follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 08-05-2023, 01:18 AM   #15
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Theres a reason why Kei cars in Japan works....its so densely populated there. If you ever been there alot of the roads are very skinny. Even the major open roads are skinny. My mother in law owns a BMW 5 series and its baffling how she can manage to get around there. She once told me one of the benefits of having a car that big in Japan was that everyone gets out of your way lol. Freeways/highways arent a big deal but once you get into the rural areas there are roads where you're basically sharing the road with traffic going the other way, cyclists and pedestrians (which might not even have a sidewalk for them to walk on) The population is very good with sharing the road though so there's really no worrying about some asshole driver being a **** trying to run you off.

These will never work here because they'd be rolling deathtraps against dodge rams, F150's and other cars. Think of a honda civic from the 70's/80's. Door panels on kei cars are paper thin (probably contributes somewhat to how tardis like they seem to be on the inside....that and most of them are shaped like a literal box)

How did the Smart fourtwo fare? How did the Scion iQ fare? They didnt really work out and the only thing those cars (which ARENT kei cars) have in common with a kei car is that they're tiny.

The other thing about kei cars is that they're they're slow for american roads. They feel peppy and fine in japan because kei cars are everywhere and everything is scaled down. you dont feel like that first gen prius trying to get up to highway speeds against semis, rams, accords, camry V6's...etc. hell people bitch and whine about the twins being slow...how could they possibly accept a kei car?

And then the Sakura is popular because a Kei car EV makes sense there...not an Ariya, not a BZ4x....plus you dont need 300 miles of EV range in Japan unless you're planning on driving to another city. Almost everything is walkable, and if not the transit infrastructure is insanely good. I beleive you can travel the entire mainland from north to south just on bullet train....might take a few days but you can do it.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-05-2023), Irace86.2.0 (08-05-2023), MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires (08-08-2023), NoHaveMSG (08-05-2023), soundman98 (08-05-2023)
Old 08-05-2023, 08:49 AM   #16
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I'm with @Sasquachulator as to why it won't work in the US, plus there is the whole issue of them not even being legal here from a regulatory standpoint. They are only legal in Japan because of their special class.

These manufacturers are in the business of making money. If their research showed these would be profitable in the US they would be building them in the US.

I loved my '77 Honda Civic, but it's size and safety features (or lack thereof) just don't fit in current traffic. Same with these. You'd be safer on a motorcycle.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Sasquachulator (08-09-2023), soundman98 (08-05-2023)
Old 08-05-2023, 03:11 PM   #17
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
Theres a reason why Kei cars in Japan works....its so densely populated there. If you ever been there alot of the roads are very skinny. Even the major open roads are skinny. My mother in law owns a BMW 5 series and its baffling how she can manage to get around there. She once told me one of the benefits of having a car that big in Japan was that everyone gets out of your way lol. Freeways/highways arent a big deal but once you get into the rural areas there are roads where you're basically sharing the road with traffic going the other way, cyclists and pedestrians (which might not even have a sidewalk for them to walk on) The population is very good with sharing the road though so there's really no worrying about some asshole driver being a **** trying to run you off.

These will never work here because they'd be rolling deathtraps against dodge rams, F150's and other cars. Think of a honda civic from the 70's/80's. Door panels on kei cars are paper thin (probably contributes somewhat to how tardis like they seem to be on the inside....that and most of them are shaped like a literal box)

How did the Smart fourtwo fare? How did the Scion iQ fare? They didnt really work out and the only thing those cars (which ARENT kei cars) have in common with a kei car is that they're tiny.

The other thing about kei cars is that they're they're slow for american roads. They feel peppy and fine in japan because kei cars are everywhere and everything is scaled down. you dont feel like that first gen prius trying to get up to highway speeds against semis, rams, accords, camry V6's...etc. hell people bitch and whine about the twins being slow...how could they possibly accept a kei car?

And then the Sakura is popular because a Kei car EV makes sense there...not an Ariya, not a BZ4x....plus you dont need 300 miles of EV range in Japan unless you're planning on driving to another city. Almost everything is walkable, and if not the transit infrastructure is insanely good. I beleive you can travel the entire mainland from north to south just on bullet train....might take a few days but you can do it.
There is a certain amount of standards that should be included in cars, but like motorcycles, if someone wants to increase their risk then that is on them. It seems silly for companies to be forced into making three-wheeled, passenger cars to circumvent laws. They are clearly handicapping those vehicles, while not really keeping anyone safer, especially when four wheels would be better than three.

Again, motorcycles share roads and highways with 80k pound 18-wheelers. There is no reason why the SmartCar or iQ is fine, but this Nissan would be a problem, especially since it is longer and taller than the iQ and weighs as much as a Miata and has a 9” longer wheelbase. It is just narrow, and it uses a bench seat to accommodate a squishier cabin over the iQ.

We have plenty of dense cities in the US with tight roads and limited parking like SF that make kei cars appealing. There are people like me in smaller cities with a short commute without needing to get on the highway that could use a daily that is basic. I think EVs would fix a lot of the shortcomings with kei cars and be able to free up some design constraints because of the smaller motor and longer wheelbase, all while making them slightly safer due to a low COG, no engine, stiffer chassis. It could help get more people into EVs too, especially with ride sharing and autonomous driving in the future.

I think your points are valid, but I also think EVs have changed things, which would make it worth revisiting.
Dadhawk (08-06-2023), NoHaveMSG (08-07-2023)
Old 08-05-2023, 03:36 PM   #18
Irace86.2.0

I’m also talking about small cars in general over just kei cars—minicars. There is a number of cool kei cars below, and I’ve mentioned some mini cars already. The government could incentivize people to buy mini-EVs too with tax rebates in the same way Japan incentivizes kei cars. Cheaper cars usually get a break on registration fees and insurance, but the government could do more.

https://www.retromotor.co.uk/features/kei-cars-story/

Autozam AZ-1

Honda Beat
Old 08-05-2023, 03:41 PM   #19
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
my state has carved out a dedicated mini truck plate and legal framework.

i had no idea it even existed until a year ago when i finally saw 1 kei truck with the plate. haven't seen another since.

kei-vehicles just aren't popular in the states, even when special regulations are carved out specifically for them to thrive.
Irace86.2.0 (08-05-2023), NoHaveMSG (08-07-2023)
Old 08-05-2023, 03:59 PM   #20
Irace86.2.0

Diminutive, but ready for FnF.

Attached Images

Old 08-05-2023, 05:11 PM   #21
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
my state has carved out a dedicated mini truck plate and legal framework.

i had no idea it even existed until a year ago when i finally saw 1 kei truck with the plate. haven't seen another since.

kei-vehicles just aren't popular in the states, even when special regulations are carved out specifically for them to thrive.
I’m sure you’re not the only one that didn’t/doesn’t know, so that could also be why they aren’t more popular. The article I posted before mentions that the importers are maxed out on kei truck requests. There are probably more around than people think, but overall, how many will be imported? There is a premium to do so. I think there would be more demand if they were sold stateside. I know the Jimny would be a hit and continues to be discussed, as a short-wheelbase, mini 4x4. Smaller trucks in general are missing from the market, so a mini truck would be a hit.

I’ve mentioned the Honda Grom being a hit, but these little pocket bikes have a cult following and stole the show at a Monterey Bay pre-WSB/Laguna Seca impromptu bike show that forms each year.
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2023, 09:02 AM   #22
tiger1964

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
The government could incentivize people to buy mini-EVs too with tax rebates in the same way Japan incentivizes kei cars. Cheaper cars usually get a break on registration fees and insurance, but the government could do more.
I agree with this. There could be a strong sliding scale on registration based on size, mpg, whatever criterion works best.

With my wife retiring in two years, and I'm already there, we'll really only need one car with the power and range to go longer distances and/or tow... and the BRZ is likely it for some time. When I replace my Boxster, probably in 2030, I would be content with a small "local runabout" whether a small EV of an ICE Kei car.
Irace86.2.0 (08-08-2023)
Old 08-07-2023, 03:42 PM   #23
alex87f
Meow

Drives: GT86, Volvo 996
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I’m also talking about small cars in general over just kei cars—minicars. There is a number of cool kei cars below, and I’ve mentioned some mini cars already. The government could incentivize people to buy mini-EVs too with tax rebates in the same way Japan incentivizes kei cars. Cheaper cars usually get a break on registration fees and insurance, but the government could do more.
The Japanese way is not only to offer reduced tax on Kei cars, but also to heavily tax other types of vehicles.

I don't know all US sales & registration taxes, but waving them altogether may not create a strong enough incentive.
alex87f is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alex87f For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (08-08-2023)
Old 08-08-2023, 12:30 AM   #24
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex87f View Post
The Japanese way is not only to offer reduced tax on Kei cars, but also to heavily tax other types of vehicles.

I don't know all US sales & registration taxes, but waving them altogether may not create a strong enough incentive.
Some states have no registration fees and some have tiny fees and some have larger fees. For a family with three to four vehicles in California, you can be paying a few hundred or over a thousand for all vehicles. We have a Q5, BRZ and Ducati and pay $750-1000. Small and cheap cars are already cheaper, so you are right that it probably wouldn't make a huge different. Like EVs, a federal and state tax credit/rebate would be best, and of course, they could require manufactures selling over a certain number of cars to have an option for mini cars/trucks or something.
Old 08-08-2023, 01:06 AM   #25
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

https://www.retromotor.co.uk/features/kei-cars-story/

Autozam AZ-1

Honda Beat
Most small cars have already disappeared or will be gone from the N/A Market. The only ones left are the Nissan Versa, Kia Rio and the Mitsubishi Mirage (which is ancient in car years). Yaris is gone, Mazda2 is gone, Fit is gone...Chevy Spark is gone, Hyundai Accent i think disappeared......a kei car is not even a starting point of outside of that 25year old exemption rule (15years in Canada muhahaha)
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 03:09 AM   #26
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
Most small cars have already disappeared or will be gone from the N/A Market. The only ones left are the Nissan Versa, Kia Rio and the Mitsubishi Mirage (which is ancient in car years). Yaris is gone, Mazda2 is gone, Fit is gone...Chevy Spark is gone, Hyundai Accent i think disappeared......a kei car is not even a starting point of outside of that 25year old exemption rule (15years in Canada muhahaha)
Jimny is sold in Mexico. Tell me you wouldn't want this beast to go off-roading? Small cars are gone intentionally. It isn't because consumers don't want them. It is because manufactures want to sell the biggest thing possible to make the most money, but it isn't what may be best. We just need incentives. EVs could fix everything that sucks about a minicar; more room, more performance, better safety, better handling, etc. I'm saying we should revisit them and incentivize production and sale of minicars. With robotaxis and FSD cars, seems like these will be there in the future.

Old 08-09-2023, 07:25 AM   #27
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Small cars are gone intentionally. It isn't because consumers don't want them. It is because manufactures want to sell the biggest thing possible to make the most money, but it isn't what may be best. We just need incentives.
I disagree. Yes, there is some set of the buying public that would love a small vehicle like this, but at least in the US, it isn't there. It isn't some grand conspiracy, it's just not what the buying public wants in a vehicle any longer in any meaningful numbers.

Just the fact that you think they should be subsidized to drive interest speaks to the interest not being there. The products should stand on their own, as should EVs for that matter.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (08-12-2023)
Old 08-09-2023, 07:36 AM   #28
alex87f
Meow

Drives: GT86, Volvo 996
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I disagree. Yes, there is some set of the buying public that would love a small vehicle like this, but at least in the US, it isn't there. It isn't some grand conspiracy, it's just not what the buying public wants in a vehicle any longer in any meaningful numbers.

Just the fact that you think they should be subsidized to drive interest speaks to the interest not being there. The products should stand on their own, as should EVs for that matter.

This is a chicken or the egg type of situation. Are they gone because the public doesn't want them, or are they dismissed by the buying public because larger vehicles are pushed onto the consumer through marketing / availability / etc. ?

There isn't much a 2023 vehicle does that a smaller equivalent from 15 years ago doesn't.
alex87f is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alex87f For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (08-09-2023), MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires (08-09-2023)