follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-22-2014, 03:37 PM   #29
sluflyer06

Drives: 2014 BRZ Ltd - DGM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RojerLockless View Post
Shrug it's the same car. Why pay more?
Except its not. While none of them are mechanical game changers the differences are there and some are significant to some but clearly there are a number of differnences in both styling and features.

I'd never have gone without HID, the LED DRL is sexy, the red accents in the FRS are a big no go (to me), I'm also a fan of auto climate having had it in ever car since '03 except my '06 wrx.
sluflyer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:05 PM   #30
P86RAVES

Drives: 08 WRB WRX STi / NA Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I have an FRS Series 10, get the BRZ.

The interior will make a difference over time. The leather corners and seat belt strap of the BRZ are less likely to wear as fast over time as the cloth ones of the FRS. That and they're easier to clean and look better. Win.

The conservative front end of the BRZ vs the aggressive one on the FRS. Think 99 Civic Si and 2000 Celica GTS. The Civic look boring compared to the Celica at the time, but now the Celica looks childish in comparison to the Civic. The BRZ front end will age better with time and with you.

I haven't driven a BRZ, but from what many people say in driving the two back-to-back, the BRZ handles more neutral and is more compliant. The FRS is very neutral to me, but if people are saying the BRZ is more so, maybe that's saying something. From what @Vishnu said, the 2015 is even better.

I'd check your google ratings to see how the dealerships stack up. This is going to play out big time for the after-sale relationship. Before the sale all dealers want to be your best friend, afterwards some treat you like family and some treat you like a number. If Toyota is better, go with them... the same vice-versa.

The color of the car is something you have to live with. If that Subaru White really catches your eye, go with that. If you don't, whenever you see one driving you may catch a case of the IShouldHaves.

Keep in mind an exhaust doesn't do much for these cars. It does increase the noise output but the performance gain is negligible. Giving up the car you really want by rationalizing you'd be able to modify the car you only kinda want quicker is logical, but it may be short sighted.

TL;DR Get the car you really want, not the one you settle for.
P86RAVES is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to P86RAVES For This Useful Post:
JARE_ee (07-22-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 04:39 PM   #31
rawrmatty

Drives: 2014 Monogram FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Go for a monogram they are worth it I just purchased one this last Sunday. A little more extras then the BRZ limited and the front bumper looks mean =]
rawrmatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:14 PM   #32
DaJo
FT86Club Vancouver

Drives: BRZ Sport-Tech; Drove: MR-S, AE86
Thanked 1,178 Times in 633 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrmatty View Post
Go for a monogram they are worth it I just purchased one this last Sunday. A little more extras then the BRZ limited and the front bumper looks mean =]
Congrats with your Monogram; aside from the rear seat leather arm rest and the leather knee pads, please explain how the Monogram has "alittle more extras over the BRZ". BRZ limited still have things over the Monogram; courtesy lights, sun visor lights, trunk liner, leather red-stitched e-brake + boot... etc. Not trying to say BRZ is better but there still are things the Limited has over the Monogram. Please do not mislead our members with false information.

2013 BRZ Sport-Tech 6AT
Since '12 (OEM+ STI tS Build)
2015 Lexus IS250 AWD F-Sport 2 2015-2018
2018 Lexus NX300 F-Sport 3 Since '18
DaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:16 PM   #33
CAMBAM_6
CAMBAM

Drives: '13 Whiteout FRS
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
[QUOTE=P86RAVES;1859869]I have an FRS Series 10, get the BRZ.

The interior will make a difference over time. The leather corners and seat belt strap of the BRZ are less likely to wear as fast over time as the cloth ones of the FRS. That and they're easier to clean and look better. Win.

The conservative front end of the BRZ vs the aggressive one on the FRS. Think 99 Civic Si and 2000 Celica GTS. The Civic look boring compared to the Celica at the time, but now the Celica looks childish in comparison to the Civic. The BRZ front end will age better with time and with you.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____

I'd have to disagree with a couple things here. First of all that ugly A$$ celica was ugly from day one, 2000 civic si looks way better in all aspects. I don't think our aggressive front bumper will age any less or more then the BRZ you either like it or you don't. (To me its like the old Levin and Treuno slight differences both still very popular to this day)

Also Leather does not last longer automatically then cloth, especially depends on where you live..Leather expands and compresses with temperature and heat can definately reduce the life of leather. I have seen some rips and fading/wrinkles on cars less then 10 years old in san diego with leather seats. As to wear a 20 y/o civic would have perfect cloth besides a cigarette burn (that was my 1991 honda crx lol)

Leather is easier to clean though and doesnt absorb stench like cloth can
AVodka14 (07-22-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 06:17 PM   #34
rawrmatty

Drives: 2014 Monogram FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJo View Post
Congrats with your Monogram; aside from the rear seat leather arm rest and the leather knee pads, please explain how the Monogram has "alittle more extras over the BRZ". BRZ limited still have things over the Monogram; courtesy lights, sun visor lights, trunk liner, leather red-stitched e-brake + boot... etc. Not trying to say BRZ is better but there still are things the Limited has over the Monogram. Please do not mislead our members with false information.
yeah that's my bad!

they are pretty equal when it comes down to it. I say find out which color you want and find a dealer that has it and go for it!

Both cars are just as equally beautiful as the other.

I guess I am just so happy still about my new baby ! lol
rawrmatty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rawrmatty For This Useful Post:
DaJo (07-22-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 08:35 PM   #35
D88

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by P86RAVES View Post
TL;DR Get the car you really want, not the one you settle for.
I'm guessing a lot of us wouldn't be driving an FR-S/BRZ if we didn't settle and bought what we really wanted.
D88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:54 PM   #36
AVodka14

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Whiteout and Satin White Pearl are same colors. All Suby paint jobs across the board.

I got my FRS when it first came out. I got a 1k new grad discount plus an employee discount through my brother (engineer at Georgetown plant in KY). If you can get a 2k cash incentive plus 1k grad discount equaling 3k discount. That's what I got and you can not beat that!

Now, I definitely would have gotten a Monogram if discounts were not available. Saving money was important at that time. I like the HIDs, Dual Climate Control, auto start, etc. Not necessities. Wish the Monogram was out then!
AVodka14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:01 PM   #37
hypercarfanatic
Banned

Drives: Own F-150XLT, Lexus RX300
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSHunter View Post
Get the 2016 Monogram FRS with Twin sequential Turbo. Comes with JDM T Shirt gun turret. My friend's aunty's cousin who bought a Prius from the Toyota dealer told me about this.
Ah...if only this was true. I mean, at LEAST release a 2015 Monogram. And 2016 was going to be a sedan I thought?
hypercarfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:17 PM   #38
Rocket.BRZ
Banned

Drives: 2010 WRX (sold) 2013 brz
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RojerLockless View Post
Shrug it's the same car. Why pay more?
Because, WRB.
Rocket.BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rocket.BRZ For This Useful Post:
Annahra (07-22-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 11:27 PM   #39
m.wood0213
Driving Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket.BRZ View Post
Because, WRB.

This.
“This isn’t a supercar, it’s a sports car. It sacrifices rear seats yes but it just feels alive. Pure, direct, immediate. The other two are going to get all the admiring looks yes, that’s my point. I’m not driving around in this for other people’s benefit. I’m driving around in this BECAUSE I LOVE DRIVING IT. END!”
-Richard Hammond, Top Gear, USA Supercar Road Trip, 2011 Porsche GT3 RS.
My BRZ
m.wood0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:33 AM   #40
FloridaFRSdriver

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS 6 Speed Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by JARE_ee View Post
haha

hey guys, i am torn between gettinga 2014 FR-S or 2015 BRZ.

I already made a down-payment (refundable) on the 2015 brz, however i noticed that the 2014 FR-S are on mad sale.

+2000 dollar cash incentive (which i plan to do anyways) + 1000 grad rebate (vs. brz 750)

Plus, fr-s is already slightly cheaper.

As it is now, i could get the 18' TRD wheels + Exhaust system, and still be cheaper than the BRZ!

As of now, the ETA of my 2015 BRZ is in september, so aanother bonus is no more waiting!

However,

the cons are: no subie , no push start + hid+led +keyless entry + leather seats + heated seats + auto climate + heated mirrors + crystal white pearl

Is it worth the trade off? and What would you do!
Get the FRS and save the money. Trust me, you can do without (and won't' miss) the push start, keyless entry, heated seats, auto-climate, heated mirros, HIDs and all the other fancy add ons. I had all of those and more (plus 425hp and sub-5 second 0-60 times) on my last car, and I don't miss them one bit. If this is your first new car and you've never had those things, I can see the appeal... but it really only adds up to more $$ not more fun or more driving experience. And that's why you're buying this car right? If its for 0-60 times and/or "upscale" equipment, then there are better choices. If its for pure driving experience, nothing can beat this car at $25K (new).

FYI, I had the same choice and got the FRS with very little options (I think spoiler, mud guard, whiteout and trunk mat were it) so I was good to go at $24,500. I could not see spending $27-$30K on a BRZ with the extras. Just not worth it. (Plus I just don't care for the BRZ front end styling).

My advice: get FRS cheap as possible, pay it off early, and put the savings into light-weight wheels, real performance tires and upgraded suspension (Hotchkis TVS1 or equivalent)... the upgraded handling will shock you and you'll forget about the extras.
2013 Whiteout FRS | 17"x8" Enkei RPF1s | Hotchkis TVS1 | Hotchkis Front End Links | Hotchkis Front Strut Tower Brace | Borla Cat-Back | K&N Drop-In Filter | Essex Sprint BBK, Stoptech SS brake lines, Perrin Master Cylinder Brace (the last few awaiting install)
FloridaFRSdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FloridaFRSdriver For This Useful Post:
D88 (07-23-2014), JARE_ee (07-23-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 01:33 AM   #41
frsvr4

Drives: '13 FRS
Quote:
I have an FRS Series 10, get the BRZ.

Agreed, and I wish my FRS had the push button start and digital climate control.

Quote:
The Civic was always boring and the Celica was always ugly but far from boring. Similar to any year Tiburon.

The BRZ front bumper is exactly why I have an FRS and in the last 2 years, I've grown to dislike the BRZ's mustache more, not less. I considered swapping bumpers onto a BRZ, but didn't think the interior upgrades were worth the trouble.

Given how few people successfully reinstall front bumpers on these cars, I'm very happy to leave mine in place. Hell, I'll use a stage 1 innovate SC and forester oil cooler to quench my urge for more power and delay bumper removal as long as possible. I'm hoping that makes it a high 13 second car with drag radials

Quote:
The color of the car is something you have to live with. If that Subaru White really catches your eye, go with that. If you don't, whenever you see one driving you may catch a case of the IShouldHaves.
I didn't want 2 cars in the garage with various shades of pearl white on them I thought I was going to have IShouldHaves about the ultra marine though...

Quote:
Keep in mind an exhaust doesn't do much for these cars. It does increase the noise output but the performance gain is negligible. Giving up the car you really want by rationalizing you'd be able to modify the car you only kinda want quicker is logical, but it may be short sighted.
Couldn't agree more about minimizing exhaust modifications! My other car has a 4" exhaust and it wakes up the neighborhood. It's just not as functional as something you can sneak around in
Old 07-23-2014, 01:56 AM   #42
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Always the comparisons of what you get stock off lot. Guess I don't get that argument as all of what gets compared is all easily obtainable and is not exactly a fortune or hard to do. It's a tuners car mod it to way you want it to be? Guess there are those that will leave it 100% stock I just think that crowd is a minority? I certainly could be wrong but I like my interior now much more then any BRZ I've been in but ya I put some work and coin into it, no regrets.