follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-20-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
yera

Drives: Corolla e11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Toyota working on low budget FR sports car!!!

According to the BC Super Scoop Special issue, Toyota is working on a low budget FR sports car, which will compete with Mazda's new MX-5! It is not the first time I come across with this info, but now there are at least some number claimed...

So, BC claims that the new car should make its debut in 2013 and it will cost around ¥ 1,500,000. The engine will displace 1.5L delivering 105 ps and 14.4 kgm of torque. Power will be transmitted via a manual gearbox to the rear wheels and it should manage a fuel efficiency of 16.0 km/L. Total length is claimed to be 3,570 mm. Hmm, not impressed yet? Well, the total weight should be around 900 kg!!!

Read more: Japanese Car Design Corner / 日本自動車設計角 http://jp-cardesigncorner.blogspot.com/#ixzz1EY2F2Zjl
Old 02-20-2011, 07:22 PM   #2
ryun84

Drives: 04 PSM WRX Wagon
2-seater baby FT?
ryun84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:29 PM   #3
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
These pics are old.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:24 PM   #4
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Repost, but if that's what the production version of the TES sports concept is going to look like, then bring it. Nice follow up to the FT-86.

Now where's the Supra?
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:20 PM   #5
hogge

Drives: ToyotaCelicaST162
I don't get why people aren't more interrested in this.
I live in Sweden and here cars are hugely expensive due to taxes, plus that it's a good looking RWD car that an average joe can buy without loans. Or at least that's what it's supposed to be anyways.

I really think that Toyota are on to something here. The reason sports cars usually cost much is their low sales volumes. But what if Toyota just build a car like this and market it as the cheapest thing a young person can buy. Just think about it.
Because it's a sports car, you don't need rear doors or rear seats. You don't need to make the car safe for the people in the rear, as there won't be any people in the rear. Due to the lower roof line, it'll be cheaper to make the car rigid and safe for its two passengers and the lesser amount of metal should also bring the price down.
Due to small size, they can make the car very light and aerodynamic, giving it hugely good mileage. As a young person, I can also say that I don't need heated seats or AC as standard. Just give me an optional sun roof and electric windows and I'll be just fine. All these things enable Toyota to sell it cheaply and market it as very safe and economical: as a more practical alternative to a people with kids than any little hatchback. This could generate huge sales volumes.

I'm currently driving around in my '88 Celica, but I've just recently started to look for jobs. Right now I want a small two seater sports car that looks good. And that's a problem, because the sports cars for sale in Sweden right now (BMW Z-whatever, Mercedes SLK, Nissan 370Z) all are hugely expensive, while I don't trust the used cars.
Many used cars, especially sports cars, have worn out gearboxes and clutches, while some have been chipped, making the engine liable to break. Plus, since it's Sweden, cars that are less than ten years old can have a fair bit of rust.
hogge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:45 PM   #6
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yera View Post
So, BC claims that the new car should make its debut in 2013 and it will cost around ¥ 1,500,000. The engine will displace 1.5L delivering 105 ps and 14.4 kgm of torque. Power will be transmitted via a manual gearbox to the rear wheels and it should manage a fuel efficiency of 16.0 km/L. Total length is claimed to be 3,570 mm. Hmm, not impressed yet? Well, the total weight should be around 900 kg!!!

l

Wow thats.....even more compact than the AE86. O_o

Sounds more like a Cappuccino successor

Anyone else see that Suzuki swift S concept and immediately think it was a Renault?

Still, highly interested in this car!
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote