follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #113
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightfrolic View Post
got my wife a 2012 Acura TSX for 32k after all said and done last year. she loves the luxury for under 30k pre-tax. it is a NICE car for the price and well loaded in stock form. if anyone is looking for affordable luxury, give Acura a chance.
My mother has an '08 (last year of pre-beak) and I couldn't agree more. There were four options aside from color combinations: auto vs. manual, navigation vs. non-navigation and one of the best car buying processes I've ever seen (Penske dealers have bar-none the best customer service I've seen).

If the FRS moves "upmarket" then it's competing against the 370Z, a comparison it only wins right now in terms of "driver engagement" (
) and cost, remove one of those advantages and it can't hope to win unless it starts to balloon in weight and "amenities" for that luxury feel.

Incredibly glad I got a first model year car, I've been saying all along that this car won't get better as it evolves; it'll get fatter and more bloated each successive year.

I don't see the point of different brands, simplify your lineup and add quality instead of creating so many products the consumer can't keep track of. There's no reason that the TSX can't be the standard Accord (which the TSX is an Accord in the rest of the world), it just seems like you're cheapening your base product. I understand why automakers have shifted that way (because people keep buying Lexus) but I think it's wasted resources. Screw becoming the number one automaker, make a good car, stay profitable and work on building better cars that's it, any other objective is selfish.
/ranting raving lunatic-ism
strat61caster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #114
xbladex0

Drives: no cars :(
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Guys i have the answer to everything, scion should become the cheap sports car division, PROBLEM SOLVED, FR-S WE GOT THAT, MR-S,SUPRA, AND CELICA? BAM there we go problem solve that is all scion needs and im sure everyone would stop pissing on scion. They can keep those funky cars like the xB or xD w.e they call those box cars and the iQ probably a good smart car competitor LOL!
xbladex0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:50 PM   #115
xbladex0

Drives: no cars :(
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I think he wants a supra if he wants a turbo in it haha! Cause a new supra is suppose to spawn eventually based on article that was somewhere in this site.
xbladex0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:21 AM   #116
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbladex0 View Post
Guys i have the answer to everything, scion should become the cheap sports car division, PROBLEM SOLVED, FR-S WE GOT THAT, MR-S,SUPRA, AND CELICA? BAM there we go problem solve that is all scion needs and im sure everyone would stop pissing on scion. They can keep those funky cars like the xB or xD w.e they call those box cars and the iQ probably a good smart car competitor LOL!
That sound you heard? That was Saber_TRD's head exploding.
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HunterGreene For This Useful Post:
Saber_TRD (04-09-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #117
cfusionpm

Drives: Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbladex0 View Post
The entire point of Scion was to bring the "hip cool young" market over to Toyota. Because no matter how good their cars used to be, no one today associates Toyota with "exciting" "fast" or "fun." Toyota as a brand stands for economy, reliability, and hybrid technology. Marketing 101 says it would be completely dumb for them to try and launch a sports car under that title and it makes absolute perfect sense to keep it under Scion. With the success of the FR-S, I only see more sports/fun type cars coming in through the Scion brand, in addition to quirky niche cars.

Again, it's all Toyota, so who really cares what badge is on the front?

Concept's been around for a while. Eagle Talon/Mitsubishi Eclipse. Same car. And that was back in 1990. I don't have much knowledge of cars before that, but I'm sure there are plenty of other "twin" cars.

2013 Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
cfusionpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #118
usptwins
Toyota Soul

Drives: 96 taco
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
This. Is. RI.DICULOUS. Toyota needs to have the Supra again, if anything... Hell, Lexus already is in development for the LF-LC and im sure another LFA successor. They just have to keep a positive mind as to what will sell. They should know by the amount of people wanting and waiting on the new Supra, that it will sell... If they make it with top quality products and in a very close image as to what the MKIV was. Its a very amazing car. If i can't find THE ONE i want, im just going to have to settle for an FR-S. Toyota doesn't need more economy cars or shit like that. They already have plenty of those on every lot. They need more spice on the lot and just an FR-S or two won't cut it. Let alone with the very bare minimals.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:26 PM   #119
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Scion just needs to die. I don't get it. The general population still has no idea what a Scion even is. You ask anyone on the planet if Toyota makes good cars, the answer will undoubtedly be "yes". Even if the person does not like a single model they produce, there is no denying that they are synonymous with quality. Ask that same question about Scion and I guarantee you you'll get more than a few puzzled looks.

All Toyota had to do was market themselves as being more youthful and sporty. I'm pretty sure I've never heard a young person saying "I don't want a Toyota, because that car is for old people" or "my mom has one" or whatever. All my friends like Toyotas, car enthusiasts or otherwise. Toyota does not need to adhere to the same bull$#!t strategies like Scion and their "mono-spec" nonsense, because they are Toyota and they can do whatever the hell they want. If anything the cars they market under the Scion brand should sell better as Toyotas, because if you ask the average person to write down on paper the 5 affordable car brands they would most like to own, I guaran-f**kin'-tee you Toyota would be on that list and not Scion.

Right now the FR-S is the only thing keeping the brand above water, and it can't last. I don't want to see the car killed off like GM did with the Pontiac Solstice. Toyota needs to get their marketing $#!t together.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Turbowned For This Useful Post:
jmaryt (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #120
jmaryt
Banned

Drives: 2012 honda civic ex
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
Scion just needs to die. I don't get it. The general population still has no idea what a Scion even is. You ask anyone on the planet if Toyota makes good cars, the answer will undoubtedly be "yes". Even if the person does not like a single model they produce, there is no denying that they are synonymous with quality. Ask that same question about Scion and I guarantee you you'll get more than a few puzzled looks.

All Toyota had to do was market themselves as being more youthful and sporty. I'm pretty sure I've never heard a young person saying "I don't want a Toyota, because that car is for old people" or "my mom has one" or whatever. All my friends like Toyotas, car enthusiasts or otherwise. Toyota does not need to adhere to the same bull$#!t strategies like Scion and their "mono-spec" nonsense, because they are Toyota and they can do whatever the hell they want. If anything the cars they market under the Scion brand should sell better as Toyotas, because if you ask the average person to write down on paper the 5 affordable car brands they would most like to own, I guaran-f**kin'-tee you Toyota would be on that list and not Scion.

Right now the FR-S is the only thing keeping the brand above water, and it can't last. I don't want to see the car killed off like GM did with the Pontiac Solstice. Toyota needs to get their marketing $#!t together.
yep! don't forget 'honda" in that mix! honda and toyota "both " pass the "pub" test.this test consists of three people sitting down for a beer at the local bar.they all throw their keys on the bar. honda and toyota=instant recognition (pass)..scion? what the f**k is that?..(epic fail!)..also,maybe if toyota "re-badged" the frs with a "cheap-ass" toyota emblem like over seas,it may make a difference!...just sayin'
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:07 PM   #121
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

All true indeed and fully agree. Honestly considering just the re badging anyhow myself primarily to avoid all the discussions and confusion with "Scion" but yes of course I'd still just tell them it was a Scion FR-S if they asked. I'll admidt till this car I myself never heard of them, never saw one etc...

That all said if there is a Supra in the works, I am anxious to see it when it is born again.
OICU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:49 PM   #122
cfusionpm

Drives: Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
All Toyota had to do was market themselves as being more youthful and sporty. I'm pretty sure I've never heard a young person saying "I don't want a Toyota, because that car is for old people" or "my mom has one" or whatever.
I've heard that dozens of times. Usually from people who don't know anything about Toyota beyond the Prius, Corolla, and Camry.

Quote:
If anything the cars they market under the Scion brand should sell better as Toyotas, because if you ask the average person to write down on paper the 5 affordable car brands they would most like to own, I guaran-f**kin'-tee you Toyota would be on that list and not Scion.
The tC sold remarkably well. You see them everywhere. I owned one, a friend of mine owned one, and there are dozens of them in just about every parking lot I see (mainly first gens, the second gens lost a lot of appeal with the redesign and price hike).

2013 Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
cfusionpm is offline   Reply With Quote