follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-02-2017, 08:12 PM   #29
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reynierpm View Post
By "deep throaty rumble" you mean the sound the car keeps after be on move?
Ya the sound like all the ones on the clip you attached. All those rumbles and popping are from headers and a tune not stock with just a catback.
When you listen to those clips keep in mind that many of those cars also have intakes and other mods as well as exhaust that change the sound. Try to find clips where they clearly state that the car is stock with just a cat back. Like I said though the clips can be deceiving.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:14 PM   #30
Silver Cervy
*Some really cool title*

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Here's everything in a nutshell:

- want sound? Catback
- want more sound and some power? Header + tune. Tune is 100% required when getting a header or else car will trigger a check engine light. Getting the car tuned will void your warranty (if you have one) in most situations. Net gains from this vary but average around 20 whp.
- There are many options available, nothing below $600 is worth buying. Videos are useless because the sound quality always sucks.
- Loud exhausts (muffler-delete) will drone, always. Never combine a header and loud exhaust unless you want the attention.

Think about what sound characteristics you want your exhaust to have; that will really help narrow down the choices. Also consider equal length headers vs. unequal length ones (EL = more high end power and flat sound; UEL = burble sound aka "boxer rumble"). Don't rush into a purchase and do a TON of research.
Silver Cervy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:28 PM   #31
reynierpm

Drives: Toyota 86 2017 Black
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Cervy View Post
Here's everything in a nutshell:
- want sound? Catback
Definitely, I want more sound rather than power, is enough for me what car has as I said before I will not run not as a pro not in a car competition just want my car sounds better than it does by default (stock options)

Quote:
- There are many options available, nothing below $600 is worth buying. Videos are useless because the sound quality always sucks.
In this case and from your personal experience any recommendation for a catback?

Quote:
- Loud exhausts (muffler-delete) will drone, always. Never combine a header and loud exhaust unless you want the attention.
Not sure I understood what this is but for now I'll keep away

Quote:
Think about what sound characteristics you want your exhaust to have; that will really help narrow down the choices.
Well that's the problem I would like my car to sound noising and powerful not that small sound that it have by default.

Quote:
Also consider equal length headers vs. unequal length ones (EL = more high end power and flat sound; UEL = burble sound aka "boxer rumble").
No ideas in what you're talking about or how this can help, again my ignorance

Quote:
Don't rush into a purchase and do a TON of research.
I wont thanks for the advice
reynierpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:52 PM   #32
Silver Cervy
*Some really cool title*

Looks like you got a lot of google searching to do my friend. I'll give you a bit more info but most of this is stuff you can easily find online.

- Equal length/Unequal length refers to the length ratio of the piping. Equal length headers have equal length pipes on each side, meaning that the exhaust gases flow at the same rate. Unequal length headers have one side of piping longer than the other, which causes the gases to go through the header at different rates which is what creates the rumble sound. If more power/low-end torque isn't a must for you then do not get a header.

- The muffler is the big chamber at the end of your exhaust. If you look under the rear of your car you will see it. Like the name suggests, it muffles the sound of your exhaust and eliminates drone. There are a lot of catbacks out there which do not have a muffler, i.e. straightpipe, and removing the muffler means that your exhaust will be significantly louder and will drone excessively. Drone means that no matter what rpm you drive at you will hear a constant loud noise coming from the exhaust. This can get very annoying in a daily driver and should be avoided.

- I am about to put this exhaust -> http://perrinperformance.com/i-23898...-s-brz-86.html onto my car. As you can see it has a muffler so it won't drone, and I asked other owners on here what the exhaust sounds like on their car and their descriptions matched what I was looking for sound-wise.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:18 PM   #33
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,795 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
So having that the only thing I would like to add to my car is a loud sound coming from the exhaust and translated in mufflers so which one should I buy and add to my car in order to get a better sound?
Well, the axle back I have on my 2013 is made by nameless performance and it has 2.5" piping and 2 - 5" mufflers.

I'm very happy with it ....... however, I understand it will NOT fit your 2017.

So, I would recommend an axle back OR for more of a selection. a cat back system.

Unless you want to drive yourself out of the car, I'd suggest you get a system with some sort of mufflers in it (not muffler delete).

Yep, I know what you're going through. I wanted a bit more sound but not so loud I couldn't carry on a conversation in the cockpit.

I just had to ....... PICK ONE .......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:23 PM   #34
reynierpm

Drives: Toyota 86 2017 Black
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
So, I would recommend an axle back OR for more of a selection. a cat back system.
Do you have any in mind (not for you but for me :p )? Any recommendation?
reynierpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:51 PM   #35
humfrz

Quote:
Well, if I had a 2017, I'd take a hard look at the one @Silver Cervy chose.

http://perrinperformance.com/i-23898...-s-brz-86.html

It looks to be well made and looks like it would produce a good sound without being too loud.

Ya, I know, almost $1,000 but it's a one time investment in your driving pleasure.....

humfrz
Old 03-02-2017, 10:02 PM   #36
Silver Cervy
*Some really cool title*

Mine will be put on early next week with a JDL uel header. If you want @reynierpm I will post a video here so you can get a rough idea of what it sounds like (I know I said that videos are useless but they're better than nothing).

Invidia also just released their Gemini R400 which is similar to mine.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:42 PM   #37
humfrz

Quote:
Mine will be put on early next week with a JDL uel header. If you want @reynierpm I will post a video here so you can get a rough idea of what it sounds like (I know I said that videos are useless but they're better than nothing).

Invidia also just released their Gemini R400 which is similar to mine.
But, wouldn't yours sound different with an aftermarket header ..... ??

humfrz
Old 03-02-2017, 10:54 PM   #38
Silver Cervy
*Some really cool title*

Quote:
But, wouldn't yours sound different with an aftermarket header ..... ??

humfrz
Yes. OP hasn't stated in black and white what he wants, so it'll be just another example for him to consider.
The Following User Says Thank You to Silver Cervy For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-03-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 02:12 AM   #39
humfrz

Quote:
@N1rve just pulled a Perrin exhaust off his car (check the thread "what I did to my FR-S today") (post #15862).

Maybe he would sell it to you .....??

You might ask him how loud is too loud.

humfrz
Old 03-03-2017, 02:50 AM   #40
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
@N1rve just pulled a Perrin exhaust off his car (check the thread "what I did to my FR-S today") (post #15862).

Maybe he would sell it to you .....??

You might ask him how loud is too loud.

humfrz
LOL I traded exhausts with someone in socal so I'll need to surrender the perrin.

But going back to the perrin, I had a 3 inch resonated. People said it sounded like the 2.5 unresonated without the rasp; it sounded great... between 4000-7000 RPM. Between 1000-2.5k it droned and made the car resonate with it (increased rattles). Since I don't drive my car like I stole it everytime, it sounded like ass (to me).

I could not have a conversation in the car with it as the drone from 1000-2.5k rpm was annoying and I was practically using my outside voice instead of my inside voice. I just installed the q300...it's practically the stock exhaust with rolled 4 inch tips. I wouldn't get the Q300 if you like loud exhausts or a significant volume change (change, not increase).

I thought it would be cool to have a loud exhaust, but I could not talk to people in the car, my coworkers would complain my car is too loud, and it would give me a headache sometimes. But that's just me.

I would highly visit a meet and listen to the exhaust hoe you would normally drive with load. Don't listen to YouTube videos or a parked reving car. You want real world scenario sound.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N1rve For This Useful Post:
Teseo (03-03-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 03:38 AM   #41
Silver Cervy
*Some really cool title*

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
LOL I traded exhausts with someone in socal so I'll need to surrender the perrin.

But going back to the perrin, I had a 3 inch resonated. People said it sounded like the 2.5 unresonated without the rasp; it sounded great... between 4000-7000 RPM. Between 1000-2.5k it droned and made the car resonate with it (increased rattles). Since I don't drive my car like I stole it everytime, it sounded like ass (to me).

I could not have a conversation in the car with it as the drone from 1000-2.5k rpm was annoying and I was practically using my outside voice instead of my inside voice. I just installed the q300...it's practically the stock exhaust with rolled 4 inch tips. I wouldn't get the Q300 if you like loud exhausts or a significant volume change (change, not increase).

I thought it would be cool to have a loud exhaust, but I could not talk to people in the car, my coworkers would complain my car is too loud, and it would give me a headache sometimes. But that's just me.

I would highly visit a meet and listen to the exhaust hoe you would normally drive with load. Don't listen to YouTube videos or a parked reving car. You want real world scenario sound.
That's interesting. How would you compare the Perrin to, say, an N1? My impressions about the Perrin from all that I read was that it was louder than most exhausts but not excessively loud, and I never heard about any rasping for the 2.5" (which is what I bought).
Old 03-03-2017, 07:54 AM   #42
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Im interested to see how the new invidia 400 Gemni sounds with a catless header setup.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote