follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-26-2010, 09:10 PM   #1
Midship Runabout
formerly Dixie Normous

Drives: The ladies wild!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Forget the NA vs Turbo debate!!!!

Lets hope the ft86 doesn't have drive by wire!

TORRANCE, Calif., January 26, 2010 - - Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., today announced that it is instructing Toyota dealers to temporarily suspend sales of eight models involved in the recall for sticking accelerator pedal, announced on January 21, 2010.

“Helping ensure the safety of our customers and restoring confidence in Toyota are very important to our company,” said Group Vice President and Toyota Division General Manager Bob Carter. “This action is necessary until a remedy is finalized. We’re making every effort to address this situation for our customers as quickly as possible.”

Toyota announced it would recall approximately 2.3 million vehicles to correct sticking accelerator pedals on specific Toyota Division models. Toyota has investigated isolated reports of sticking accelerator pedal mechanisms in certain vehicles without the presence of floor mats. There is a possibility that certain accelerator pedal mechanisms may, in rare instances, mechanically stick in a partially depressed position or return slowly to the idle position.

Toyota’s accelerator pedal recall and suspension of sales is confined to the following Toyota Division vehicles:

2009-2010 RAV4,
2009-2010 Corolla,
2009-2010 Matrix,
2005-2010 Avalon,
Certain 2007-2010 Camry,
2010 Highlander,
2007-2010 Tundra,
2008-2010 Sequoia

No Lexus Division or Scion vehicles are affected by these actions. Also not affected are Toyota Prius, Tacoma, Sienna, Venza, Solara, Yaris, 4Runner, FJ Cruiser, Land Cruiser and select Camry models, including all Camry hybrids, which will remain for sale.

Due to the sales suspension, Toyota is expected to stop producing vehicles on the following production lines for the week of February 1 to assess and coordinate activities. The North America vehicle production facilities affected are:

• Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Canada (Corolla, Matrix, and RAV4)
• Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Indiana (Sequoia and Highlander)
• Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Kentucky – Line 1 (Camry and Avalon)
• Subaru of Indiana Automotive, Inc. (Camry)
• Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Texas (Tundra)

No other North American Toyota vehicle production facilities are affected by the decision to stop production.

The sticking accelerator pedal recall is separate from the on-going recall of Toyota and Lexus vehicles to reduce the risk of pedal entrapment by incorrect or out of place accessory floor mats. Approximately 1.7 million Toyota Division vehicles are subject to both separate recall actions.
Midship Runabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:11 PM   #2
Midship Runabout
formerly Dixie Normous

Info from- http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/t...610_p228906387

That is a shit ton of recalled cars
Old 01-26-2010, 10:31 PM   #3
VenomRush
Thee O-ri-gi-na-tor

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
so, what are the benefits of drive by wire anyhow?
VenomRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:23 PM   #4
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
In FT-86, you don't brake torque car, car brake torque for you.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:34 PM   #5
Midship Runabout
formerly Dixie Normous

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomRush View Post
so, what are the benefits of drive by wire anyhow?
that's what I want to know. hell probably everyone wants to know. someone please inlighten.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:30 AM   #6
Lexicon101
Inexperienced

Drives: Crappy old '90 civic. Frankie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowStuffWorks.com
By replacing conventional throttle systems, drive-by-wire systems can significantly reduce the number of moving parts in a vehicle. This reduces weight, increases operational accuracy and stretches out the time between service visits for things like mechanical maintenance and other adjustments.
Saving weight would be nice. So would fewer moving parts and less service needed. If Toyota can get this stuff working right, I'm all for it..

Article, found by simple google search: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-dr...e-by-wire2.htm
If anyone wants to actually go out and learn something, rather than arguing about how something "feels"... Please, do so.
Lexicon101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:55 AM   #7
Franisco

Drives: D31a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon101 View Post
If anyone wants to actually go out and learn something, rather than arguing about how something "feels"... Please, do so.
Nah
Franisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:58 AM   #8
Lexicon101
Inexperienced

Drives: Crappy old '90 civic. Frankie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franisco View Post
Nah
=P
That's why I said "please"... nobody's making you.
Lexicon101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:04 AM   #9
Jordo!
Enjoy it, destroy it.

Drives: Datsun Racing Hen
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Normous View Post
that's what I want to know. hell probably everyone wants to know. someone please inlighten.
Nothing, really. Just replacing a mechanical part with an electric one.

In theory, this might mean more precise measurements of TP, which is an important variable in ECU scaling.

Throttle response should be much better, but I've heard quite the opposite; guess it's all in the factory calibration

As to weight savings... yeah, whatever. Maybe for braking (any cars on the market even have that), but for a throttle, we're talking about removing a cable and a small metal actuator and replacing it with a larger electric motor... ehhh... I'd like to see the actual weight savings there.
Jordo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:22 AM   #10
Siriusly.Andrew

Drives: 1995 Civic DX
DBW was originally introduced specifically for a more efficient cruise control.
They haven't used the electric motors for cruise control since they went to DBW -- They needed the electric motor to operate the throttle for the driver, hence cruise control. I think they started using DBW a lot in 2003-04 on most cars.

When they introduced DBW they allowed the ECU to control throttle electronically - no longer needing a big electric motor to control the throttle body -- providing (supposedly) better fuel management while lightening the load.
(only for cruise control) Benefits for the driver -- supposedly better throttle response, lighter pedal feel and increased fuel economy.

DBW could use the ECU readings to control the engine completely - could tell if you were driving up hill - down hill by monitoring the wheel speed (tire pressure monitor or with new wheels or no sensor, speedo readings) and add / reduce fuel to maintain set speed.
Weight savings : think about it, they have a single sensor on the throttle (TPS Throttle Position Sensor) wired right into ECU harness : thats a lot lighter than the entire old pedal assembly, counter weights and springs and on CC models, the huge chunky motor.
Siriusly.Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:06 PM   #11
Midship Runabout
formerly Dixie Normous

really how much weight are we even talking? a couple pounds maybe? I guess if you were a pure race car trying to save every ounce than ya. but there are other things you can do for weight, replace glass, remove washer fluid resevior and wipers, get a skinnier girlfriend. you know real practical stuff. haah
Old 01-27-2010, 12:12 PM   #12
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Reminds me of the uproar when the mass movement from carbs to efi was made

was I born when it actually happened? hmm.....
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:28 PM   #13
Siriusly.Andrew

Drives: 1995 Civic DX
I think I was JUST born when they started switching to EFI -- they went EFI nuts mid - late 80's. I mean 1990 was the year the last carburetor motor was sold new off the lot (in the US) Subaru at that. So being born in '88 puts me smack dab in the middle of the Carb > EFI switch. hell, we still have a 1979 Pontiac Parisienne with a 4bbl 350 (hand built by my dad in '95) with a 3 speed auto parked in the back yard -- that thing has balls!

As for the DBW system -- I personally still prefer the mechanical throttle, with electronic Cruise Control modules installed (electronic override for cable system, basically both systems minus the huge electric motor attached to the pedal) This method was becoming increasingly popular by auto makers but they decided to go with the full DBW system as a more efficient way to control the engine.

Weight loss was more than likely marginal. As you said, maybe only a couple pounds which in a day to day setting, is like losing weight gradually, or getting a skinnier girl friend :P
Siriusly.Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:08 PM   #14
Jordo!
Enjoy it, destroy it.

Drives: Datsun Racing Hen
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Carburetors suck donkey balls. I don't miss 'em. Yeah they're simple, but they only run right under a very limited range of circumstances.

EFI and distributorless ignition FTW
Jordo! is offline   Reply With Quote