follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 08-11-2015, 11:41 PM   #43
Hyper4mance2k
Shadetree Project Ratchet

Drives: series.Blue
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWilky View Post
Instead of blue painters tap, you could have used plastic dip and then easier to peel off.
Plastidip is way harder to remove than blue tape, but thanks for the tip.
I just made it to Phoenix. The car runs good & true at 54 MPH, but if I'm going 60 & get passed by a tractor trailer she shimmies all over. I averaged 31.9 MPG today.
I also lost the trailer tails exactly 124 miles into the trip. I was averaging 34 MPG with them on. Oh well...
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkQn9u9GUjc"]First stop - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by Hyper4mance2k; 08-19-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Hyper4mance2k is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hyper4mance2k For This Useful Post:
BWilky (08-12-2015), HotLeopardMama (08-12-2015)
Old 08-12-2015, 09:28 PM   #44
Hyper4mance2k

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXBP6fld030"]LA2DC - Phoenix - YouTube[/ame]

45 miles to Albuquerque.

Last edited by Hyper4mance2k; 08-19-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:20 AM   #45
BWilky

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper4mance2k View Post
45 miles to Albuquerque.
As Bugs Bunny would say "I should have taken that left at Albuquerque"

BWilky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BWilky For This Useful Post:
Hyper4mance2k (04-12-2021)
Old 08-14-2015, 09:32 AM   #46
Hyper4mance2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWilky View Post
As Bugs Bunny would say "I should have taken that left at Albuquerque"
Please tell me you watched my new video! LOL
Don't mind the minute of silence... traffic happened.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PncMY1doJ7g"]Oklahoma City - YouTube[/ame]
BWilky (08-14-2015)
Old 08-14-2015, 01:06 PM   #47
ashtray
As Seen On The Internet

Drives: 2003 WRX, 2013 BRZ, 442
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Sounds like you were getting lots of Taylor Swift, I mean trailer sway.

Yeah - the way you extended the back of the trailer cargo area but left the axle placement alone had me concerned. 5lbs of tongue weight?! Surprised you didn't lose the trailer completely! You gotta think about the physics of wind resistance. Stick your hand out the window and feel that force. Now realize that force is hitting the front face of your trailer - but not evenly. Just mostly the top - which would want to pivot the trailer to lean back - thus reducing your tongue weight at speed. Your 5lbs of tongue weight was likely going negative at speeds above 50mph.

Glad you got that resolved!!

As you see, its stressful enough driving cross country - even without the worry of the trailer. I'd just have sent the trailer through U-Ship and then had a fun drive without as much worry (and likely at MUCH higher speeds! hahaha).

Sounds like you got the aero figured out too.

Check your trailer hubs and tightness of wheel lugs - last thing you want is to lose a wheel at 70mph. You mentioned the trailer had a design speed of 55 or so? (I gotta look back and re-read.). So even though you got it stable at higher speeds doesn't mean you're not adding higher stresses on parts not designed to go 70. I know you feel like a road hazzard going so much slower than traffic - especially with big rigs flying past you - but you'll be more of a road hazzard if you lose a wheel/axle.

Good luck - and thanks for the updates!
ashtray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ashtray For This Useful Post:
Hyper4mance2k (08-19-2015)
Old 08-19-2015, 09:57 AM   #48
Hyper4mance2k

Well I made it to DC. At some point after leaving OKC my SD card corrupted. I lost a few videos, and it wouldn't upload anything shot after that.
I stayed in Edgar Evins State park on Friday & Saturday. Then I got sick of driving, so I decided 86Expo wasn't quite worth the extra stress, so Sunday morning I fished, packed and scooted down the road to one last park in NE Tennessee. Then, on Monday I finished up the last 5 hours and drove into DC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtray View Post
Sounds like you were getting lots of Taylor Swift, I mean trailer sway.

Yeah - the way you extended the back of the trailer cargo area but left the axle placement alone had me concerned. 5lbs of tongue weight?! Surprised you didn't lose the trailer completely! You gotta think about the physics of wind resistance. Stick your hand out the window and feel that force. Now realize that force is hitting the front face of your trailer - but not evenly. Just mostly the top - which would want to pivot the trailer to lean back - thus reducing your tongue weight at speed. Your 5lbs of tongue weight was likely going negative at speeds above 50mph.

Glad you got that resolved!!

As you see, its stressful enough driving cross country - even without the worry of the trailer. I'd just have sent the trailer through U-Ship and then had a fun drive without as much worry (and likely at MUCH higher speeds! hahaha).

Sounds like you got the aero figured out too.

Check your trailer hubs and tightness of wheel lugs - last thing you want is to lose a wheel at 70mph. You mentioned the trailer had a design speed of 55 or so? (I gotta look back and re-read.). So even though you got it stable at higher speeds doesn't mean you're not adding higher stresses on parts not designed to go 70. I know you feel like a road hazzard going so much slower than traffic - especially with big rigs flying past you - but you'll be more of a road hazzard if you lose a wheel/axle.

Good luck - and thanks for the updates!
Wheels were doing well. I was checking tires and bearings at every gas stop. I stopped every 200 miles or so, just in case. I never even let the car get down to a 1/4 tank.

I ended up seeing some side wall crack in one of the tires when I was in TN on Friday, so I trashed it and threw on a spare. (Glad I brought 2 spares with me) I did end up having a failing axle grease seal on one side, but I had copious amounts of extra bearing greats, and bearing helpers, so it stayed nice and packed the whole way. I maybe lost a teaspoon on axle grease.
I was going 55MPH because of the tire rating, but I replaced them with newer tires, so I was much more confident.

Anyway all in all a very successful trip. hHings I learned: spare tires are essential, do not drive on the 4.8x4 8" tires -upgrade to a more modern 12" wheel, but if that isn't an option they make 165/65 tires on 8" wheels that are much more stable at speed. Always be prepared fro roadside adjustments. I changed the aero twice(Once not by choice) And it made the world of difference. With my trailer flaps I was averaging 34 MPG on day 1, but that was mostly down hill. After I left Phoenix I was averaging 25-26 MPG failing all that elevation through AZ and into New Mexico. Thanks to @NotEric6 & @eric6 for the assistance and making an easily adjustable diffuser. After I was fully loaded and changed the loading of the car & trailer a few times, I noticed the @FT-86 SpeedFactory diffuser was no longer level, so I made a quick roadside adjustment and I saw my mileage go up. Over all I averaged 28.6 MPG which is a huge accomplishment considering the trailer weight, my loaded car, and the terrible trailer aero. I believe things would have been much worse without the diffuser.

Anyway I hope you enjoyed the show. Feel free to asks any questions.

P.s. New Mexico is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen.

Last edited by Hyper4mance2k; 08-19-2015 at 08:55 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hyper4mance2k For This Useful Post:
ashtray (08-19-2015), BWilky (08-20-2015), FT-86 SpeedFactory (08-22-2015), kanundrum (08-19-2015), VerusEric (08-19-2015)
Old 08-19-2015, 12:33 PM   #49
kanundrum

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 3,016 Times in 1,711 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Welcome to our area!
Hyper4mance2k (08-19-2015)
Old 08-19-2015, 10:16 PM   #50
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Welcome to the east coast! Glad you made it in one piece! (p.s.... we have ~ 2.5 months of good weather here until the dark days set in. Hope you can get out and enjoy them)
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRZnut For This Useful Post:
Hyper4mance2k (08-20-2015), kanundrum (08-19-2015)