follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 05-20-2020, 06:53 AM   #1
raz.sofer

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2015
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2020 Starlink on a 2015 brz

Hi
I’m trying to install the 2020 starlink from a brz 2020 and have encountered some issues (my car is 2015)
The car came with a preinstalled aftermarket headunit from the dealer(we didn’t get original subaru systems then) with a backup camera and external USB in the glove box, images of it attached:

The unit I bought is this one, by HARMAN ( The right one)

My problems with it are only 2 but kind of massive for me.
The first one - is the backup camera.
On the dealer system they used a yellow RCA connector, as for this headunit I can’t find even an option for a backup camera. Does anyone know a kit / an adapter (if I can even connect a backup camera to this thing).
The second problem is the USB connector (for carplay, eventually.)
The 2015 connector seems different than the one I have on the 2020 headunit, I found the part number but it seems to be the same cable. (image of the connector below)
Does anyone know if there is an adapter, or a new cable I can purchase to use the car play options, usb etc?

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200520/3ad63201***a359a836ceeea9cdf32a0.jpg[/IMG]

Thank you very much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by raz.sofer; 05-20-2020 at 07:03 AM.
raz.sofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:08 AM   #2
dragoontwo

Drives: 22 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Can you take some pictures of the data tags on the 2020 unit? Thanks.
dragoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 01:56 PM   #3
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
The radio that you have looks like a 2017+ radio without nav. You should try to get the 2018+ radio with nav. It came in the limited models. I have a 2017 and replaced that unit with the 2018+ nav unit.

No mater what route you take here is a link to the 2018 WDM. This should cover the 2017+ non nav unit and the 2018+ nav.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gPj...w?usp=drivesdk

You are going to have to pull up the diagram from the 2015 and verify what wires go where. From there you will need to modify the harness to fit the new radio.

FYI you can not buy Subaru wire connectors they only sell entire harness. You will need to rig your own connectors or find a used harness and cut the connectors off.

Info from my change.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132631
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 05:59 PM   #4
raz.sofer

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2015
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
The radio that you have looks like a 2017+ radio without nav. You should try to get the 2018+ radio with nav. It came in the limited models. I have a 2017 and replaced that unit with the 2018+ nav unit.

No mater what route you take here is a link to the 2018 WDM. This should cover the 2017+ non nav unit and the 2018+ nav.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gPj...w?usp=drivesdk

You are going to have to pull up the diagram from the 2015 and verify what wires go where. From there you will need to modify the harness to fit the new radio.

FYI you can not buy Subaru wire connectors they only sell entire harness. You will need to rig your own connectors or find a used harness and cut the connectors off.

Info from my change.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132631

Thank you very much!
Unfortunately we do not get the limited brz here, only premium, this is the highest tier I can get second hand.
I will see you post
About the backup camera - I saw an option for a time out but nothing else. I don’t really know what harness I should get because my camera is aftermarket (the dealer installed whatever they have because when those were imported they came with the simple screen without the bluetooth, so they attached a chinese aftermarket one to every car)
Do you have any idea about the microphone? I don’t have one apparently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoontwo View Post
Can you take some pictures of the data tags on the 2020 unit? Thanks.

I will take it out again tomorrow and will attach photos

Old 05-21-2020, 10:05 AM   #5
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by raz.sofer View Post
Thank you very much!
Unfortunately we do not get the limited brz here, only premium, this is the highest tier I can get second hand.
I will see you post
About the backup camera - I saw an option for a time out but nothing else. I don’t really know what harness I should get because my camera is aftermarket (the dealer installed whatever they have because when those were imported they came with the simple screen without the bluetooth, so they attached a chinese aftermarket one to every car)
Do you have any idea about the microphone? I don’t have one apparently.

I will take it out again tomorrow and will attach photos

You will need to pull the specifications on your back up camera, I think that radio has a 5v or so output to operate. Other option is if you can find a totaled 2017+ That way you could pull the camera/microphone/trim and connectors out. If you find a totaled one you could pull the steering wheel out also and get the controls.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote