follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-20-2017, 03:02 PM   #15
allowe

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
What about JDL, op? They are robust, quality is outstanding, lifetime warranty, fit like oem and have "special tune (patch actually)" with a oft.

They're over a grand CAD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
allowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:23 PM   #16
allowe

So after doing some extensive research. I might be able to get the gruppe s header for 650 cad new. Does it come with gaskets for sure? Now I'm looking at the overpipe.. is it necessary? The 1-2 hp difference isn't really going to be noticeable. It's a 110 cad more. Any opinions?

Old 03-20-2017, 08:09 PM   #17
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by allowe View Post
So after doing some extensive research. I might be able to get the gruppe s header for 650 cad new. Does it come with gaskets for sure? Now I'm looking at the overpipe.. is it necessary? The 1-2 hp difference isn't really going to be noticeable. It's a 110 cad more. Any opinions?

As far as my experience goes, the OP doesnt really do much. The sound might slightly change but you arent really going to notice much else. Not worth the extra money in my opinion.

As far as volume goes. Be prepared to be LOUD. it's a significant increase in volume over what you already have and that one is pretty loud as is. It's not N1 Loud or Muffler delete loud but with the added headers it will definetly turn some heads when you get on it.

I had to sell my OFH because i got an official noise complaint from my Apartment complex. Looking into catted headers next since i want that rumble back.
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:09 PM   #18
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxyion View Post
As far as my experience goes, the OP doesnt really do much. The sound might slightly change but you arent really going to notice much else. Not worth the extra money in my opinion.

As far as volume goes. Be prepared to be LOUD. it's a significant increase in volume over what you already have and that one is pretty loud as is. It's not N1 Loud or Muffler delete loud but with the added headers it will definetly turn some heads when you get on it.

I had to sell my OFH because i got an official noise complaint from my Apartment complex. Looking into catted headers next since i want that rumble back.
Much of the loudness associated with cat-less headers can be dialed back by adjusting cold start and turning off the catalyst warm-up routine. Also, running a proper exhaust is going to be important. Those small bullet style mufflers just don't cut it if you are looking for someone that sounds reasonably quiet.

And The Racer's Line has probably installed more different headers than anyone else I can think of!
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shiv@Openflash For This Useful Post:
allowe (03-20-2017), Keenercarguy (03-20-2017), Lantana frs (03-20-2017), The Racers Line (03-21-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 09:14 PM   #19
allowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv@Openflash View Post
Much of the loudness associated with cat-less headers can be dialed back by adjusting cold start and turning off the catalyst warm-up routine. Also, running a proper exhaust is going to be important. Those small bullet style mufflers just don't cut it if you are looking for someone that sounds reasonably quiet.

And The Racer's Line has probably installed more different headers than anyone else I can think of!

Hey thanks for your input! Could the cold start or the cat warm up routine be changed with oft? Any chance you might run a group buy or a deal on those headers :P? If not it's cool

I wish the Canadian dollar wasn't so shitty!

Old 03-20-2017, 09:16 PM   #20
Lantana frs

Drives: 13 frs red
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv@Openflash View Post

Is the standard ofh still $595 list?
Lantana frs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:56 PM   #21
Turdinator
Se๑or Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
They're over a grand CAD

I feel your pain, the Aus dollar is equally shit. Shoot JDL an email and see if they can help you out. Their product and service are top notch
The Following User Says Thank You to Turdinator For This Useful Post:
Teseo (03-21-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 11:31 PM   #22
Keenercarguy
Mountain Runner

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
@allowe The gruppe-s is fantastic, never had a single problem! Also they don't come with an overpipe... But you can add one for just $75 (so why not at that point! If you ever decide to complete the whole exhaust it'll already be 2.5 inches to the frontpipe... Hard to get a good Overpipe for anything close to that.) AND it comes with all the gaskets and hardware you need to install both without a single worry. Great service, came quickly to my door and I'm still pleased. Not at all affiliated with the company, I'm just a fan of a good product. CNT and 1320 are just barely above eBay garbage, but they're crap anyway, I've known 4 now between the two companies that have developed cracked welds, these aren't really hard to fix: but there are definitely better options. The OFH is a good product, but compared to the Gruppe-S it's not worth the extra money IMHO. The OFH2 with the integrated Overpipe could produce a bit more power in theory, but I don't think they made many, and also $$$$...
What matters much more than the header is the tuning, I sure hope you don't plan to install a header without a tune because that's how you burn money without reason!
Edit: JDL is good too but I made almost the exact same WHP as my friend with a JDL (I made 202.4 and he made 201.3, both on the same dyno, both on an OFT OTS E85 UEL tune) and I spent less money. I also don't have an exhaust leak because everything I needed for fresh seals came with mine... He has developed an exhaust leak and needs new gaskets that he didn't think to buy at first. Not JDL's fault at all, but food for thought! JDL's have great build quality and service from what everyone I know has mentioned, so I'd say they're a good buy... But the Gruppe-S is just so perfect for the money.
allowe (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 11:48 PM   #23
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Could the cold start or the cat warm up routine be changed with oft?
It does. After installing a Gruppe-s header and OP it was atrocious. With the OFT getting that high rev start disabled it now quieter than it was with the stock header and cold start routine.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:49 PM   #24
allowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenercarguy View Post
@allowe The gruppe-s is fantastic, never had a single problem! Also they don't come with an overpipe... But you can add one for just $75 (so why not at that point! If you ever decide to complete the whole exhaust it'll already be 2.5 inches to the frontpipe... Hard to get a good Overpipe for anything close to that.) AND it comes with all the gaskets and hardware you need to install both without a single worry. Great service, came quickly to my door and I'm still pleased. Not at all affiliated with the company, I'm just a fan of a good product. CNT and 1320 are just barely above eBay garbage, but they're crap anyway, I've known 4 now between the two companies that have developed cracked welds, these aren't really hard to fix: but there are definitely better options. The OFH is a good product, but compared to the Gruppe-S it's not worth the extra money IMHO. The OFH2 with the integrated Overpipe could produce a bit more power in theory, but I don't think they made many, and also $$$$...
What matters much more than the header is the tuning, I sure hope you don't plan to install a header without a tune because that's how you burn money without reason!
Edit: JDL is good too but I made almost the exact same WHP as my friend with a JDL (I made 202.4 and he made 201.3, both on the same dyno, both on an OFT OTS E85 UEL tune) and I spent less money. I also don't have an exhaust leak because everything I needed for fresh seals came with mine... He has developed an exhaust leak and needs new gaskets that he didn't think to buy at first. Not JDL's fault at all, but food for thought! JDL's have great build quality and service from what everyone I know has mentioned, so I'd say they're a good buy... But the Gruppe-S is just so perfect for the money.

Holy crap thanks for your input! I'm Guna buy a gruppe s tomorrow. Can I run it without a tune for a bit? Also, was it easy to install or did you have to hammer it in? I heard the overpipe doesn't really make a difference though.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:18 AM   #25
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantana frs View Post
Is the standard ofh still $595 list?
Yes indeed.

OFH2 is $595

OFT3 (with over-pipe) is $695

If you want the best possible performance for a header and tune, use either OFH2/OFH3 with the dedicated OFH Stage 2 OTS tune files. That combo will outperform any other combination of OTS tune and UEL/EL header.
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shiv@Openflash For This Useful Post:
Lantana frs (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 08:20 AM   #26
Bowen