follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 02-24-2019, 10:11 AM   #99
Swift
I just Drive.

Drives: in the womb still
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Most people say hard work pays off. Not neccessarily true and I am truth to that. It is how smart you work and looking ahead. Most important of all is balancing a checkbook and wants vs needs.

No amount of hard work from you can help a business owner that inherited his wealth from driving his company into the ground. So be smart, and look for other work and get out.

I know a guy who worked a union job for his whole life, bit^*$ng and moaning too. Retired for one year and died from medical issues. So don't work a job you hate, but look for the most sensible way out.

PS- Start getting up at crack of dawn and going to work out, eat a decent breakfast, by the time 9am rolls around you think half the day has gone by and you are typically in a better mood.

-92' Acura Legend 5spd coupe twin turbo project
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
covance (02-24-2019), soundman98 (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 12:06 PM   #100
covance

Drives: 2015 BRZ series.blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHugeFatGuy View Post
This is why the tiny house movement exists. People want lower bills and/or more time near family, and a tiny home gives you both. OP could work it out too, as he has a skill that can work remote. Minimalism is gaining steam too, probably for the same reasons.

I went into freelance since I was that meme from a few pages back. A bachelor's doesn't mean anything when the industry just pooped the bed. So, I got a 9 - 5 (actually 7 to 4:30 with every other Friday off) and decided to see if I could make money doing what I like on the side. Today, freelance brings in more than my gov't job, for about half the hours. I keep the main job because I like it (and the health care is insanely good), and I use the side grind to pay down debt (just house), car mods, and kid's college. I could leave the daily grind anytime, but I like my job, and don't like risk.
where do you find freelance gigs? I spent a few months applying to them on odesk/upwork but no luck.
covance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 05:33 PM   #101
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I'm assuming you do realize the risks these folks took to get into the position you describe, correct? .
Yes. They are both my friends personally and my clients professionally.

I am not arguing there is no risk nor that business owners don't carry risk. Do not misinterpret what I write. I am a former sole-proprietor and operator of an LLC as well. I know many small business owners that used their own personal capital to create and operate the business and it is their sole source of revenue - but my original statements were not about them at all. It was specific only to qualifier "multi-millionaire business owner." It also doesn't ONLY apply to entrepreneur demographic either as the core of my argument was that system exists such that the tools and means to mitigate or eliminate risk grow as one's income grows and those who are often the labor (employees) are at greater risk due to their financial reality and thusly carry the real burden of what can arguably considered "real risk". It's not just risk endured by the labor force in failiure of the company either, but also that same labor force is as risk when the company finds efficiencies to be further profitable. An increase in efficiency almost always results in a reduction in the need of human capital. Example - in 5-10 years when AI trucks displace the million+ truck drivers - the owners of those trucking companies will be wealthier than ever but the majority of the truckers will be unemployed with no alternate skill set to generate revenue - in that industry those truckers carry ALL the risk.

Also, most of the folks I know, with some exception, carry very little risk - their business entity may have taken risk - but not them, not their personal assets and that's because they used other people capital to initiate their enterprise and like the smart capitalists they were, the UBI borrowed that money, carried that risk...not the individual. The small biz owners who are sole-proprietors using their own capital for both finance and operations - yeah, they're LOADED with risk but they usually have <5 employees but my other friends businesses are funded by OPM loaned to the UBI so their business could be dissolved in bankruptcy court and none of their personal wealth, savings, retirement or other revenue streams would be impacted - unlike their employees.

It's all about calling a spade a spade. The concept that the owner/CEO etc, "carries all the risk" is a long proven fallacy. For those that don't understand that, I have a golden parachute to sell you.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:33 PM   #102
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
I'm sorry but that's simply not true at all. It's a falsehood that's so often perpetuated by the folks who benefit from you believing it. None of the multi-millionaires and business owners I know are holding any risk. Some have put some of their own capital into the enterprise but not more than they can afford to depart with.

They could all shutter their businesses tomorrow and all of the wealth and alternate revenue streams (rental income, dividends, capital gains) would remain in tact. Meanwhile all their employees would be screwed because they only have a sole source of income and it's fair to argue that in most cases employees carry the real risk in the success/failure of the business, not the multi-millionaire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
Yes. They are both my friends personally and my clients professionally.

I am not arguing there is no risk nor that business owners don't carry risk. Do not misinterpret what I write. I am a former sole-proprietor and operator of an LLC as well. I know many small business owners that used their own personal capital to create and operate the business and it is their sole source of revenue - but my original statements were not about them at all. It was specific only to qualifier "multi-millionaire business owner." It also doesn't ONLY apply to entrepreneur demographic either as the core of my argument was that system exists such that the tools and means to mitigate or eliminate risk grow as one's income grows and those who are often the labor (employees) are at greater risk due to their financial reality and thusly carry the real burden of what can arguably considered "real risk". It's not just risk endured by the labor force in failiure of the company either, but also that same labor force is as risk when the company finds efficiencies to be further profitable. An increase in efficiency almost always results in a reduction in the need of human capital. Example - in 5-10 years when AI trucks displace the million+ truck drivers - the owners of those trucking companies will be wealthier than ever but the majority of the truckers will be unemployed with no alternate skill set to generate revenue - in that industry those truckers carry ALL the risk.

Also, most of the folks I know, with some exception, carry very little risk - their business entity may have taken risk - but not them, not their personal assets and that's because they used other people capital to initiate their enterprise and like the smart capitalists they were, the UBI borrowed that money, carried that risk...not the individual. The small biz owners who are sole-proprietors using their own capital for both finance and operations - yeah, they're LOADED with risk but they usually have <5 employees but my other friends businesses are funded by OPM loaned to the UBI so their business could be dissolved in bankruptcy court and none of their personal wealth, savings, retirement or other revenue streams would be impacted - unlike their employees.

It's all about calling a spade a spade. The concept that the owner/CEO etc, "carries all the risk" is a long proven fallacy. For those that don't understand that, I have a golden parachute to sell you.
You are arguing that employees carry just as much risk as owners, which is absurd. Employees have almost no risk that they do not choose to bring on themselves by being morons and making horrific financial decisions.

Most business owners are nowhere near rich. Most businesses in the USA are small. About 89% of all business in the USA has less than 20 employees.

There are over 24 million businesses in the USA that are individually operated with no employees. So the business owner takes all the risk.

There are only about 19,000 businesses that are actual big business. If you want to say those owners/ceo's have low to zero risk, I'm right there with you.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to why? For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (02-24-2019), MuseChaser (02-24-2019), new2subaru (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 08:44 PM   #103
Gunman

Drives: 2019 Mazda Miata RF
Thanked 1,317 Times in 736 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Garage
Good advice for anyone:

https://www.amazon.com/Millionaire-N.../dp/1589795474
Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:56 PM   #104
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Make more than you need. Spend less than you make. Put aside some of what you make every paycheck and forget about it other than to rebalance that account based upon your target maturation date. From a personal standpoint, borrow money only for your house, and pay additional amounts towards principal every month. Borrowing money for business is something I have no experience with, so there may be times when it is appropriate and wise; I just don't know. Never carry a balance on a credit card, nor borrow money for things you want. If an emergency need arises that affect your health and safety or that of your family and you don't have enough money to get through a TRUE need, borrow if you must and don't lose sleep over it... just pay more than the minimum required and pay it off as fast as you can.

Do that for thirty years, and you'll be a millionaire. It is THAT simple.

On the other hand, being a millionaire really isn't that big a deal anymore. It's like having $100 when I was a kid... sigh...
BigHugeFatGuy (02-28-2019), Dadhawk (02-25-2019), Gunman (02-25-2019), maslin (02-26-2019), soundman98 (02-24-2019), why? (02-25-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 11:18 PM   #105
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
yep, my grandparents retired at 55 because they set out for that goal from the first day they got married in their 20's. they packed peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for any time they went somewhere for the day, rarely took their kids too many places because it cost too much, and never had the latest-greatest anything(they had dial-up until about 4 years ago, when the phone company forced them out of it)

the truth is, saving really isn't fun. my grandparents believed in scrimping and saving then so they could have fun later. because of that, my parents are/were more about having fun while all of us kids were young, knowing that they won't be as well off as my grandparents were later in life, but would have more memories.

there's never any specific right answer, only the solution we reach with our own demons.
Dadhawk (02-25-2019), Gunman (02-25-2019), MuseChaser (02-25-2019), Tcoat (02-25-2019), why? (02-25-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 07:42 AM   #106
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,936 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
On the other hand, being a millionaire really isn't that big a deal anymore. It's like having $100 when I was a kid... sigh...
Yep, in 2017 there were nearly 16,000,000 millionaires in the US, that is persons with a net worth over $1M. Over 6,000,000 of those fall into the $1M - $2M range.

If you own your own home, pay it off, and save for retirement it's a simple process to get that point over several decades.

What a lot of people forget is most millionaires don't make a million dollars a year, they own assets worth $1M they accumulated over a life time.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".

Last edited by Dadhawk; 02-26-2019 at 07:46 AM.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
MuseChaser (02-25-2019), soundman98 (02-25-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 10:10 AM   #107
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Yep, in 2017 there were nearly 16,000,000 millionaires in the US, that is persons with a net worth over $1M. Over $6,000,000 of those fall into the $1M - $2M range.

If you own your own home, pay it off, and save for retirement it's a simple process to get that point over several decades.

What a lot of people forget is most millionaires don't make a million dollars a year, they own assets worth $1M they accumulated over a life time.

It doesn't mean anything any more. The last twenty to thirty years has changed it so to actually need to make a million a year to have the same latitude as the millionaires of my teen years. Very depressing
Dadhawk (02-25-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 10:32 AM   #108
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
It doesn't mean anything any more. The last twenty to thirty years has changed it so to actually need to make a million a year to have the same latitude as the millionaires of my teen years. Very depressing
That applies to all incomes across the board not just the "millenaries". Have a pretty rough time making it on the minimum wage of 1989 at this point in time.
cjd (02-25-2019), Dadhawk (02-25-2019), Gunman (02-25-2019), MuseChaser (02-25-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 02:47 PM   #109
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
You are arguing that employees carry just as much risk as owners, which is absurd. Employees have almost no risk that they do not choose to bring on themselves by being morons and making horrific financial decisions.

Most business owners are nowhere near rich. Most businesses in the USA are small. About 89% of all business in the USA has less than 20 employees.

There are over 24 million businesses in the USA that are individually operated with no employees. So the business owner takes all the risk.
Everything here represents a misunderstanding of my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
There are only about 19,000 businesses that are actual big business. If you want to say those owners/ceo's have low to zero risk, I'm right there with you.
Everything here represents an understanding of my point.
Ultramaroon (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 05:04 PM   #110
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,240 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
47 more days until I bust outta this joint, see.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
bcj (02-26-2019), Dadhawk (02-26-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 02:15 PM   #111
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Dog View Post
Never Trusted them whirly birds. Beat themselves to death if they arent balanced and tuned properly.

my current job is 3-2-2-3 and 8 hour shifts, but its not set shifts and theres no pay for overtime.

are your hours set or are you recallable off shift?

My future career? I'm not too sure of the logistics - I'm trying to become a flight nurse. Requires 5 years of acute care experience I believe...

As an ED/ER nurse, I believe its 3 on, 4 off - 12 hours. Flight nurse, probably variable.
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote