follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 09-20-2023, 10:36 AM   #1
Nstewart
Idiot

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Lowering and Coilovers

Hello,

I'm considering purchasing the FA 500 series coilovers, which I’m sure many of you are familiar with as they seem like a very popular option. While I've done some research, I haven't been able to find the exact information I'm looking for. So here's the issue, the stock fitment on the car looks terrible, and although I'm not a fan of the "slammed" look, I would like to lower it. The problem is that I really love the way the car handles, and I'd hate to compromise its performance.

So, my question is, how low should I go? I've heard that a modest drop can improve handling with the right setup. Since I haven't placed an order with Fortune Auto yet, I still have the opportunity to customize the coilovers. Therefore, I'm wondering what is the ideal height and how do I customize the coilovers accordingly.

In my specific situation, I do daily the car, but I don't mind a slightly harsher ride. I also enjoy some “spirited driving” and plan on limited track use and autocross events. Any advice is much appreciated, thanks!

TL;DR: I need guidance on specing my coilovers and lowering my car.
Nstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 12:34 PM   #2
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,144 Times in 1,989 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Perfect drop amount is around 1 inch. There's a lot of setups that can support this setup as a set and forget. A few below

Bilstein B16s
Tein Flex Z
RCE Yellow Combo
RCE Yellow Springs
TRD Lowering Springs
STi Lowering Springs

Whenever you reduce the height, you will see a change in behavior, but is more applicable to comfort. For example, I have the Bilstein B16s, even though I went exactly a one inch drop all around, handling wise, was a small improvement. Comfort wise, I can feel the road and bumps a little more compared to OEM. But the car didn't technically suffer in performance.

My recommendation, as it was the same the guys at RCE was, is to slowly introduce yourself to suspension mods. Start with lowering springs. Drive a few months with it, attend sport events, see how it goes. The move on and add more things as you see fit.

Your Fortune 500s seem to be a little more advanced for what your goal is. I would still recommend lowering springs to start.
Dirty Harry (09-30-2023), Spuds (10-08-2023)
Old 09-20-2023, 12:36 PM   #3
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,325 Times in 7,383 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
There is a whole section of the boards devoted to this subject, it would be a good idea to browse there.

The Fortune's are not super popular on this board, not to say they are bad or anything. If you go through the build threads and the suspension discussion section, they are not common.

Most people are running around -1 to -1.25 I would say.
Spuds (10-08-2023), x808drifter (09-30-2023)
Old 09-20-2023, 12:45 PM   #4
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,325 Times in 7,383 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
I also feel that it needs to be said. If you plan on doing some autoX check in with some local groups. You don’t want to do a bunch of mods blindly and find out it sticks you in a ridiculous class. Take a look at SSC or STX and see what the rules allow What part of the state are you in? I know quite of few people in that circle that could answer some questions you may have. It’s easy to jump into the modification rabbit hole without realizing how far down it goes. You could end up blowing a bunch of money that you don’t need to in parts you can’t use. Been there, done that
Spuds (10-08-2023), x808drifter (09-30-2023)
Old 09-20-2023, 08:28 PM   #5
Muffled

Drives: 2013 BRZ
I had your same criteria - want to lower for looks but minimize any negative driving impacts. I chose Bilstein B14s mostly because they didn't have sky high spring rates like all the other coilover options.

Their lowest setting gives a 25mm drop. The car is markedly stiffer than stock, but there is still some compliance (which I wanted). My biggest gripe is the rear hits the bump stops too often with extra weight in the back (ie luggage for a road trip).

On a back road/on ramp/autox with a bit of camber in the front, I LOVED how the car behaved. Sadly the coils are off while I try to get them rebuilt - I think the seals are done after 1.5 years.

My opinion is there isn't really an "ideal height" - everyone drives differently and has different demands from their car/suspension. Coilovers are a big deal, and setting them up "properly" is an art that you can get pretty deep into.
Muffled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 01:09 PM   #6
Nstewart
Idiot

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Thanks for all your advice. Im definitely not trying to go to heavy on mods and ill look into Bilstein coilovers and into the build and suspension threads. Thanks again!
Nstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 08:44 AM   #7
Dirty Harry

Drives: 2013 BRZ Satin White Pearl
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
RCE Yellow or STI Pink lowering springs get my vote. I’ve got STI Pinks on my car, brilliant, car sits flatter in the corners and ride comfort is roughly the same. But they only lower by 15mm, from a cosmetic perspective, I think 20mm would be ideal. RCE Yellows lower by 20mm I believe. Can’t go wrong with either though.

Last edited by Dirty Harry; 09-30-2023 at 09:19 AM.
Dirty Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 11:37 AM   #8
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,981 Times in 2,197 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Ninja pirate kami sez "Dat gap yo!"

Name:  npksdgy.png
Views: 200
Size:  262.8 KB

Last edited by bcj; 09-30-2023 at 11:51 AM.
bcj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coil over, coilovers, fortune auto, performance, suspension