follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-28-2012, 01:25 AM   #29
V1B

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Jason i sent u pm
V1B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:25 AM   #30
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@Nameless View Post
Damn it! You're RIGHT! Band pass would only selectively allow the target frequency and eliminate frequencies above and below, wouldn't it!

What has two thumbs and a stock stereo in every single one of his vehicles?

This guy.
*Who

When do you expect the header back to be available for sale?
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:41 AM   #31
FT-86GOD
Senior Rocket Bunny

Drives: 1982 XX KE70
Quote:
Nope won't work on RHD cars, but never fear, we do have the factory fit design available for our brothers down under. Just had the general manager from Pedders Suspension here for half the day, we can't wait to make a trip to Melbourne. Thinking about making a trip down around Christmas this year or next (Summernats has been a goal of ours for tens of years) and making some more connections for distributors in Australia. Not sure if you followed our work in the last few months but we have been doing fabrication and service support for the Summit Rally Team (also from Melbourne) in the Rally America series. Looking forward to a lot of collaboration and development with them in the future as well. The connections we have made through Will, Ross and the rest of the team have been amazing. Never would have guessed we would have spent half the day with an Australian suspension manufacturer even after doing the rally car work. Word travels fast!

Curious what your thoughts are. Think we should just make it one part on the RHD cars as well? I certainly think so. Seems to be silly to put a flange in there for no reason. Can you email me? I'd love to get some details on the stuff down in that area of the engine compartment on the RHD cars. jason.g@namelessperformance.com

Jason
Yes please make a RHD option for this. There will certainly be interest in a group buy from the AUS/NZ section of this forum...
FT-86GOD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FT-86GOD For This Useful Post:
DriftEightSix (04-26-2013)
Old 06-28-2012, 07:47 AM   #32
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT-86GOD View Post
Yes please make a RHD option for this. There will certainly be interest in a group buy from the AUS/NZ section of this forum...
True story
Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #33
slow_frs

Drives: turbo scion tc
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT-86GOD View Post

the rhd option is having an overpipe and downpipe seperately, the over pipe is there because its the only way to clear the rhd steering colum, if you wanted a one pipe you would need a different header facing the other way aswell as a different downpipe facing the other way, and that might not even work, theres no flaw in the aftermarket overpipes just namless wants to make it easier and cheaper for customer so they have made a one piece, sorry rhdrivers
slow_frs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:44 AM   #34
Nardi330

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
actually one piece or not i'm not that concern. 2 piece is probably easier to package for shipping.
Nardi330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #35
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Helmholtz is dialed in. Just right. Still has a great exhaust tone and sports car sound, but dead silent at cruise and running around town. In cabin and out of car GoPro vids to follow.

GoPro died when we went to do the out of car, got it plugged in and copying the in cabin onto the computer right now.

Really happy with the way this turned out. Will contact all people who have downpipes on order to discuss.

Jason
Awesome!!
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #36
FT-86GOD
Senior Rocket Bunny

Drives: 1982 XX KE70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nardi330 View Post
actually one piece or not i'm not that concern. 2 piece is probably easier to package for shipping.
2 piece = more flange = more weight = sad god... LOL... One piece please, ill pay the difference :happy0180:
FT-86GOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #37
Jason@Nameless

Drives: '88 BMW 535is Turbo
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
*Who

When do you expect the header back to be available for sale?
Within a week. We will be looking at other header designs, but we're pretty confident that they will be wild and more expensive - like long tube over the axle designs that nix both cats or less streetable designs that are biased toward big cams and high range power.

And using 'who' in that situation throws off the whole play on words. :-D

Jason
Jason@Nameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #38
Calum
That Guy

Damn it, well I'll keep waiting. I'd like to keep this car streetable, but I would have no problem with a loopy idle from big cams. It won't see winter use so I'm not worried about that. Seems like your system will give the kind of power increase I want and still keep the noise levels down.

I guess I missed the play on words. not that it matters I was just trolling.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:33 PM   #39
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
I'd like to keep this car streetable, but I would have no problem with a loopy idle from big cams. It won't see winter use so I'm not worried about that.
Hmm off topic but you know, I bet if exhaust duration is kept down but intake duration is increased, the idle is probably just fine. The engine should be smooth as normal (I think), just a little down on low end torque. If one insists on changing the exhaust cams to big duration then low rpm will suck. I have no idea how much scavenging does though.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #40
Jason@Nameless

Drives: '88 BMW 535is Turbo
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow_frs View Post
the rhd option is having an overpipe and downpipe seperately, the over pipe is there because its the only way to clear the rhd steering colum, if you wanted a one pipe you would need a different header facing the other way aswell as a different downpipe facing the other way, and that might not even work, theres no flaw in the aftermarket overpipes just namless wants to make it easier and cheaper for customer so they have made a one piece, sorry rhdrivers
We can still eliminate the flange between the RHD overpipe and downpipe, the shape of the pipe is just different. Downpipe and header the other direction is a no-go, if you've taken a close look at a Suby flat 4, one of the heads (LH) sits back on the block and the other head (RH) sits forward. So the clearance from the head to the subframe precludes routing over there. There is also a coolant line in the way.

Our reason for straightening the overpipe was mainly manufacturability and making the design a straight shot rather than a convoluted compound bend section.

Jason
Jason@Nameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #41
Calum
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Hmm off topic but you know, I bet if exhaust duration is kept down but intake duration is increased, the idle is probably just fine. The engine should be smooth as normal (I think), just a little down on low end torque. If one insists on changing the exhaust cams to big duration then low rpm will suck. I have no idea how much scavenging does though.
I also wouldn't be adversed to using quick pump down lifters either. As long as it doesn't screw up the cam phasing. Wait and see is all we can do.

Disclaimer: I no zilch about the fa20 valve train but I'm assuming hydraulic lifters are used.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:15 AM   #42
LSV8

Drives: Very fast
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
what mufflers are you using..?
LSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote