follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 11-06-2019, 08:04 PM   #141
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Yeah, it really makes a night and day difference, doesn't it? The subframe bushing inserts and steering rack bushings were huge. I'd definitely recommend you look into either doing whiteline bushings in the rest (if you don't need adjustment) or getting SPL arms for the rest (if you do need adjustment). For instance, you need FLCAs to adjust Caster, and you need trailing arms and tie rod ends or ball joints for adjusting bump steer. Adjustable endlinks help prevent sway bar binding when corner weighting the car before aligning. Rear toe arm is fine factory, but by replacing it you can cut some weight and get an eccentric lockout which reduces the likelihood of toe changes under dynamic loading.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:01 PM   #142
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristor View Post
Yeah, it really makes a night and day difference, doesn't it? The subframe bushing inserts and steering rack bushings were huge. I'd definitely recommend you look into either doing whiteline bushings in the rest (if you don't need adjustment) or getting SPL arms for the rest (if you do need adjustment). For instance, you need FLCAs to adjust Caster, and you need trailing arms and tie rod ends or ball joints for adjusting bump steer. Adjustable endlinks help prevent sway bar binding when corner weighting the car before aligning. Rear toe arm is fine factory, but by replacing it you can cut some weight and get an eccentric lockout which reduces the likelihood of toe changes under dynamic loading.
It does make a huge difference. The subframe bushing were the most dramatic IIRC. I may go solid bushings this winter. I also did the Diff bushings and a carbon shaft. Another huge difference.

I like the idea of the Heim bearings so plan on using SPL rather than poly bushings throughout. More of a direct feeling I would imagine.

Did you happen to weigh the stock parts vs SPL?
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 04:18 PM   #143
Tristor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
It does make a huge difference. The subframe bushing were the most dramatic IIRC. I may go solid bushings this winter. I also did the Diff bushings and a carbon shaft. Another huge difference.

I like the idea of the Heim bearings so plan on using SPL rather than poly bushings throughout. More of a direct feeling I would imagine.

Did you happen to weigh the stock parts vs SPL?
Sorry, I didn't weigh them to see the difference. I will say that in most cases the SPL arms seemed to be same or maybe slightly lighter weight compared to the stock arms. Certainly not much difference in weight, of course it's hard to tell with such light parts to start with.

I'll be doing a CF driveshaft, an oil pickup, and an oil pan baffle when I do my headers, FF, and tune next year. I'm looking forward to it. Just finished another oil change today and I've got a track box and switches to go in at some point in January. Been busy over the holidays, going to try to get a bunch of stuff prepped in January before I travel again in February so I can be back on track in March. I need new tires too and AD08Rs are discontinued :/
The Following User Says Thank You to Tristor For This Useful Post:
new2subaru (02-20-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 12:07 AM   #144
Tristor

Garage
I'm way behind on many things, but I wanted to share an update. I've scheduled my first track day of 2020. I'll be joining Driver's Edge for a two-day HPDE at the newly reopened Eagles Canyon Raceway in Decatur, TX (up by DFW) at the end of February. I already booked it and my hotel and a new set of tires arrived today from Tire Rack. I'll be running one set of wheels with Hankook RS4s and the other set with Dunlop Z3s.

Additionally before I go, I'll have wired in my Chillout Systems driver cooling unit, my track box and switch plate, and have received my new fully custom titanium nomex racing suit from Simpson, as well as the Hybrid S and gloves, etc I ordered. I should be fully kitted to have a good safe time. I requested Joe, who is actually a forum member here, as my instructor as I know he instructs for Driver's Edge and has a similar suspension setup on his car to what I have on mine.

I'm looking forward to getting back on track. A little birdie also told me that Harris Hill is going to resurface the whole track later this year. So maybe it won't be a bump-fest.

After I get a few more things done I'll update with some better pictures again.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tristor For This Useful Post:
Code Monkey (01-17-2020), new2subaru (02-20-2020), Racecomp Engineering (01-23-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 11:41 PM   #145
Tristor

Garage
Just a quick update. I have a bunch of pictures to share but no time to do so currently.

* All my PPE is in and picked up, after getting my custom titanium nomex racing suit from Simpson today. It fits me perfectly, I'm happy to say.

* I decided to go ahead and extend my stay in Decatur so I will now be coming in on Friday night, hopefully early enough to register at the track then. This way I'll be fresh in the morning on Saturday.

* My Chillout Systems driver cooling unit is wired in and is basically hidden in the cabin. I'm really happy with how it turned out. I wired the remote control into the center console. I didn't end up making a fully removable mounting solution for the trunk area because my prior idea wasn't sturdy enough, instead I ended up mounting it semi-permanently in the spare tire well but well isolated with rubber isolators. I've stripped my trunk area and left it stripped, but I guess my trunk isn't usable anymore really for groceries.

* Due to the space constraints I'm not taking a second set of wheels/tires. I'm going to run this weekend on my ZE40s w/ the 225/40R18 Dunlop Z3s. I'm hoping they work for me well and I can get back home Sunday night without a problem from Dallas metro area.

* I had some underbody damage on my car from an unknown source, but suffice to say it was significant. It's all been repaired, but it wasn't cheap to do. Really took a bite out of this years budget.

* I'm still working on wiring in the switches and track box. I thought I had it all good, but it turns out after testing that the switches don't function... so I messed something up. Round two of fucking with electronics will commence tomorrow after work. Did I tell anyone how much I hate car electronics? Well I do.

* On my way to Belgium for work a couple of weeks ago, I had a long layover in Atlanta and stopped by to see Kevin Ket and crew at Atlanta Speed Company which was really cool. I love what those guys have been doing there, and I'm really happy to see how successful they've become. I'm hoping I can find a project that I can work with them on.

I think that's pretty much everything. Now is just the mad rush to finalize all my last minute items and then get tech inspected before I start my drive on Friday. If you're on the forums and going to be there, make sure to give me a shout.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:53 PM   #146
Tristor

Garage
Update to my update, all the wiring is golden. Everything works. I had to rush order new rotors and pads for the rear and went ahead and got rotors for the front while I'm at it. I'm kind of curious why the rear wore so quickly, so I'm going to investigate that. Found it while doing my tech inspection today.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:50 AM   #147
Code Monkey

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristor View Post
I'm kind of curious why the rear wore so quickly...
Traction control? I on on my 4th, I think, set of fronts, and still on the first set of rears, but I am always in pedal dance mode on the track.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Code Monkey For This Useful Post:
Pat (02-19-2020), Tristor (02-19-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 11:25 PM   #148
Tristor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post
Traction control? I on on my 4th, I think, set of fronts, and still on the first set of rears, but I am always in pedal dance mode on the track.
That’s probably a major factor. I now have the trac box wired up so I can easily enable pedal dance mode. Previously I was just using a long press on the track mode button.

Brakes are all finished up now though and I’m ready for this weekend for the most part. Going to do all the small stuff tomorrow
Code Monkey (02-20-2020)
Old 02-22-2020, 09:37 PM   #149
Tristor

Garage
I’m at the track. My best time today was a dismal 2:46.802. I’m in the newbie run group, but I’m pretty sure I’m the fastest driver in the group at this point. I’m having a lot of fun, but haven’t really got a clean lap in with no traffic yet. I’m hoping passing is better enforced tomorrow.

They haven’t posted pictures from today online yet, so in the interim here’s me holding the giant Flemish rabbit thing that’s the track pet that hangs out in the clubhouse:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tristor For This Useful Post:
Code Monkey (02-23-2020), new2subaru (02-23-2020)
Old 02-24-2020, 07:46 PM   #150
Tristor

Garage
Track Report: Eagles Canyon Raceway HPDE with The Driver's Edge February 22-23, 2020

*poke* @Joesurf79

I promise I'll finally post some more pictures (they just went up on the website). I ordered the Event CD which takes a few days to arrive, but I also bought a few individual pictures from the event photographer to share for this post. Before that though, I want to do a quick write-up on the event.

This event was my first time at Eagles Canyon Raceway since it was re-opened with the new configuration and fresh pavement late last year. It was also my first time in a formal large-group HPDE environment, as I had previously gone to either a race school or taken private instruction solo on track. It was also my first event with The Driver's Edge organization. Overall, I would rate myself as being a beginner but with enough experience on track that I can get around safely without issues, but that I definitely need instruction to find the fastest way around.

As I was new to this organization and this track I was put into the green group, which had primarily folks who had never been on track before in it. I will say it was new and really exciting for me to see people improve so rapidly. There were several cars that were better in every aspect than my BRZ that I was chasing down regularly in the first couple of sessions that I had to give the point-by to by the time we finished Day 1. I unfortunately only got to drive one session on Day 2, so didn't get to have much other experience with the group but that session was in the wet and it was clear that everyone had improved significantly, including myself. In general, I was really happy with The Driver's Edge and how they structured the event.

My only real criticism is that unlike other run groups, the green group was always either in class or on grid/on track. That sounds like a fair idea, but in my case I wanted at least some buffer time to use the restroom, change into my race suit (before first session each day), do any necessary once-over on my car before/after each session, and to sit and talk with my instructor to get direct feedback after sessions specific to my own individual driving.

On Day 2 I missed all but 4 laps of the first session (dry) because I had to use the restroom and change into my suit and our class session was a full hour after the driver's meeting and then immediately to the grid. I skipped out on the 2nd session as it was my group's first time out on the wet and I had ended up going out on street (35psi) pressures for those 4 laps in my first session and wanted time to fully cool the car and get my tire pressures sorted, as well as to talk with my instructor instead of going to class. That conversation with my instructor proved to be extremely extremely valuable and really set me up for a very good last session on Day 2 in the wet.

In general I found the quality of instruction I received from The Driver's Edge to be fantastic. I really liked my instructor Rick and he appreciated my focus and my no-nonsense attitude as well. I think we were matched up very well, although I was a bit sad I didn't get Joe since we've been PMing back and forth on the forums and he instructs there. He ended up going with another white BRZ in my group, and I got to make some new friends with other FT86 drivers there (howdy Zain and Alex).

By the end of Day 1 my best time was a 2:46 mostly thanks to traffic on track. Day 2 because of the rain everyone (including me) was more cautious as we built confidence in the wet, and I managed to get numerous consecutive point-bys giving me a free track ahead for most of my last session. I ended Day 2 with a best time of 2:44 which was a wet lap (although dry on the line), mostly thanks to being much smoother with my inputs allowing me to finally nail the 3 corners that had double apexes which otherwise had plagued me all weekend. One of which is incredibly important to setting up your exit onto the back straight and represented an 11mph difference into the braking zone based on my carry speed when I got it right vs when I got it wrong. Another was the corner entering the front straight which clearly made it absolutely critical.

I have a ton of room for improvement, I'm easily 10 seconds off pace from faster Blues (next run group up), and I'm looking forward to continuing to learn and improve. I'm hoping to join the NASA HPDE at ECR in April and go through DE 1 with NASA.

Now to the pictures. As I mentioned many folks in my run group had never been on a race track ever before. That said, they brought some pretty seriously nice cars with them. Despite it being obviously due to differences in experience/skill in early sessions, it was a bit gratifying/fun to chase down and get a point-by from way way way faster cars. One person in particular who was setting ahead-of-pace times early along with me was a guy in a Porsche GT4 ClubSport, which is a factory race car... Of course in his early sessions the car was doing most of the work, by the end of Day 1 I was giving him point-bys. Still, it made some fun pictures chasing him down in corners:

The other thing I found really gratifying was chasing down the muscle cars who couldn't corner as well as I could. There were several in our run group... but damn were they fast on the straights.

Camaro SS right before he gave me the point

Corner after a short straight where I got the point from this Mustang

Here's just some rollers of me on track from the weekend. I didn't get any shots of me in the wet since there weren't any photos taken in our very last session (or they haven't been uploaded yet). I have video on my dash cam from Day 1, but something happened it acted like the memory card was needing formatted so didn't record anything Day 2. I'm hoping I can recover the video from Day 1 and build some of it out in RaceRender with my AIM data later on, but I haven't gotten time to do that yet.

Good job to everyone in my run group for how much they improved over the weekend, and thanks to all the other FT86 owners I met at the track who helped me feel at home in such a large event.

Last edited by Tristor; 02-25-2020 at 10:38 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tristor For This Useful Post:
Code Monkey (02-24-2020), Iceman (03-12-2020), NoHaveMSG (01-04-2023)
Old 02-25-2020, 02:23 AM   #151
WC-BRZ

Drives: Black BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Don't know if a review for RCE T2 is in this thread somewhere, but just wanted to get your thoughts on it.

How have you found it to be so far? My main concern would be how the car behaves over uneven surfaces - both smaller bumps (like track kerbing) and larger undulations in the road. Do you find that the chassis becomes unsettled or are you able to power through these spots with relative ease?

Also, how have you found the brembo GT kit after switching from the AP Sprint?

Great thread and thanks for all the updates
WC-BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:09 AM   #152
Code Monkey

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
The Drivers Edge always has a super packed schedule and they really care about the education part of hpde. You will not find any other group that provides as much in-car instruction at different levels of run groups. It is sometimes annoying, but you will appreciate it later on, and you can always mix in running with other hpde providers for more solo time. For a more relaxed weekend, I recommend Chin Track Days, and they will pair you with Joe if you request it.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:34 AM   #153
Tristor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WC-BRZ View Post
Don't know if a review for RCE T2 is in this thread somewhere, but just wanted to get your thoughts on it.

How have you found it to be so far? My main concern would be how the car behaves over uneven surfaces - both smaller bumps (like track kerbing) and larger undulations in the road. Do you find that the chassis becomes unsettled or are you able to power through these spots with relative ease?

It's somewhat difficult for me to isolate which behavior is exclusively because of the dampers and which is because of the suspension geometry I've chosen. But I will say I've had a LOT of experience driving this hard over uneven surface thanks to the bumpiness of H2R, which is my "home track".

Generally speaking, I'm pretty happy with how bumps are handled. What I find is that in a straight line over bumps, there is a sensation of lift which occurs although my tires maintain contact with the surface, and this can cause some reduction in my driver confidence, but that the car maintains its path and doesn't unsettle. To me, it feels like it's going to shift left or right, but in fact it settles back after the bump and I maintain my trajectory. As I got used to this my confidence increased and I just full send it now without worries.

In corners, going over bumps is usually fine if it's inside of the corner as I have fully compressed to the inside and it will help push me to the outside without unsettling. I think in straights this car suffers from a lack of aero which would help reduce lift on bumps. I also have the ability to adjust bumpsteer now, but haven't got the equipment to do it yet, so I will eventually get around to that and see how it differs. On bumps to the outside of the corner you may have to counter-steer some to correct as it can unsettle the car a bit, but it's not a lot. Again, I'm not sure how much this is my dampers vs how much this is my chosen suspension geometry.

I haven't got to experience anything crazy like Penskes, but I have driven some other 86s on other less halo suspension options and I think the RCE T2s are really good in comparison to other options in the market. In addition to that, Andrew and Miles were really helpful all the way through my journey of learning about suspension and alignment for this platform and being available to consult on adjustments. The support I've gotten from them has been essential to my success so far, and I think having that type of support is more important than many other more objective technical factors.

I'm very happy with them and I have no intention of changing dampers at this point, however I will likely send them back to be resprung and revalved/rebuilt after I get aero and switch to primarily running slicks. There are some other options in the market that may be better at that point, but until I see a good reason to change things I'm going to stick with my T2s.

Quote:

Also, how have you found the brembo GT kit after switching from the AP Sprint?

Great thread and thanks for all the updates

I really like the CSG Spec Brembo GTs. They're significantly quieter than my AP Racing Sprint BBK was, for one thing, but also I've started to gain more confidence to brake later into corners compared to before. I'm nearly certain my AP Sprint BBK would have let me do it as well, but something about the pedal modulation helps me get the confidence to brake later with the new kit. I will say, my pedal feels like it has more range of motion, is a little softer, with the Brembos. At first I wasn't a fan of this, but over time I've come to appreciate it as it has made pedal modulation easier and allows me to trailbrake easier and more effectively.

Also the running parts cost for the Brembos is WAY WAY lower due to common rotor size. New rotor rings for my AP Racing Sprint BBK were ~$250 each, new complete blank rotors for my Brembos are $130 each. Additionally due to having more thermal mass I feel like the rotors and pads both wear less quickly.

I've got significant seat time with these parts, but I am still a novice driver, so take that into consideration. A better driver may be able to give you better comparisons.
WC-BRZ (02-25-2020)
Old 02-25-2020, 10:43 AM   #154
Tristor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post
The Drivers Edge always has a super packed schedule and they really care about the education part of hpde. You will not find any other group that provides as much in-car instruction at different levels of run groups. It is sometimes annoying, but you will appreciate it later on, and you can always mix in running with other hpde providers for more solo time. For a more relaxed weekend, I recommend Chin Track Days, and they will pair you with Joe if you request it.

I really liked having an instructor in the car with me every time I went out. It's one thing I really appreciated with The Driver's Edge, and I confirmed I can do the same in the blue group so I am okay with being moved up. It's one concern I had with some other orgs is that if I get placed above beginner you only get part time instruction. I may check out Chin as I heard good things from several attendees there as well, however it looks like TDE mostly goes to the tracks I want to be on in Texas anyway (MSR Cresson, MSR Houstin, and ECR). I don't want to go on COTA due to their exorbitant fees if anything happens.

I don't think I'll be able to do Cresson 3.1 next month, at this point, but I'm going to try to do NASA at ECR in April and then see if I can do ECR again with TDE in May. That'd be three HPDEs on the same track (and ECR is butter baby bottom smooth right now!!! ), and in between I can go to H2R to keep myself in the right frame of mind. This year could really be a huge jump in my driver skill if my work schedule doesn't ruin my plans.

If you happen to be planning to go to any events @Code Monkey, will you ping me on the forums and I'd love to meet up and hang out while there.
Code Monkey (02-25-2020)