follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 07:21 PM   #6147
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightbringer View Post
I and others have said it a handful of times now: This is his thread and it needs to stop being cluttered with bashing. If it's legitimate data you're posting that could aid Visconti in improving upon his tune, I think he'd be open to that kind of critique as it's on-point. But there are plenty of other threads to vent frustration without cluttering this one up further.
Personally, I keep crap out of sale threads, but since this is a discussion topic, I think it's fair for customers that have experience with the product being discussed to be free to share their thoughts.

As for others who have no experience with Visconti coming in here and just adding fuel to the fire, well, that's probably crossing the line.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Foobar For This Useful Post:
Adeets (08-31-2013), Carwhisperer (08-31-2013), Nightbringer (08-31-2013)
Old 08-31-2013, 08:18 PM   #6148
blubrz

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blubrz View Post
He is still doing business as usual.
It took a week (which is still long, but not as long as before) but I did get a response to a datalog I sent (under normal priority). It was more than the usual "looks good" and answered my direct questions about why it looked good.
While not perfect, it's an improvement.
Also, now that he has a 93 octane tune (FI MAP2) it is a night and day difference over the 91.
Finally, while you can see from earlier posts that I am not a fan of the customer support, all things considered, I don't blame him for not posting a response on here.
Well, a couple weeks later and I have a tune adjustment that I want but his customer service is still douchery. I asked him about making the FI 93 tune default and he sent me a new file with his patented "here you go" I asked for clarification on how the MAPs were set up and he answered as if I should understand it because he switched two numbers in the file name...but yet, this portion of the file name is not included in "how to decode your calibration name" on his site and it was another week later to get that asinine answer.

Sure, those that are one and done and are happy with a tune because they don't know any better, or maybe they are expert level like JV thinks he is (unlikely), OK. But in my experience his customer service is bushleague and I only deal with it because I've already shelled out the money.

Lesson learned kids, don't be like me...find a reputable tuner that not only has talent, but customer service.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:46 PM   #6149
blubrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
I agree that John is an asshole and all, but this is a textbook example of the cult mentality of Internet forums. A couple months ago he was the gold standard, everyone proudly rocking his tune, good reviews coming from most everyone. Now that it's cool to hate him, th truth comes out (or is it?). Where were all these guys a couple months or even weeks ago? Telling us all to buy johns tune because its awesome, probably lol.
You are referring to "mob mentality." Also, this is wrong.

People shell out good, hard earned money for a product with an expectation of good customer service... and for shelling out that money under those pretenses they have a right to have their voices heard. The recent increase in complaints is a "safety in numbers" scenario. If they were originally unsatisfied, they are unlikely to strike out on their own to voice their opinion in fear that JV would retaliate with sending them a shit tune. Not to say that he would, but this is the unspoken fear that holds most back.

Recent posts are a useful tool to let JV know just how "appreciated" his customer service skills are. JV undoubtedly appreciates his own talent, but I think we are all disappointed in it and are looking for him to step up and realize he is not the only game in town.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:15 PM   #6150
blubrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeets View Post
Oh by the way please make sure to leave your experiences with visconti on his feedback thread located here:
Visconti feedback
Agreed, please do this everyone!
Old 08-31-2013, 09:48 PM   #6151
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I was one of the first buyers in the original group by, and at the time I was as happy as a clam. The tune felt great, the response time was fast, he was reasonably friendly and updates were rolled out quickly with improvement to both the tune and the features. He was exploring options with improving fuel mileage, and was helping to expand the community and his business by traveling to tune FI systems for various shops. The hours he kept would have put most people on their back. I honestly felt bad for his wife.

Now, the last few tune updates have done nothing but add NVH and knock to my bone stock engine. And the customer service has dropped into the toilet.

I honestly don't know if he's surpassed his talent level or his time management skills or both. It is very apparent now that he is in over his head.

I hope he can find whatever he needs to find that will allow him to swallow his pride and apologies for his actions of late. But I have my doubts.

Anyway, it really doesn't matter anymore, I've moved on. I'd encourage others to do the same. After the initial purchase of the license and tune it's only $300 to get another tune and start dealing with another tuner. While I do feel slighted by John's lack of ability to maintain his business, it is his business to run into the ground as he sees fit.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
Carwhisperer (08-31-2013), JPxM0Dz (08-31-2013), KamalT (09-02-2013), Laika (09-01-2013), Nightbringer (09-01-2013), Sportsguy83 (08-31-2013)
Old 08-31-2013, 10:32 PM   #6152
blubrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
I was one of the first buyers in the original group by, and at the time I was as happy as a clam. The tune felt great, the response time was fast, he was reasonably friendly and updates were rolled out quickly with improvement to both the tune and the features. He was exploring options with improving fuel mileage, and was helping to expand the community and his business by traveling to tune FI systems for various shops. The hours he kept would have put most people on their back. I honestly felt bad for his wife.

Now, the last few tune updates have done nothing but add NVH and knock to my bone stock engine. And the customer service has dropped into the toilet.

I honestly don't know if he's surpassed his talent level or his time management skills or both. It is very apparent now that he is in over his head.

I hope he can find whatever he needs to find that will allow him to swallow his pride and apologies for his actions of late. But I have my doubts.

Anyway, it really doesn't matter anymore, I've moved on. I'd encourage others to do the same. After the initial purchase of the license and tune it's only $300 to get another tune and start dealing with another tuner. While I do feel slighted by John's lack of ability to maintain his business, it is his business to run into the ground as he sees fit.
My point, exactly.
The Following User Says Thank You to blubrz For This Useful Post:
Laika (09-01-2013)
Old 09-01-2013, 01:42 AM   #6153
blubrz

It's laughable, but I've been getting on JV's case in his ticketing system and I have not seen a faster response from him ever. Been back and forth about him robbing everyone of HP and that his response sucks, and I get an argument in response in minutes...but for a tune or an update?... WEEKS!!!!!!
Old 09-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #6154
Carwhisperer

Drives: A lot of supercars.
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blubrz View Post
It's laughable, but I've been getting on JV's case in his ticketing system and I have not seen a faster response from him ever. Been back and forth about him robbing everyone of HP and that his response sucks, and I get an argument in response in minutes...but for a tune or an update?... WEEKS!!!!!!
Same with me yesterday. I have 0 respect for this guy calling me a dumbass. Completely wrong move if you want business to continue, but just like mentioned above. Its his business and he can run or burn it into the ground as he wishes.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #6155
JPxM0Dz
F Z1LLA

Drives: Lexus IS-F Series 2
Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,246 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Leaving negative feedback under Visconti's profile will be more effective and get the point accross for potential future customers. If he's not finished yet, his days are definitely numbered...

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 4
Old 09-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #6156
Nardi330

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carwhisperer View Post
I was blinded by the NVH since February when I got his tune. What you said about him being right in his mind always is dead on. Complete moron.

I remembering him asking me over the phone (bricked my ecu because of a bad cable that never got resolved to date) if I was the kid who colored out of the lines in elementary school. I did actually and I know for a fact I am far more successful than his knucklehead.
sorry for being a noob, what is this NVH thing you mentioned?

do you mean the tune actually increase NVH??

thanks in advance.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:38 PM   #6157
Nightbringer

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nardi330 View Post
sorry for being a noob, what is this NVH thing you mentioned?

do you mean the tune actually increase NVH??

thanks in advance.
Noise/vibration/harshness. And yes, several people have commented the latest revision causes an increase for unknown reasons. I always enjoyed the 3800rpm cam-transition growl, but this tune shakes slightly at idle and makes more odd noises at low revs then others. I only have the latest revision, but from what I hear it wasn't present or as noticeable in previous versions of V-Tune.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #6158
Nardi330

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Noise/vibration/harshness. And yes, several people have commented the latest revision causes an increase for unknown reasons. I always enjoyed the 3800rpm cam-transition growl, but this tune shakes slightly at idle and makes more odd noises at low revs then others. I only have the latest revision, but from what I hear it wasn't present or as noticeable in previous versions of V-Tune.
thanks for your reply.

this is interesting. i only got the tune from the last 2 updates so i don't know how the older versions were like. but my car NVH quite a bit.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:09 AM   #6159
Bleevin

Drives: 2013 FRS - Whiteout
Quote:
Which tune are you refering to? The 1.14b4 or b5 tune?

Anyone running the b5 stg1 version? If so how is it?
Old 09-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #6160
Nightbringer

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleevin View Post
Which tune are you refering to? The 1.14b4 or b5 tune?

Anyone running the b5 stg1 version? If so how is it?
1.06b4. Mine is negligible, was just responding that I've heard others comment on the latest revision being a bit rougher.

Closed Thread