follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-03-2014, 06:56 PM   #29
aznatama

Drives: 2014 BRZ MT (Sold); 2006 V70R
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wrapped header is no where near equivalent to coated. Wrapping is for a different goal (although some goals are shared) and comes with different risks. For a DD, coating is best imo.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2014, 09:12 PM   #30
Hyper4mance2k
Shadetree Project Ratchet

Drives: series.Blue
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
So much misinformation in this thread. I ceramic costed my header in my NA Rx7 Trac car and saw under good temps drop by over 50*. Not only that, but insolating the heat in the exhaust keeps the energy in the exhaust and will allow a properly designed header to scavenge better. The problem here is that I have yet to see a single header on the market with a scavaging collector. If you're just getting a header to sound cool, then don't worry about ceramic coating it. However, if you're doing it for the competitive advantage, then it's a must as every last bit counts. Plus, a coated header will outlast a noncoated header two fold.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:23 PM   #31
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Boy View Post
there are tests that have been done on the Nameless Header Thread, underhood temps were monitored on key components and also random underhood areas , which have turned out to be similar to noncoated. i personally wrapped my overpipe and i can touch it with my fingers just after a pull , and its not hot unless you literally press you finger and hold it. but you can also feel the radiant head from the wrapped overpipe is very very minimal then move my hand towards the uncoated / unwrapped header and wow its like a torch, as well as the frontpipe .. if wrapping wouldnt void my header warrenty id do it, and its also like a wick when it gets oil soaked, catchs fire easy. The absolute bomb is a custom made heat blanket , but thats dam pricey, check out the one Crawford had for his turbo set up its sick

Depends if they're coating internal and external and the type of coating used. Also, there's sealers that should be used over the wrap to keep them from falling apart and this also stops them from acting like a wick.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:58 AM   #32
calibrz
Turbo 86

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ceramic Coating is need as IMO, used to own M3 with aftermarket header, ceramic coat keeps the engine bay not reach too hot to burn the car out.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:20 AM   #33
aznatama

Drives: 2014 BRZ MT (Sold); 2006 V70R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
Depends if they're coating internal and external and the type of coating used. Also, there's sealers that should be used over the wrap to keep them from falling apart and this also stops them from acting like a wick.
AFAIK, P&L is the only company that has headers coated inside and out. JDL only coats the outside. Not sure about SpeedFactory, but would imagine outside only.

If you're going to coat it, do both inside and out. The whole point is to keep the gasses hot and prevent heat from escaping.
aznatama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:21 AM   #34
Wepeel

Drives: '13 BRZ Ltd
I believe the Borla Headers are ceramic coated. No idea on the quality of it though.
Wepeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:56 PM   #35
Tainen

Drives: First SWP BRZ-L
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznatama View Post
AFAIK, P&L is the only company that has headers coated inside and out. JDL only coats the outside. Not sure about SpeedFactory, but would imagine outside only.

If you're going to coat it, do both inside and out. The whole point is to keep the gasses hot and prevent heat from escaping.

Nameless is coated inside and out as well.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:22 AM   #36
BC-Boy

Drives: 2013 Brz sport-tech
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
True, but i have been told from the fab shops that have built my products, that a lead cause to cracking of stainless is tightly wrapped headers, that the the general rule of thumb is to have the less possible overlap, and to not get it too tight as stainless needs to breath and absorb ambient air as it expands, it also moves alot and a pipe that is wrapped to tightly will prevent it from moving, also if one section has minimal overlap and one section is doubled up then that section will become hotter and expand at a different rate, having minimal overlap and consistanty tru out the wrapping process insures even expansion and "breathability" for the steel. i have seen the spray and im sure it does work great but ive been told to either light wrap or not wrap the headers to insure longevity , personnally ive tightly wrapped my overpipe with 50/50 overlap but it does not reach the same temps as primarys on a header. i didnt even wrap my header or coat it, there are no well know coaters here they have all been a joke. so we stick to wrap or sheilds.
BC-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:41 AM   #37
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper4mance2k View Post
The problem here is that I have yet to see a single header on the market with a scavaging collector.
In this thread http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21076
Lee@JDL gives his design process for their collector. (For some reason I can't quote from that thread.)
"The gist of it is, I designed several collector profiles and then compared the resulting flow fields to the "baseline" collector design that has already been built and tested. I repeated these CFD runs for a range of exhaust flow rates to see if the benefits I found were across the board or only at a specific operating point. When I say a "benefit", I'm referring to reduced pressure losses across the collector. This benefit will be realized via reduced backpressure to the exhausting cylinders (and hopefully more power!)."

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
Hyper4mance2k (06-05-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 01:13 PM   #38
Hyper4mance2k
Shadetree Project Ratchet

Drives: series.Blue
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
In this thread http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21076
Lee@JDL gives his design process for their collector. (For some reason I can't quote from that thread.)
"The gist of it is, I designed several collector profiles and then compared the resulting flow fields to the "baseline" collector design that has already been built and tested. I repeated these CFD runs for a range of exhaust flow rates to see if the benefits I found were across the board or only at a specific operating point. When I say a "benefit", I'm referring to reduced pressure losses across the collector. This benefit will be realized via reduced backpressure to the exhausting cylinders (and hopefully more power!)."
Thanks. I have been looking at the JDL header, but I just wish he had tried a megaphone combined with a reverse cone for improved scavenging.