follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 10-26-2019, 06:51 PM   #85
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
Do you miss the power of your STI? Or does the BRZ handling make up for it?
Not sure if your question ever got answered, but I had an STI hatch before the FRS as well and for me, the Twins chassis does make up for the step down in power and practicality. But if I didnt track the FRS, I'd probably have kept the STI since its a better street car. More comfortable, more space, rear doors, more torque/power, and AWD for snow. Especially now with a kid, the STI would be ideal since I can't go to the track as much and accessing the rear child seat is a pain with the Twins. But I haven't traded in the FRS yet since the kid (or kids) will grow up eventually and I know I would miss the FRS at the track.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
Dirty Harry (11-02-2019)
Old 10-27-2019, 08:57 AM   #86
mrntd

Drives: 2017 Series.yellow BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My 05 MINI Cooper JCW was getting a little old and I was finally board with it after 6 years. I buddy had a BRZ and raved about it. With a stock car on the original tires he could keep up with my modded MINI except on acceleration. I drove his car and I was hooked.
mrntd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 06:20 AM   #87
Dirty Harry

Drives: 2013 BRZ Satin White Pearl
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Not sure if your question ever got answered, but I had an STI hatch before the FRS as well and for me, the Twins chassis does make up for the step down in power and practicality. But if I didnt track the FRS, I'd probably have kept the STI since its a better street car. More comfortable, more space, rear doors, more torque/power, and AWD for snow. Especially now with a kid, the STI would be ideal since I can't go to the track as much and accessing the rear child seat is a pain with the Twins. But I haven't traded in the FRS yet since the kid (or kids) will grow up eventually and I know I would miss the FRS at the track.
Thanks for the response. The WRX or WRX STI is a car I’d like to own one day, I always like to hear from people who’ve owned them. I’m lucky enough, for me, the BRZ is a weekend car as I catch the train to work and the wife has the family car, so mine doesn’t have to be practical. In saying that I have had a set of golf clubs and a buggy in the back before as the wife took her car out this particular weekend and I was going out for a round of golf. Surprisingly practical for what it is but not overall practical like a hatch if you know what I mean.
Dirty Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:24 AM   #88
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
Thanks for the response. The WRX or WRX STI is a car I’d like to own one day, I always like to hear from people who’ve owned them. I’m lucky enough, for me, the BRZ is a weekend car as I catch the train to work and the wife has the family car, so mine doesn’t have to be practical. In saying that I have had a set of golf clubs and a buggy in the back before as the wife took her car out this particular weekend and I was going out for a round of golf. Surprisingly practical for what it is but not overall practical like a hatch if you know what I mean.
Yeah definitely. I didn't think I'd use the rear seats much in my FR-S, but since my wife and I had our kid, they've actually been invaluable. The FR-S isn't our family car, but it's at least viable to pick up the kid as needed from daycare. And the cargo space is great for track days of course.

The Twins are pretty unique as lightweight RWD 4 seaters. I can't think of anything that matches that description right now.

- 4 cyl Camaro/Mustang are 600-800 lbs heavier
- BMW 230i is 600 lbs heavier
- Q60 is 1000 lbs heavier
- WRX is 600 lbs heavier and AWD
- The hot hatches are all FWD/AWD

The Miata is probably the closest competitor, but only seats 2 and doesn't have a true coupe option.

I'd love to see BMW release a modern e36 M3 sedan. Lighweight, 4 door, N/A, RWD with a 6 speed manual and LSD. I'd even accept a 4 cyl turbo. That's a car I'd take over an STI or Evo.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
Dirty Harry (11-03-2019)
Old 11-03-2019, 08:17 PM   #89
AnUnusedUsername

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I bought an 86 for two reasons:

I had a '79 RX-7 at the time and loved it. The 86 has twice the power, roughly the same weight, a similar powerband, and drastically better steering/suspension. That RX-7 was the only car I've ever had where I could really make full use of it's power on the street. The 86, slow as everyone claims it is, is still too fast to really push on the street.

I wanted a hardtop Miata with firmer suspension that I could live with as an only car. The 86 is supremely practical as a daily driver if you don't have kids, year round with winter tires, so it fit my needs perfectly.
AnUnusedUsername is offline   Reply With Quote