follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 04-15-2020, 06:59 PM   #15
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Even on a track day that was damp and there where rain showers they would smear on the rotors. They are also loud as hell on the street.
I never had any issues at the track. Once beaten into submission they didn't make what I considered unacceptable noise on the street. Some noise, yes, but I could live with it.

They worked for me, they'll work for others, but obviously they don't work for everybody. Again, brake pad optimization is going to be *very* driver-dependent.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 12:22 AM   #16
gcranston

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited DGM
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Dan, you've got the noisiest brakes in the paddock! Or was that the Winmax?
gcranston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:54 AM   #17
ZDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcranston View Post
Dan, you've got the noisiest brakes in the paddock! Or was that the Winmax?
Those were Winmax W5s. I loved those pads *except* for the noise! Yeah, it's saying something when you're at the track with a bunch of seasoned trackhounds and heads are turning in astounded wonder at the brake noise Woulda been my go-to pads except for that. Great modulation, great initial bite, high c.f., work when cold, good life. But DAMN at the noise... At the track who cares, but I tend to drive on the street with track pads all season...

Last edited by ZDan; 04-16-2020 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:06 AM   #18
M0nk3y

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS / Chevy Colorado
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by colobrio View Post
I understand re: separate pads. I also suspect that if I have to swap pads twice for every trip to the track, I'm going to wind up going to the track less often. If I'm unhappy with the pads the next time out, I can also get a set of 1.11s then. Otherwise, I'm willing to give up a little, for convenience. This hobby is plenty time consuming as it is.
Just IMO and my $0.02, YMMV...

If you're touching every brake caliper (as you should for a pre-track day shakedown) and bleeding fluid...the extra effort to swap a brake pad on BBK calipers shouldn't be a second thought.

While I realize DS2500s "should" be okay, they are far from ideal. Like anything else, I see it as a safety perspective running proper pads and not compromising.

If you think this is too much work, perhaps you should re-evaluate the hobby. Tough words to swallow, but just my opinion.
Kyle H. - #89 STX
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 11:16 AM   #19
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
I never had any issues at the track. Once beaten into submission they didn't make what I considered unacceptable noise on the street. Some noise, yes, but I could live with it.

They worked for me, they'll work for others, but obviously they don't work for everybody. Again, brake pad optimization is going to be *very* driver-dependent.
Maybe I got a shit set or something

I tried adjusting my braking, no dice. I just find it odd I could smear them on a damp track where I was not driving them that hard. On a hot day I could smear the rears too. I had better performance out of PMU HC800's on my stock calipers.
Old 04-16-2020, 11:57 AM   #20
gcranston

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited DGM
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
but I tend to drive on the street with track pads all season...

I thought you specifically got the PP so you could replace pads without opening the calipers?
gcranston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 12:22 PM   #21
ZDan

Quote:
Maybe I got a shit set or something
Could be... Or actual pad compound not matching the box? I think the XP10s are painted gold IIRC?

Quote:
I tried adjusting my braking, no dice.
Yeah, if you have to "adjust your braking", that ain't right...

Quote:
I just find it odd I could smear them on a damp track where I was not driving them that hard. On a hot day I could smear the rears too. I had better performance out of PMU HC800's on my stock calipers.
Weird for sure. I must have run ~10+ sets over the years between the 240Z and RX-7 and never had any issues. I ran XP8s on the S2000 over the years, likewise never any problems at all with braking, and maybe a little more streetable fwiw. For XP10 and XP8 both I would prefer a bit more initial bite and slightly higher c.f. for less pedal effort required, but they never ever failed me and were IMO quite streetable even DD'ing for months on end.

It has been a few years since I ran Carbotechs, I wonder if compounds or processes have changed?
Old 04-16-2020, 12:31 PM   #22
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Replacement rotors/pads for StopTech BBK

Quote:
Could be... Or actual pad compound not matching the box? I think the XP10s are painted gold IIRC?

Yeah, if you have to "adjust your braking", that ain't right...

Weird for sure. I must have run ~10+ sets over the years between the 240Z and RX-7 and never had any issues. I ran XP8s on the S2000 over the years, likewise never any problems at all with braking, and maybe a little more streetable fwiw. For XP10 and XP8 both I would prefer a bit more initial bite and slightly higher c.f. for less pedal effort required, but they never ever failed me and were IMO quite streetable even DD'ing for months on end.

It has been a few years since I ran Carbotechs, I wonder if compounds or processes have changed?

The backing plate on mine where red.

Yeah I don't know. I have spoken with plenty of people who have had good luck with the XP8's and 10's. I just could not get them to work well for me at all performance wise and mechanically.

korhun (04-16-2020)
Old 04-16-2020, 12:43 PM   #23
ZDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcranston View Post
I thought you specifically got the PP so you could replace pads without opening the calipers?
Yes. Wanted leather/alcantara anyway, so PP at just $1200 more made sense anyway even if only for styleee points, but hate hate hate changing pads on sliding calipers. Even if I only do it 2-3 times a year...
Old 04-16-2020, 02:25 PM   #24
ZDan

Quote:
The backing plate on mine where red.
I mighta been thinking about the Winmax being gold....

Dunno why your results were so poor, again I haven't run them in several years but when I did, on a car more than 10 seconds faster than the BRZ at Watkins Glen, no probs...
Old 04-16-2020, 02:56 PM   #25
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
The range in experiences from people on Carbotechs is pretty broad IMO.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote