovebox itself). I tried going to the left at first but it seemed like it was getting caught on something. Not very stealthy and you lose access to the mute button on the plug but it'll do.

The coiled wire also wedges nicely between the glovebox/center screen area for the ultimate in low-effort jank install.
Just did the same, also couldn’t get the wire through the left side. I didn’t see a fuse box in the driver’s footwell, but didn’t look too hard. If the fuse box is nearby, I’ll eventually just use an “add a fuse” accessory and run it up the driver’s A-Pillar and headliner. For now, the glovebox will do the trick though
MisterGoober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 08:18 PM   #5
tenderization

Drives: 88 RX-7, 2022 BRZ
Quote:
Just did the same, also couldn’t get the wire through the left side. I didn’t see a fuse box in the driver’s footwell, but didn’t look too hard. If the fuse box is nearby, I’ll eventually just use an “add a fuse” accessory and run it up the driver’s A-Pillar and headliner. For now, the glovebox will do the trick though
Are you using a blendmount or something else? Curious if the blendmount fit guide can be trusted.
tenderization is offline   Reply With Quote