follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 08-02-2014, 04:03 AM   #29
Turbo95eg6

Drives: 2014 BRZ SWP LTD
Thanked 2,266 Times in 858 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
For some reason people in WRX's wave at me. Oddly enough,
the only person that tried to race me was some douche in a wrx.
Turbo95eg6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:13 AM   #30
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadBanger View Post
I get the sense that Impreza/Subaru guys don't really like us.

It seems as though whenever I wave to somebody in a WRX/STI I never get a wave back.

Are we the gorgeous step-sister that everybody else is jealous of?
The question is, why would you care if other car owners hate or don't like you? Why would you assume that a non-reaction is a sign of jealousy?

You can think your car is pretty all day... in the end, it's just another car to another person.

The sooner you get over this, the more you'll enjoy your drive every day. It's like bad traffic... it happens. Nothing you can do about it. You can hate all you want, in the end how you come out of a traffic jam is very much your own choice.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:35 AM   #31
HeadBanger

Drives: '14 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
The question is, why would you care if other car owners hate or don't like you? Why would you assume that a non-reaction is a sign of jealousy?

You can think your car is pretty all day... in the end, it's just another car to another person.

The sooner you get over this, the more you'll enjoy your drive every day. It's like bad traffic... it happens. Nothing you can do about it. You can hate all you want, in the end how you come out of a traffic jam is very much your own choice.

-alex
Very good point.

My question to you is why would you assume that I care what anybody thinks about my car, or me? It's just an observations I've made.

And are you saying our cars aren't pretty?
Old 08-02-2014, 10:34 AM   #32
m.wood0213
Driving Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaskrayon View Post
Most of the guys I wave to, wave back. To be very honest with you, I get more love from WRX and STi guys over FR-S/BRZ drivers.

This is what I experience. At least in my area it seems most frs drivers are young and act stuck up, BRZ drivers are older and I might get a wave if they notice me, but WRX drivers notice the WRB and know it's a Subaru and I usually get a honk or wave.
“This isn’t a supercar, it’s a sports car. It sacrifices rear seats yes but it just feels alive. Pure, direct, immediate. The other two are going to get all the admiring looks yes, that’s my point. I’m not driving around in this for other people’s benefit. I’m driving around in this BECAUSE I LOVE DRIVING IT. END!”
-Richard Hammond, Top Gear, USA Supercar Road Trip, 2011 Porsche GT3 RS.
My BRZ
m.wood0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:53 AM   #33
CoupedUpSubie

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I get waves and thumbs up from tons of WRX's and STi's. Even foresters and legacy's. Then again, I know most of the people that are "in the scene" in my area.
1993 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
CoupedUpSubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:09 AM   #34
blackhawkdown

Drives: 2012 WRX, 2003 RSX Type S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
why do you care if others wave back? you wouldn't wave to me if i was a stranger in a park would you? keep waving one day and the you meet the wrong gang, dead.
blackhawkdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:16 AM   #35
Laika
When In Doubt...

Drives: Slowww
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostamojen View Post
Impreza L owners adore us.
Impreza RS owners like us.
Impreza WRX owners tolerate us.
Impreza WRX STI owners look down on us.

Very interesting outlook.

I noticed the WRX drivers are younger and generally dislike the BRZ for low power and all that. The STI drivers I've noticed seem to maybe have a better appreciation of "driving" and will often wave in acknowledgement of another driving enthusiast.

Strangely enough, in the short amount of time it's been available, I've still received more waves from 2015 WRX drivers than all other WRX drivers.

Who knows though? I've gotten lots of waves from Mustang owners so all current data is null and void. We will investigate further.

Join the Galaxy Blue Silica BRZ registry below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2c&usp=sharing
Laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:21 AM   #36
Shagaliscious
Banned

Drives: Firestorm FR-S (MT)
Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,166 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
I don't get it. I didn't buy an Impreza. Why would I expect them to act like we're in a club together?

Do Impreza guys wave at lesbians in Foresters?
I wave at all cars I like.

I saw a sweet street rod last weekend and gave the guy a thumbs up, got a wave back too.

I don't think it depends on the car, BUT the more expensive the car gets, the less likely you will get a wave back.

I've also been late on waving back to a lot of other owners. So just because someone doesn't wave back, doesn't mean they are giving you the cold shoulder.
Shagaliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:46 AM   #37
NemesisPrime909

Drives: 91 Toyota Supra 16 Nissan Versa
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
That depends. Are you gorgeous?

I think they're offended that they're no longer the sporty Subaru, they're the heavy Subaru. They're still athletic, but they feel like the stocky sister that plays field hockey and softball, not the graceful sister that studies ballet.
Oh I don't know. Stocky girls can be quite graceful.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:49 AM   #38
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
The waving thing is about shared experience. When I had my Triumph, other British car drivers would wave at me, and I would wave at them. Why? Because we shared an experience that other people didn't really know about.

We knew we could pull over to the side of the road and immediately strike up a conversation about all the times our cars had broken down, what our last repair was or what strange things we had had to do to keep the thing from falling apart long enough to get it home. Sometimes we pulled over to the side of the road because another British car had broken down and was being repaired right there on the shoulder. We could talk about weird carburetor rebuilds (always with parts left over--ALWAYS), where the body was most likely to rust and when we had to pull the drain plugs out of the trunk to let the water drain out after the seals failed. We could trade tips on where to get parts and laugh about the parts we had had to order from England. In some instances the wave was a respectful acknowledgment of the other driver even having the damned thing on the road at all.

Owners of the twins have a similar shared experience, thankfully without the same level of unexpected failures. Not too long ago I bought a set of rims from another member here, and when I went to pick them up we talked about the cars for over an hour. You can compare notes on mods, plans for mods, weird quirks of the car (crickets!), weird reactions to the car, etc. I'll wave at another twin (if my spirited driving leaves a hand free) because I know that guy or girl shares all the secrets and irritations of owning this car. When you see me driving this car, you know a little something about me, and vice versa.

Corvette owners have that shared experience. Harley owners have that shared experience. Jeep Cherokee owners have it. Any fairly unique thing that has its own quirks is going to develop such a community.

Impreza owners may have that shared experience, but I don't know because I've never owned one and have never had any interest in owning one. What I do know is that I don't share their experience, and they don't share mine. I can talk with the owner of a twin for over an hour, but I have no idea what I would talk with a WRX owner about. We're not in the same community. I have no more in common with an Impreza owner than I do with someone who drives a Volkswagen. Waving at them would make me feel like a doofus, like that goofy kid in the back window of the school bus waving at all the cars like a moron while the other kids try to find somewhere else to sit.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
chas3wba0 (08-02-2014), HeadBanger (08-02-2014)
Old 08-02-2014, 11:52 AM   #39
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
PS-if I saw a tastefully modded twin I might give the driver a nod. Lately I've seen a lot of completely stock ones. Talked with a guy with one at a Jerk place the other day and it was leased. That explains a lot of them, I bet.

Also, I see ones around that are total Rice-A-Roni. The other night there was one hanging out at the local parking lot car summer meeting hangout. I hated the wayy too dark tinted taillights. Looks cheap and poorly thought out. Immediately that's rice to me. No nod. Sad buts that's my reaction.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:59 AM   #40
HeadBanger

Drives: '14 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
My car is leased.
Does that make me less of an enthusiast or something? 0.9% interest makes a lot more sense than 5.9%
Old 08-02-2014, 12:01 PM   #41
AzBRZ

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ with 4 pedals, '11 WRX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
When I drive my WRX the waving is pretty consistent/mutual. I think there is a lot more of a Subaru "community" then there is with Scion and most can't tell them apart so the return wave doesn't happen..

I agree with the above about waving to all sorts of car-guy cars and getting something back..
AzBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:51 PM   #42
BRZNutt

Drives: 2014 DGM Subaru Impreza 2.0i 5 Door
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I have an Impreza now and I still love you guys...