follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 09-10-2017, 11:07 AM   #169
Jshreiner

Drives: Red frs and a few 90s celicas
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexEight View Post
Quick DS questions: why does it seem like people either love or hate their Strano front bars? Also, is it ok to use one with stock end links? I have a used one ready to install and may want to stay in DS but am second guessing installing it if it's not a good front bar.

My co driver and I both like my strano bar and koni ds setup with re71 tires. He drove another locals brz with konis whiteline bar and re71 and said it was horrible and pushed no matter what he did. Might have some to do with alignment as well.
Jshreiner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jshreiner For This Useful Post:
ApexEight (09-10-2017), Shark_Bait88 (09-11-2017), strat61caster (09-10-2017)
Old 09-10-2017, 02:36 PM   #170
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshreiner View Post
My co driver and I both like my strano bar and koni ds setup with re71 tires. He drove another locals brz with konis whiteline bar and re71 and said it was horrible and pushed no matter what he did. Might have some to do with alignment as well.
It's just so easy to over-drive the front end of this car with stock-ish camber, I think too much front bar would just make it waaay easier to overdrive the front. The only reason I would criticize the current SSC setup is because even with (supposedly) two camber bolts (small SPC bottom hole, OE crash bolt top hole, maybe no Koni washer to mimic OE struts if we're optimistic) is that at best you'll be getting around -2.5 degrees which still isn't enough to make full use of the front tire imho. Everything else about it looks like a pretty sweet deal with adjustable shocks and sways and (most) alignment so you can get some hands on experience developing a car without jumping into the more complicated and expensive ST* pool.

With the bigger whiteline it probably gains a bit in transitions over the strano, improving one of the big weaknesses of a DS car (soft springs) but it requires patient smooth turn-in to not create a glaring weakness.

Hence why I said it comes down to style earlier. Someone super smooth on entry who wants a car that can be quick on transitions probably doesn't like the Strano bar as it's too stock-like. The eibach bars are pretty stiff (25mm tube vs. strano 22mm tube) so it'll be interesting to see where people end up and if they're allowed one aftermarket bar like the rest of street class (I hope so...)
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Shark_Bait88 (09-11-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 10:06 AM   #171
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Quick DS questions: why does it seem like people either love or hate their Strano front bars? Also, is it ok to use one with stock end links? I have a used one ready to install and may want to stay in DS but am second guessing installing it if it's not a good front bar.
Let me rephrase: I really like the handling improvement of the Strano bar. It really improved transition on the car, slaloms felt great. I hate the fitment. It's apparently worked for some people without issues, even using OE endlinks. I couldn't get it to not make super loud clunk with the OE links. Thought about switching to adjustable Whiteline links, but saw enough people who had issues with those too that I decided not to waste my money/time on a gamble.

Removed the bar yesterday, put stock back on, no more clunks. Gonna sell the Strano bar, do the last 3 events of the season on stock, and either put on a new FSB next year or go SSC. I really wish the Strano bar didn't have fitment issues, because it performs very well. It just makes daily driving almost intolerable.
strat61caster (09-11-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 10:08 AM   #172
Shark_Bait88

Quote:
Did the other BRZ have the 20mm or 22mm WL bar?
Old 09-12-2017, 04:18 PM   #173
Jshreiner

Brz was on the 22mm whiteline. We both have the whiteline endlinks as well.

On another note I had trouble with my endlinks constantly coming loose with my strano bar so I ended up putting lock washers on to keep them tight. It also took a few tries to get it adjusted to not clunk every bump.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jshreiner For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 04:31 PM   #174
brewdad16

Drives: currently shopping
really excited to see this concept migrate over from road racing

really excited to see a newer and inexpensive car selected for it

Have a '13 FRS being freebie transferred to a CarMax near me to test fit kiddo seat, see how it is, etc. If it'll work I'll be shopping in earnest and submitting an order to TireRack for the suspension kit the next day.
The Following User Says Thank You to brewdad16 For This Useful Post:
Shark_Bait88 (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 05:09 PM   #175
ApexEight

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT SSM
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Anyone know if the SUR4G is dailyable? Seems like it'll be the Spec tire. And do they run wide?
ApexEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:19 PM   #176
Locust
Custom User Title

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S, 2012 OB Evo X MR
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Locust
Quote:
Brz was on the 22mm whiteline. We both have the whiteline endlinks as well.

On another note I had trouble with my endlinks constantly coming loose with my strano bar so I ended up putting lock washers on to keep them tight. It also took a few tries to get it adjusted to not clunk every bump.
I chased swaybar clunk for over a year with my Whiteline endlinks. That noise drove me nuts! I've had less issues running the Perrin non-adjustable links after I snapped a seized Whiteline one at the start of this season.

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:
DSGPerformance Drift Office Evil Apex Racing

Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:32 PM   #177
Shark_Bait88

Took my Strano bar off and put stock back on, clunk is almost completely gone. It will happen still at full lock over large bumps, but it's much quieter. I'm guessing the nuts likely just need to be tightened a little.

Now the debate of whether I'll be running SSC Eibach bars next year, or staying in DS and going with a different FSB...
Old 09-12-2017, 05:37 PM   #178
ryan t

Drives: frs
i guess i got lucky, my cusco bar with stock links has never made any noise
ryan t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:41 PM   #179
Shark_Bait88

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan t View Post
i guess i got lucky, my cusco bar with stock links has never made any noise
I've really only heard of there being issues with the Strano bar. It's a shame, because I liked the way the car felt with it. But being primarily a DD, the clunk was unbearable.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:48 PM   #180
Biggins

Drives: Yes
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewdad16 View Post
really excited to see this concept migrate over from road racing

really excited to see a newer and inexpensive car selected for it

Have a '13 FRS being freebie transferred to a CarMax near me to test fit kiddo seat, see how it is, etc. If it'll work I'll be shopping in earnest and submitting an order to TireRack for the suspension kit the next day.
Welcome, I suspect there will be many more joining the class.

Quote:
Anyone know if the SUR4G is dailyable? Seems like it'll be the Spec tire. And do they run wide?
Where did you hear this? The sample car was on Hankook RS4s. I have heard the Nexen is good but very loud on the street.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:47 PM   #181
Jshreiner

Everyone thinks it will be the SUR4G because price but it will most likely come down to availability and who gives tire rack the beast deal. The RS4 may have been chosen due to Chris Harvey's like of the tire. I'm not sure he still feels the same about it as he did during the tire rack test but when we talked to him he seemed to really like the RS4.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:49 PM   #182
ApexEight

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT SSM
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
@Biggins Just from rumors I've read. How arr thr RS4s for dual duty? Do they wear poorly and also run loud?
ApexEight is offline   Reply With Quote