follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #57
Agnostik

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
I just don't like that 2012 buyers can't get the latest ecu calib that supposedly fixes the di seal issue, we got left out in the cold.
What? clarify this please? Why do 2012 buyers not get latest ecu calibration?
Agnostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #58
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostik View Post
What? clarify this please? Why do 2012 buyers not get latest ecu calibration?
Because there is no technical service bulletin (TSB) that service techs can reference to get the latest calibration file. In order for them to install it, they need a TSB to reference. Stupid, but it is what it is. Hopefully Toyota/Subaru will create a TSB and folks that have a build date prior to Jan 2013 can get the latest ECU file. Otherwise you would have to pay for it yourself via a tune.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #59
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
I love the D4S sucks comment especially since Subaru made a DI engine before and it sucked balls so they scrapped it. Part of the deal with the twins was that they could learn how Toyota does DI and improve their own system.
strat61caster (12-07-2013)
Old 12-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #60
s0sl0w
Proud of Boxer

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chulooz View Post
Paying for re-engineering is still much cheaper than full on engineering; thats one reason why it could be offered ~$25k. Im sure all the competition is going to be frankenstien'd too so they can keep competitive pricing available.
Yerp
s0sl0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:26 PM   #61

Drives: UM86 - 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I want the engine in the 2002 chevy tahoe to fit in the FRS..... WHAT A DREAM
1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1086 For This Useful Post:
Ashybone (12-09-2013)
Old 12-06-2013, 08:36 PM   #62
denkigrve
Random Internet dad

Drives: 2013 FRS and 2010 Mini Cooper
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
Because there is no technical service bulletin (TSB) that service techs can reference to get the latest calibration file. In order for them to install it, they need a TSB to reference. Stupid, but it is what it is. Hopefully Toyota/Subaru will create a TSB and folks that have a build date prior to Jan 2013 can get the latest ECU file. Otherwise you would have to pay for it yourself via a tune.
I don't think this is really as big of an issue as the forums would have you think it is. I got mine in June 2012 and have done plenty of aggressive driving with 0 issues. I think some people have just gotten off units. My guess is potential issues with certain motors on the line? A bad order of parts for the seals with quality issues? Who knows, but if it was really all cars there would be a LOT more people complaining about this. Especially those like my buddy that hammers on his constantly and is closing in on 50k miles.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #63
denkigrve
Random Internet dad

Drives: 2013 FRS and 2010 Mini Cooper
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonicname returns View Post
That would totally fix the frs!
Does it really need fixing? Maybe the issue is the driver and not the car? I've driven plenty of track time in my own car to know that I love it, and find that it's a great vehicle to use to help the driver get better instead of relying on gobs of power to overcome the drivers poor habits.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #64
FirestormFRS

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonicname returns View Post
No matter how good an engine is im sure there is still a 5% failure rate.
I had an 06 wrx stage 2 that i drove like i stole for 6 years and it was flawless, never had a single issue.

5% failure rate would be way outside what is acceptable. Try .5% for any mainstream Japanese manufacturers. The reason the cars they make are so bland is they make stuff right and are very slow to change.
FirestormFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:11 PM   #65
Canehda
poverty cause racecar

Drives: Subaru BRZ JRSC'd
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I know this is totally off topic but I think we all agree this thread has been jacked anyway. Subaru and Toyota know that most of the potential buyers of this car have done so already, so they have no economic reason to release a better performing car within the next ~3 years… They know that most of us can't just sell the car and upgrade to the faster version every time, so they purposely wait a couple years (product cycles). Its very rare that major performance upgrades are added to a car while its still in cycle because then it just decreases the marketability of the next generation… IMHO don't expect anything FI for this model until the next generation comes out, the best we'll see from this generation is minor cosmetic upgrades… just put yourselves in the accountants shoes and then answer your questions…

In regards to the WRX engine swap or part transfer, pick two;
Low Cost
Performance
Durability

And if you pay someone enough, they will build you a bugatti, its how cars works :P
Canehda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canehda For This Useful Post:
Ashybone (12-09-2013)
Old 12-06-2013, 11:55 PM   #66
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chulooz View Post
Paying for re-engineering is still much cheaper than full on engineering; thats one reason why it could be offered ~$25k. Im sure all the competition is going to be frankenstien'd too so they can keep competitive pricing available.

I don't consider the FRZ re-engineered. The Chassis is ground floor from scratch for all but a few small things (which here will always be). Paying for that capital and R&D is why you get much less "car" for the same money as the WRX. Its why the FRZ is so expensive for is #'s. Many of us bought the FRZ for the ground up sports oriented chassis.

As been said many times in a decade there will be several options for more power (including a FA20DIT variant)but you can never upgrade the chassis. Especially with this thing selling over 40k units a year just in the US there will be many less expensive upgrades. Next year we will probably be able to buy an innvoate with romraider tune for under $3k.

The more of these they sell the less expensive the power upgrades will become due to volume. I think this was part of Tada's plan.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:50 AM   #67
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
I don't consider the FRZ re-engineered. The Chassis is ground floor from scratch for all but a few small things (which here will always be). Paying for that capital and R&D is why you get much less "car" for the same money as the WRX. Its why the FRZ is so expensive for is #'s. Many of us bought the FRZ for the ground up sports oriented chassis.
Im sure many dont consider these twins re-engineered, but that is ignoring the facts. Calling this car expensive for what it is is also ignoring the facts. Given its chassis and driveline is largely from parts bin items from throughout the industry, plus its $25k cost for the 6spd, RWD, 100hp/L, balance, MPG, DIT, and unique design. You can see the car is neither built from the ground floor up, nor expensive for what it offers. There are other cars that are much truer examples of ground floor up engineering and costly for what it is, but this isnt one of them.

None of this is to say that it wasnt purpose built, its obvious that the implementation of all the parts was very specific and the successful outcome reflects that. Trying to price compete with a brands 20 year old halo staple is just an unrealistic goal. The wrx/sti is consistently one of the best bang for your buck models on the road... depending on what you consider 'bang.'
chulooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:58 AM   #68
JustBoostin

Drives: Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serith View Post
Ringland failure? If yes, that's nothing new.
Delayed response ftw. It's worse than just the ring lands. It had full on bottom end knock.
JustBoostin is offline   Reply With Quote