follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 04-13-2020, 11:07 PM   #8961
sroby

Drives: 2015 Firestorm 08/05/15
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Supercharger run dry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86driftcar View Post
Hey sorry to resurrect a 4 year old comment but I'm wondering if you ran into any issues letting the Supercharger oil run almost dry. I actually did the samething... let my supercharger oil run really low - Not thinking it would go through so much oil in so little time. I siphened the sludge and topped it off already but I'm paranoid to push the car passed 4k rpms now. I dont even track my car it's only for weekend pleasure drives. Is it possible that there is some internal damage to the supercharger?
You need to get in touch with Jon Bond performance. He is now your (John:3/16) He can give you the reasons on why these unit have an inherent issue with front seals. Especially if you let it run dry.
sroby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sroby For This Useful Post:
86driftcar (04-30-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 08:39 PM   #8962
kev0

Drives: '14
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I have PCV oil seeping out of my SC from the back. Is there supposed to be some sort of PCV valve in the back or something? If so, where can it be found on the SC? Going to try and fix it myself.
kev0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 10:31 AM   #8963
LOJOKO

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2013 6AT& Honda Odyssey
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev0 View Post
I have PCV oil seeping out of my SC from the back. Is there supposed to be some sort of PCV valve in the back or something? If so, where can it be found on the SC? Going to try and fix it myself.
These two points?
kev0 (04-18-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 07:46 PM   #8964
An Amish Woman

Drives: '15 WRB Brz
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I just picked up this kit a few weeks ago. I have a shop that is going to do all the work for me, although he has never installed this specific kit.

My car is a show car/weekend warrior road car.
I was wondering if there is anything I should be upgrading/replacing since I will be ripping into the car? I was thinking a larger alternator for starters, since mine is starting to look nasty and corroded. And had thoughts of upgrading the sound system to something with better sound.

'15 WRB BRZ Limited (Summer)
'93 Ford Festiva L (Work Horse / Race Project)
An Amish Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 08:31 PM   #8965
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Amish Woman View Post
I just picked up this kit a few weeks ago. I have a shop that is going to do all the work for me, although he has never installed this specific kit.

My car is a show car/weekend warrior road car.
I was wondering if there is anything I should be upgrading/replacing since I will be ripping into the car? I was thinking a larger alternator for starters, since mine is starting to look nasty and corroded. And had thoughts of upgrading the sound system to something with better sound.
Intercooler if you didn’t get it.
Injectors if going E85
Supercharger has nothing to do with need for alternator, although your sound system may.
Supercharger idler/tension pulley mentioned in thread previously. With 69mm pulley you won’t need to change belts to fit it.
Perrin cold air intake
Gold heat tape entire intake pipe.

Really nothing special you need, besides good tires to put the power down.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 05:12 PM   #8966
An Amish Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
Intercooler if you didn’t get it.
Injectors if going E85
Supercharger has nothing to do with need for alternator, although your sound system may.
Supercharger idler/tension pulley mentioned in thread previously. With 69mm pulley you won’t need to change belts to fit it.
Perrin cold air intake
Gold heat tape entire intake pipe.

Really nothing special you need, besides good tires to put the power down.
I will be doing new injectors, fuel pump, spark plugs. Builder suggests just replacing the idler assembly due to the bearings going bad.

I have a Grimspeed intake
and good tires

Old 04-21-2020, 06:27 PM   #8967
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Amish Woman View Post
I will be doing new injectors, fuel pump, spark plugs. Builder suggests just replacing the idler assembly due to the bearings going bad.

I have a Grimspeed intake
and good tires
Not the idler assembly.
The idler/tensioner that comes with supercharger. But really depends more what supercharger pulley you are using.

You can’t use the grimmspeed intake, unless you can retrofit it to work somehow. Possible to do, but easier to just sell it and buy a Perrin cai or just use factory airbox. But the perrin makes it whine more.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 10:55 PM   #8968
An Amish Woman

Quote:
Not the idler assembly.
The idler/tensioner that comes with supercharger. But really depends more what supercharger pulley you are using.

You can’t use the grimmspeed intake, unless you can retrofit it to work somehow. Possible to do, but easier to just sell it and buy a Perrin cai or just use factory airbox. But the perrin makes it whine more.
I'll just have to call and ask what he wanted me to look for/what he ment. He had spoken to fast for me to write it down. I'll be using the stock pully that came with the kit.

Well that stinks. I liked the Grimspeed one. It dressed up much nicer.

Old 04-27-2020, 10:48 AM   #8969
LOJOKO

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2013 6AT& Honda Odyssey
Garage
Quote:
I had the same problem. Last time I overfilled the engine oil.
Now I refilled the right amount of engine oil. It seems that it cannot stop the rise of oil and gas, especially in cold weather. and I am going to install the oil catch tank.
But I do n’t know if it is a mistake to completely ban these oils and gases from entering the intake manifold.
The same situation, refer to the post near page 191.
Old 04-30-2020, 05:46 PM   #8970
86driftcar

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by sroby View Post
You need to get in touch with Jon Bond performance. He is now your (John:3/16) He can give you the reasons on why these unit have an inherent issue with front seals. Especially if you let it run dry.
Thanks for replying - Do you know where I can get in contact with Jon Bond Performance?
86driftcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 05:52 PM   #8971
86driftcar

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
He hasn’t logged in, in almost 3 years.

Very possible. But depends a lot on how low, for how long, and how hard it was driven.
But the dmg is done if any was done.
Top her off, and keep driving as normal. Most likely not going to do more damage to anything else. If its damaged whatever was damaged will need replacing regardless. So Just send it. After warming up do a couple good hard pulls, listen for any weird sounds during and after, and if it survives and doesn’t make weird noises. Your probably good.
I've pushed the car already and everything seems fine, well except for this belt squeak I've had for months which Im replacing next week (this is a different issue).
As far as the supercharger goes, its breathing oil through the rear of the blower where my AOS (air oil separator) connects. It doesnt look like a leak just heavy breathing oil residue.
86driftcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 06:07 PM   #8972
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Some people have had trouble with the plastic fittings on the back of the supercharger and have had to remove the unit to fix. You might look into brass before installing. I have had no trouble yet, six years.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ls1ac For This Useful Post:
86driftcar (05-10-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 12:16 AM   #8973
sroby

Jon Bond info

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86driftcar View Post
Thanks for replying - Do you know where I can get in contact with Jon Bond Performance?
JonBondPergormance.com. Google your new best friend ✌️
86driftcar (05-10-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 12:27 AM   #8974
sroby

POV oil.

Quote:
That’s more than like,y not POV oil seeping out the back of the charger. The front seals from sprintex are not good. They need to be Viton high gear and presure seals. Jon Bond has them. That’s front gear oil from the charger getting by the front seals. It costs the rotor pac and goes into the intake. It will eventually throw a misfire code as the plugs will start to get fouled. It’s an engineering flaw design that Jon Bond can explain to you. He can take care of it to an extent. But they are typically always going to use a small amount of oil.
Some not as bad as others and some none at all. But never ever let the charger run low on oil. Good insurance is check it every Sunday as a routine and then do a look phase inspection as well . Hope this helps 👍
86driftcar (05-10-2020)

Tags
2 whp better than n/a e85, 2 whp? you're an idiot., 2screwsbetterthan0screw, 65 whp better than na e85, bspt fittings ftl, hate u all me no have sc, im just here for the tags, inorite!, it's no turbo but, only big numbers matter, screwyou, whine sexier than turbo, whines_more_than_your_gf, wts grey market butthurt.