follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-21-2014, 12:11 AM   #15
Astroboy

Drives: None
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Hard times my friend..... Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:17 AM   #16
civdaddy

Drives: Slow
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I hydro locked a motor at 100k. A couple hours of putzin around and some new plugs and she was good as new and lasted me 50k miles problem free until I got a new car. A lot of times it's a real easy fix.
civdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:32 AM   #17
Veloist

Drives: ‘93 MR2, ‘22 GR86, ‘23 GR Corolla
Thanked 1,713 Times in 668 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnieves View Post
A Toyota/SCION dealership that doesn't know about a particular SCION model?!?!?!

<mega sarcasm ON> A dealership that doesn't know the product line!??! That's unheard of! <mega sarcasm OFF> That's been an annoyance with Scion for years, these lazy ignorant salesmen only know Prius/Corolla/ and the almighty Camry (even then most of them don't know half of what's in the brochure). No offense to the informed salesmen that do their homework and care about their jobs but there are too many shady slackers out there.
Seriously? Not all dealerships get the Monogram Series cars. Why would they need to know about a car that they don't even allocate?

On the other the hand, sorry about your loss OP. I hope things will get settled out for the best. A '15 WRX does sound sweet...
Old 05-21-2014, 06:30 AM   #18
speedrye

Drives: 2007 FJ 6MT & 2013 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnieves View Post
What's the worst that can happen? Engine rebuild for possible bent rods & electronics due to hydro lock (I don't know if parts and labor would approach the car's FMV).

What's the best situation? Spark plugs removed to remove the bulk of the water then everything from the intake to the exhaust gets opened up and dried out?

Best of luck either way, please keep us in the loop.
Worst case scenario is that water got in to the wiring/harnesses/sensors of the car. Electrical gremlins will be around for the life of the vehicle often after such a minor incident as corrosion slowly works at the connectors. Initially intermittent faults and then failures altogether of anything that's got wires low in the car.
Combine the cost of replacing an engine, all vehicle fluids and the high labor hours of wiring expenses and there's a reason most flood vehicles are totaled and sent to auction. Of course, after replacing all those things, there are still no guarantees that you got everything.
speedrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:10 AM   #19
Pish
#teamswagoi

Drives: 2014 Raven FR-S Monogram
Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Sorry for the bad luck man , I hope things work out !
Pish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:50 AM   #20
CruiseZen

Drives: 2014 Ultramarine 6MT FR-S Monogram
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloist View Post
Seriously? Not all dealerships get the Monogram Series cars. Why would they need to know about a car that they don't even allocate?

On the other the hand, sorry about your loss OP. I hope things will get settled out for the best. A '15 WRX does sound sweet...
I would avoid any dealership that didn't get any allocation of Monograms. It likely means that they sell very few FR-S models and their service department may know little about them. If I ever needed warranty work on my car, I'd rather it be provided by techs who've actually worked on that model before.

OP: Tough break with that flood damage to your car. Best of luck!
Veloist (05-21-2014)
Old 05-21-2014, 08:46 AM   #21
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Because their customers may ask about them. It's in the product line, even if a particular dealer won't get any of them. If I ask about a product in the salesman's product line, and he's never heard of it, I'm not going to have any confidence in his knowledge of his product. Then how can I trust anything else he says about the cars?

Furthermore, even if they aren't scheduled to get one of the Monograms for the showroom, can the customer not order one? And even if the dealer can't order one, there's no reason why they can't find one at another dealership that does have one and arrange to have it transferred. They lose out on that sale in either case if the salesman has no idea what the car is.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Veloist (05-21-2014)
Old 05-21-2014, 04:38 PM   #22
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,182 Times in 965 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Good thing is you and your wife are ok.

Are you getting another FR-S?
vh_supra26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:58 PM   #23
Veloist

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
Because their customers may ask about them. It's in the product line, even if a particular dealer won't get any of them. If I ask about a product in the salesman's product line, and he's never heard of it, I'm not going to have any confidence in his knowledge of his product. Then how can I trust anything else he says about the cars?

Furthermore, even if they aren't scheduled to get one of the Monograms for the showroom, can the customer not order one? And even if the dealer can't order one, there's no reason why they can't find one at another dealership that does have one and arrange to have it transferred. They lose out on that sale in either case if the salesman has no idea what the car is.
That's not how salesmen are trained when a limited variant of a model (special edition) comes out though. What I'm getting from what you are saying in the first paragraph is that salesmen should know the whole product line, as if the Monogram was an optional higher trim that was indefinitely available for allocation throughout its product life cycle. But it's not. It's a limited edition.

Unless a very thoughtful manager trains their salesmen to learn the information of a limited edition car before it is allocated, most of the salesmen know nothing about the limited edition cars. The most common way they learn the car's info? By looking at the monroney sticker when it gets fresh off the truck. If they never get the car this obviously won't happen.

The problem with this is that some (a small amount) consumers will know about the product via car shows or word of mouth. This is problematic because dealerships are not parallel to the announcement of new cars or editions. Dealerships are more inclined to selling what's on the lot, and retaining the information of the current cars makes the salesmen more efficient and economical.

Also we can't leave out buyer responsibility. I think the most simplest thing to do would be to look up which dealerships have one in stock first, to avoid dealer trading and ordering--which are two aspects of selling cars that salesmen prefer not to do, due to the inclination of selling current cars on the lot.

Bottom line is that the dealership system is messed up and most have shortcuts for an efficient and economical point of sale experience.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:59 PM   #24
JT86

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Dont count on them totaling it out. I had this happen to my old civic si that had 70k miles on it at the time. Drove through water that I didn't know was deep, engine sucked up water and blew the engine- rods snapped and oil pump was shattered. No water on the inside of the vehicle either.
Insurance company found a newer engine and replaced it within two weeks.
JT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:40 PM   #25
Gost

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I have no problems with the salesmen. I can't really blame the salesmen for not knowing. The salesmen I was looking for whom I bought the car from the first time however knew his stuff. He had a 350z himself at the time. It's just he had left the job earlier this month to work for another dealership. Bad timing. Anyway I can't blame the salesmen for not knowing what the monogram series is. He thought I was talking about the 10 series. He did look into it and said it would need to be ordered since only 2000 were made. Also I have a wierd relationship with the people at Bay Ridge Toyota. I grew up in Sunset park so I'm right there, they employ alot of people from my neighborhood who I know personally or who might know someone that I know (asian folks in NYC know how tight the asian community is. 1st degree of separation), and who also know my father, his reputation, and his temper. The service rep who takes care of me every time only has 1 guy who works at that dealership who was trained and certified to work on the FR-S. Only he looks at my car no one else even for simply things because the last time, someone went for a ride in my fathers camry, he saw they clocked in 40 miles at the odo and he caused such a scene. I don't know what they expected from a guy who grew up in the Vietnam War.

Their salespeople know that I know more about the cars than they do, so they don't even bother trying to sell me BS. The manager even told me, I'm just going to assign a salesperson who can just guide you through the purchase since you know more than they do about what models are out, features and what is being offered. It's understandable because a majority of their clientele at that dealership are non English speaking Chinese immigrants who are just looking for reliable vehicles.
The dealership itself is managed by a much larger group called the Bay Ridge Automotive group which happens to own ALL the dealerships in that area. (Bay Ridge Honda, Bay Ridge Lexus, Bay Ridge Nissan, etc)

My biggest concern is the value of the car down the line, since it's already on record that the car has been in a flood. That and what the effects of the water will be on the car later, and that is a risk I don't want to take. It may seem like a fat chance of it being totaled but I'm hopeful. They took a look at the car earlier today and was inconclusive. They will be back next Tuesday because the car needs to be broken down further. According to the claims adjuster, they can't seem to determine where the water might have went into the engine from, they're thinking there is more problems with it than the anticipated. That sounded more to me like no one has any idea what they're doing or looking at but I'm not complaining. RIght now the more problems with it, the better chance I have at getting it totaled.
Gost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gost For This Useful Post:
Veloist (05-21-2014)
Old 05-21-2014, 08:53 PM   #26
JT86

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
If you said that water got into your throttle body your engine hydro locked. Water does not compress so when the piston comes up to compress the air/water you will typically bend or break a rod. They need to do a full engine tear down to actually confirm this.

With the water affecting other issues it is not as bad as if it was salt water. Salt water will destroy electrical systems, fresh water will not do nearly the damage and typically only takes it to dry out and clean the connections possibly.

Personally I think your only chance of getting it totaled is if the insurance can not source a slightly used engine. If they are forced to buy a new block assembly from the factory then your chances will go up. Keep in mind they will usually re-use the engine accessories ie AC, alternator, water pump etc.
JT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:17 PM   #27
Veloist

That's good to hear! That sounds really professional.

I'm really hoping for the best case scenario for you though! Good luck!
Old 06-01-2014, 12:14 AM   #28
dnieves

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

It's not just the Monogram, these salesmen don't know anything especially about the Scion product line -between Toyota's lack of advertising dollars and salesman apathy Scion better keep producing more halo cars to stay afloat.
dnieves is offline   Reply With Quote