follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 07-01-2015, 01:56 PM   #1
Jawnathin

Drives: Toyobaru FRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2015 SCCA Solo Nationals Thread

Didn't see one posted so I figured we should get one going.

Chime in if you're going, what you're driving, and what class. Share any additional thoughts on places to stay, restaurants to eat at, things to do, etc. Gossip about competitors, setups, or anything else fun that is related to nationals.

I'll be attending Nationals this year. I still need to work out the logistics and register for the class, but I will be going. It will be my first trip out to the big event and I'm looking forward to it.

I will be co-driving my brother's RX8 in C Street. Not because I lost faith in the Twins, but co-driving his car is a lot easier logistically than taking my own car out there.

Who else is going?
Jawnathin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jawnathin For This Useful Post:
justint5387 (07-02-2015), tigermack (08-06-2015), whataboutbob (08-03-2015)
Old 07-01-2015, 02:00 PM   #2
vroom4

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Driving a chariot in STS. Staying at chase suite hotel.
vroom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:47 PM   #3
chucky12012

Drives: 2013 Asphalt Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
In for CS, #12. The Staybridge with the SCCA event rates is where I'm going to be at, good rates all things considered.

BTW... I have some revalved Bilstein shocks (B6) that are very aggressive (probably not great for daily driving) available that I can bring to the event if anyone is interested in buying them, or even just running them for nationals, whatever. With the TRD springs, they are just too much because Bilstein revalved them to simulate a stiffer spring and all, so I'm taking them off my FR-S and running something else. Maybe someone in a BRZ that doesn't have the TRD option? Anyways, if anyone is interested, I'm open to selling them and could bring them to the event. They were $750 new and $400+ for the revalving, but I am open to offers.
chucky12012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:52 PM   #4
simpleisbest
Senior Citizen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
In for CS as well, #81.
Staying with a group of other Cali guys at a house we rented with garage space
simpleisbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:55 PM   #5
markw

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Still debating it. Supposedly there's a car hauler going out. I'll probably split time between the nats and visiting family as I'm from that area. Want to get the car out there without putting the miles on it.
markw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:24 PM   #6
Sammakko
Bilge monkey

Drives: '13 BRZ, 82 starlet
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'll be there, Co-Driving a CS FR-s. Staying at the Fairfield Inn
Sammakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:34 PM   #7
solort

Drives: Series 10 FRS
I plan on making it. Will be either in CS or GS depending on prep funds for the FRS. Also at Fairfield Inn. I look forward to putting some smiling faces to screen names.

Clay
solort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:38 PM   #8
ChrisV

Drives: 2014 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnathin View Post
I will be co-driving my brother's RX8 in C Street. Not because I lost faith in the Twins, but co-driving his car is a lot easier logistically than taking my own car out there.

Who else is going?
Is Jason your brother? If so, I've got a lot of seat time in that car - I co-drove it for 4 years with the PO.

Sammako's codriving my car. 192 CS. Konis, TRDs, and BFGs.
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 01:58 PM   #9
Jawnathin

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw View Post
Still debating it. Supposedly there's a car hauler going out. I'll probably split time between the nats and visiting family as I'm from that area. Want to get the car out there without putting the miles on it.
Shipping it back and forth saves you some time on the road too . Just fly in and drive. I'm planning on doing the same thing except with a co-drive which will already on site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
Is Jason your brother? If so, I've got a lot of seat time in that car - I co-drove it for 4 years with the PO.

Sammako's codriving my car. 192 CS. Konis, TRDs, and BFGs.
Yes, Jason is my brother and it is Chris' old car. I also regularly race with Teddie who also co-drove it at Nationals last year. What a small world. The engine got replaced right before Jason took possession of it, so it should be a little peppier than it was years earlier. Jason has certainly has done well during some of the big events on the East Coast and hopefully that translates to the big event. I will definitely need some practice with it though.

I think a TRD FRS will be very competitive in the class. We've seen Dave Ogburn really showcase what the platform can do. He will be tough to catch at Nationals.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:22 PM   #10
ChrisV

Drives: 2014 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnathin View Post
Yes, Jason is my brother and it is Chris' old car. I also regularly race with Teddie who also co-drove it at Nationals last year. What a small world. The engine got replaced right before Jason took possession of it, so it should be a little peppier than it was years earlier. Jason has certainly has done well during some of the big events on the East Coast and hopefully that translates to the big event. I will definitely need some practice with it though.

I think a TRD FRS will be very competitive in the class. We've seen Dave Ogburn really showcase what the platform can do. He will be tough to catch at Nationals.
I drove it after the new motor was put in, and it's like it's a different car entirely. We never realized how down on power it was because it was a gradual thing, and the car was still competitive. The car has been very well loved while Chris owned it, and it's an amazingly easy car to drive fast. I would have bought it myself if not for the extra care and feeding of the rotary over the FA20. I drive 30k miles a year, and the difference in mileage and expected lifetime of the motor becomes a real number at that pace.

Chris did trophy in that car a couple of years ago, on R6s. He ordered A6s and Tire Rack shipped Rs...he didn't realize it until after the event when he was taking the tires off.

You guys are certainly in the hunt. I'm there for a good time, if I can take the last trophy I'll be thrilled.

And CS is the largest class at nationals by a pretty big margin right now. That's exciting stuff. 41 entries so far.
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 02:35 PM   #11
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS (Raven)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'll be there. #45 CS. It is only 4 hours from Wichita, it is a crime to not go.
DylanFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DylanFRS For This Useful Post:
housecat (08-11-2015), Sammakko (07-02-2015)
Old 07-02-2015, 03:01 PM   #12
AustinTX
Pawn in game of life

Drives: 19 STX BRZzz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Definitely will be there - most likely in an STU STI, but other options are still being weighed. Gotta see how things go against those pesky Corvettes.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:19 PM   #13
Jawnathin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
I drove it after the new motor was put in, and it's like it's a different car entirely. We never realized how down on power it was because it was a gradual thing, and the car was still competitive. The car has been very well loved while Chris owned it, and it's an amazingly easy car to drive fast. I would have bought it myself if not for the extra care and feeding of the rotary over the FA20. I drive 30k miles a year, and the difference in mileage and expected lifetime of the motor becomes a real number at that pace.

Chris did trophy in that car a couple of years ago, on R6s. He ordered A6s and Tire Rack shipped Rs...he didn't realize it until after the event when he was taking the tires off.

You guys are certainly in the hunt. I'm there for a good time, if I can take the last trophy I'll be thrilled.

And CS is the largest class at nationals by a pretty big margin right now. That's exciting stuff. 41 entries so far.
Good to know, thanks for the info. It seemed like a solid car when he got it and he is doing really well with it, so I hope that you're right that it has the chops to get it done. I got the chance to drive the car once when he first got it, but he didn't have the time to get it completely prepped for the autocross. So he couldn't adjust the rear shocks or mess with the front sway bar. Overall it felt pretty good, though I'd want a sharper front end. Little too floppy compared to our 86s but maybe it is better now. His car felt a lot stronger than my old RX8 ever did, but I chalked it up to the shorter gearing on the 17s.

The car might be in the hunt, but I don't know if I am, haha. I'll be happy with a trophy, I'll race you for that last one

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanFRS View Post
I'll be there. #45 CS. It is only 4 hours from Wichita, it is a crime to not go.
I've driven 4 hours to go to 'locals' before. Not going to Nationals would be a crime. Cya there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTX View Post
Definitely will be there - most likely in an STU STI, but other options are still being weighed. Gotta see how things go against those pesky Corvettes.
Good luck! I'd say watch out for 350Zs too if Heikotter makes it out there. He has been really fast in that thing around here, but I think he has a conflict using a real race car . Jonathan Lugod is gonna be a fun one to watch too, he has been doing really well with his FRC C5.

Last edited by Jawnathin; 07-02-2015 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:53 PM   #14
solort

Drives: Series 10 FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by solort View Post
I plan on making it. Will be either in CS or GS depending on prep funds for the FRS. Also at Fairfield Inn. I look forward to putting some smiling faces to screen names.

Clay
You guys convinced me to drive CS #99. Not sure if I will have a co driver but I will have some neg camber
solort is offline   Reply With Quote