follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-01-2014, 08:25 PM   #1
Casper223

Drives: 2015 UltraMarine, MT, Borla Exhaust
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Borla Touring Dual Exhaust + Borla Headers

Hey Everyone, I'm new here, and didn't want to HiJack anyone's thread... I've purchased the 2015 FR S, Manual Tranny, and got with it the Borla Touring Dual Exhaust, which have a nice sound to them, and a Gentle Rumble. In talking to one of the salesman, He mentioned the Borla Headers would give it a real nice Boxer Rumble. This is a modification i'm interested in, However, I'm a bit concerned about voiding my 6 year warranty. I'm suspecting the 02 sensors may be a problem along with catalytic converters.

Has anyone else made this Modification? are there any sound clips of the Borla Headers + Borla Touring Dual Exhaust combo? Are there any other concerns I need to be aware of in making this modification?

Thanks In advance for your feedback, advice, Ideas or any input. I really enjoy the site.
Casper223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:04 PM   #2
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper223 View Post
Hey Everyone, I'm new here, and didn't want to HiJack anyone's thread... I've purchased the 2015 FR S, Manual Tranny, and got with it the Borla Touring Dual Exhaust, which have a nice sound to them, and a Gentle Rumble. In talking to one of the salesman, He mentioned the Borla Headers would give it a real nice Boxer Rumble. This is a modification i'm interested in, However, I'm a bit concerned about voiding my 6 year warranty. I'm suspecting the 02 sensors may be a problem along with catalytic converters.

Has anyone else made this Modification? are there any sound clips of the Borla Headers + Borla Touring Dual Exhaust combo? Are there any other concerns I need to be aware of in making this modification?

Thanks In advance for your feedback, advice, Ideas or any input. I really enjoy the site.
If your goal is the boxer rumble then you need an unequal length (UEL) header, opposed to an equal length (EL). The stock header is unequal in length but not enough 'unequalness' to give you rumbles. If you add the UEL header you will notice them much better in your system.

Plenty have modified their exhaust system with many combos of parts, including a ton of people having the Borla UEL header. The only 'headache' with a catless header is the check engine light due to your ECU thinking your primary cat is not working. To get rid of the light you can get a tune or use a spacer\defouler of some sort. I'm currently dealing with this myself and the o2 spacer has not worked. I might have my secondary o2 sensor placed after the secondary cat, which some have had success with. I may end up getting a tune which will not only fix the CEL, but get you more horsepower out of the header. You can buy an OpenFlash Tablet for around $500 which will allow you to self tune\flash your ECU. As for the exhaust itself, no concerns except change in sound tone\level.

For my setup I was going for a notch over stock loudness with boxer rumble which is exactly what I got.

My setup in this clip is Tsudo UEL header and Top Speed Pro 1 axleback.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Z/TsudoUEL.mp3

And here's my setup with just the axleback, prior to adding the UEL header.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...tockHeader.mp3

Last edited by B-R-Z; 09-01-2014 at 09:21 PM.
B-R-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:57 PM   #3
Casper223

Drives: 2015 UltraMarine, MT, Borla Exhaust
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
B-R-Z, thank you very much for the sound clips, "Noticeable" and "Impressive" ... Guessing what I need to do next then, is fine someone in my area who can flash tune it, Keep it within warranty, but be able to tune the exhaust, and eliminate the code, if that becomes an issue, in which I thought it might be. I did read the article by @ptuning, and his newly released header, and thought I had it made with his set up, and plus gain some horsepower, But i'm afraid I'll lose the rumble, and then on top of that have a very undesirable loud ride. Thinking theres a trade off no matter which way you go... But I love the boxer rumble, The Borla Touring package sounds good, I'm just going for perfection.
Casper223 is offline   Reply With Quote