follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #729
azburnin

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky1980 View Post
They are changing out my ECM as well... when/if i ever get my car ill post up exact parts replaced but im kinda in the dark as they arent really telling me much.

Yes high loss of power when cel/slip lights were on.. it was sorta a limp mode that didtn seem to have a rev limiter. but QUITE noticeable i had to drive about 7 miles to dealership on interstate and it was an quite a difference.

my parts were cam sprocket/gears,ecm, oil sending unit(is waht service writer called it but he doesnt seem 100% part smart).

still no eta on parts arrival.
It's amazing that all of this is bad, it's new! I dont know how there aren't answers for this yet.

What's the total people so far stating they have this common issue? There has to be something! Not just random parts making it possibly fixed.

We should just do some motor swaps. Get a group buy on some ISF motors lol
azburnin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to azburnin For This Useful Post:
ngabdala (08-27-2012)
Old 08-25-2012, 05:29 PM   #730
driftartist
Kurenai Samurai

Drives: Red and manual
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Not isf motors but ej motors. We can sti our 86s
driftartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:22 AM   #731
azburnin

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftartist View Post
Not isf motors but ej motors. We can sti our 86s
Probably cheaper too lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to azburnin For This Useful Post:
driftartist (08-28-2012)
Old 08-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #732
computertech01

Drives: Jetta MK1V
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Ok so let me explain my situation before I throw out my problem. I'm new to driving a six speed as my dd before I would drive my brothers integra 5mt from time to time and I got down driving with a stick. Now I never felt like I had to rev the car when I'm shifting into first driving his old car but If I don't rev it to at least 2k (i'll test these numbers more tomorrow) shifting into first from a standing position the engine bogs down. When it does this either I end up stalling or the traction control light comes on and the engine makes this horrible noise like its knocking then kicks in like its normal.

Also my car normally idles at 500-400.

Just got back from driving it a little more trying to recreate this issue and I've smoothed it out a bit. If you almost stall it from standing it makes this horrible noise then a surge of power.

Something interesting I noticed was the fact that my car idled higher at 700+ when the ac was on but when I turned it off it dipped back to 500-600. What should our cars be idling at?

I keep thinking of things to add.... I forgot to specify that I'm at 300miles and just added some 93, was still running off dealer gas.

Last edited by computertech01; 08-26-2012 at 11:24 AM.
computertech01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:30 PM   #733
White64Goat

Drives: 13 BRZ CBS LTD MT, 02 WRX
Thanked 1,111 Times in 627 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
If you wonder what parts are being replaced, go here http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8374 and go to the engine service PDF and go to pages EM10 through EM25 and you will see what they are replacing and what has to come apart to do the repair.
White64Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White64Goat For This Useful Post:
azburnin (08-26-2012)
Old 08-28-2012, 11:21 PM   #734
baadshah

Drives: premium silver
I bumped into the warranty section for the first time. Looking at these issued I am worried I am having the same problem. I dont have CEL, but once a while my engine shudders while I press on the clutch(no load condition) and shift from 1st to 2nd. My guess is this is happening only in manual. Auto never go into no load condition except for low/high idle. Some engines have problems at no load conditions (infamous return to idle).
I work on engine controls and I can say idle is definitely bad. That idle performance is not acceptable for a DI engine
Loss of power with CEL is a bad omen. Power derate with a fault code signifies major component failure. Derate is imposed only when the engine thinks that is bound to knock or misfire without this component and hence limits itself in the power map.

I dont think this problem would be solved with parts unless it popped up because of error in the manufacturing line. Sounds like toybaru should release a software patch.
baadshah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to baadshah For This Useful Post:
Marrk (08-29-2012)
Old 08-29-2012, 04:08 PM   #735
governor

Drives: 2013 FR-S Navy Blue
Had this problem yesterday.

Took my FR-S to the dealership this morning, 6MT, 2069 km of mileage. CEL and Traction lights on. Engine almost stalls on idle (esp. noticeable at red lights) after a few minutes of driving. Once the shuddering was so bad I looked around the car to see if someone outside was physically rocking the car..

After their inspection and reproduction of the problems, the mechanic talked to Scion Canada and they decided they are going to replace the oil control valve (I assume an error code points to this being faulty). This is the first time I have heard of a faulty oil control valve, and apparently it isn't a cheap part either (~1700$). So now I have to wait 4-5 weeks for a part that I am not certain will resolve the issue (based on what I have read so far about this problem cam, ECU etc.).

Other problems I am having:
- Launching in 2 Gear. Around ~2500 rpm in second gear the car will lurch forward as it accelerates (slow release of clutch). Service rep thinks that it may be related to oil control valve, but since I never have this behavior in any other gear at similar rpm I am skeptical - but I don't know how the controls are set up on the vehicle.
- Buzzing noise from rear. Didn't really determine which one it is, so it'll have to wait until I get the car back. They will keep it until its fixed.
governor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to governor For This Useful Post:
Marrk (08-29-2012)
Old 08-30-2012, 12:18 PM   #736
Skye

Drives: TR2,CooperS,BRZ
If this is an actuator problem how hard is to change an actuator?
Skye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:12 AM   #737
governor

Drives: 2013 FR-S Navy Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by computertech01 View Post
Now I never felt like I had to rev the car when I'm shifting into first driving his old car but If I don't rev it to at least 2k (i'll test these numbers more tomorrow) shifting into first from a standing position the engine bogs down.
I had the same experience. Car would feel like it would nearly stall for the first 500-1000km if it wasn't at least 2000-2500 when starting to release the clutch (which was strange since I was advised to break in the engine for 1500 km below 3000 rpm). As I worked on breaking-in the engine, this ended up dropping and got to a point where I could even start releasing the clutch around 1k rpm and barely notice rpm dip (pretty much from high-idle).

Unfortunately for me, it seems that the more the engine started to like the lower rpms, the worse the idle became and eventually CEL and SL came on. Just wait till you feel like someone is rocking the boat when you are sitting at a red light, quite the WTF moment. Just remember to apply the gas when it happens to reduce the severity and eliminate the shudder. (Actually, there is no guarantee this will happen to you.)
governor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #738
White64Goat

Drives: 13 BRZ CBS LTD MT, 02 WRX
Thanked 1,111 Times in 627 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Skye, read and follow link in #734 above.
White64Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #739
azburnin

Has Anyone else found out from the dealer of what is actually causing this yet? I know a lot of you guys have had your cars in the shop for a while now. Any Word?
Old 09-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #740
sa1126

Drives: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by azburnin View Post
Has Anyone else found out from the dealer of what is actually causing this yet? I know a lot of you guys have had your cars in the shop for a while now. Any Word?
This. I am having the idle issue without the CEL or traction light and never thought anything of it. Should I take the car in?

sa1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #741
azburnin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa1126 View Post
This. I am having the idle issue without the CEL or traction light and never thought anything of it. Should I take the car in?
Same thing is happening to me. I've taken it in, they told me they couldn't find anything coming up when they ran a check on it. Nor could they recreate it. If yours is more persistent then mine. Yes. It wont hurt to take it in, the more people bring this to toyotas, subaru's attention the fast there will be a remedy. Respectively.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #742
Ericbdrummin

Drives: Scion FR-S
My car originally had a bad idle, intense shaking,etc, without the CEL coming on.
After about 3 or 4 instances of that all the lights came on.
Go get it checked !!!!
Ericbdrummin is offline   Reply With Quote