follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 02-19-2013, 05:31 AM   #1
Chen
Regional Moderator

Drives: 13' ZN6 / 00' AP1 / 20' A90/ 15 EVO
Thanked 1,275 Times in 854 Posts
Mentioned: 307 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Oregon visitor.

So I've been to California a couple times this month for work and junk. But this time I'm going to be driving. My main concern, when I visited I was in Southern California, and drivers there were well... A lot more aggressive than I'm used too. Also, the traffic sucked. I couldn't imagine driving a stick in those conditions. My question is. What's Northern California like? Are drivers less aggressive this direction? How's the traffic? Just trying to gather the info before I decided wether or not to take the 86 down south.
Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #2
MyRx

Drives: Flight 86 is now boarding.
Thanked 1,502 Times in 700 Posts
Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Where will you be in NorCal? We have traffic here too. But we have less freeways and people as well. Spend a weekday driving the backroads - no traffic. Spend a weekend driving the backroads - watch out for bikers.

Bring the 86 down
MyRx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #3
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,481 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Driving in LA I noticed that many people treat the gas pedal as an On/Off switch, punching it the second there is a gap giving no quarter to fellow drivers. If you're part of that flow you'll be ok, it just takes a couple hours to get used to.

Born and raised Nor Cal, for the most part heavy traffic is less aggressive and less stressful than LA (you get the standout assholes i.e. driving up the shoulder instead of merging properly but I'm sure that's everywhere). Get used to most people going 5-10 mph over the speed limit when they can and people sitting in the left lane without passing anyone. Other than that it really depends on where you go, heavy metropolis or central valley somewhere.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #4
BlaineWasHere
Grip>Drift

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,749 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I drive my 6MT everyday into this so called "aggressive traffic." I already have 21K miles commuting in the Bay Area.

Just man up and do it. We do everyday. Plus it's just a Scion FR-S, not a 458 Italia, what are you so worried about?
Old 02-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Really depends where in NorCal you'll be (still a very large area). If you're gonna be close to say, SF bay area, then you can expect the usual traffic during the peak hrs. From experience (I've driven in LA/San Diego area numerous times), drivers are a lot more laid back and tend to cruise a certain speed in the freeways, 5-10 mph faster than the posted speed limit if they can. Not as much "aggressive driving" as in cutting you off to get their way, etc. Still expect slow cars in the passing lane and passing in the right lanes, the periodic tail gating assh0le and inattentive driver.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
dun3

Drives: 2013 Ultra Marine Blue FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
traffic in the Bay Area is Heaven compared to SoCal. Aggressive drivers? Not so much as opposed to SoCal imo.
dun3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #7
BlaineWasHere
Grip>Drift

I'm not from around here and drivers in the Bay Area are sooooo bad sometimes I think you don't actually have to pass any tests to get a drivers license in this state. And most drivers suck. I'd say only about 6 of every 10 drivers here is actually road worthy. I get where the OP is coming from, I used to live in the boonies.

I think it's actually a USA problem. We let people keep taking the test until they pass. I think if you fail more than once you should have to take the whole course over again from the start like you're 15. If you look at how some other 1st world countries license drivers and we're pretty weak. Most people think driving is a right, well sorry it's a privilege for those who can handle it.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:59 PM   #8
Chen
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRx View Post
Where will you be in NorCal? We have traffic here too. But we have less freeways and people as well. Spend a weekday driving the backroads - no traffic. Spend a weekend driving the backroads - watch out for bikers.

Bring the 86 down
Going to Oakland/Bay area. Not sure exactly. I'll be getting more details later this week. I agree w/ taking back roads. But not knowing the area. I'm not to sure how comfortable I would be doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Driving in LA I noticed that many people treat the gas pedal as an On/Off switch, punching it the second there is a gap giving no quarter to fellow drivers. If you're part of that flow you'll be ok, it just takes a couple hours to get used to.

Born and raised Nor Cal, for the most part heavy traffic is less aggressive and less stressful than LA (you get the standout assholes i.e. driving up the shoulder instead of merging properly but I'm sure that's everywhere). Get used to most people going 5-10 mph over the speed limit when they can and people sitting in the left lane without passing anyone. Other than that it really depends on where you go, heavy metropolis or central valley somewhere.
Ha. In southern California. I felt I was I was going to get rear ended or rear end somebody else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere View Post
I drive my 6MT everyday into this so called "aggressive traffic." I already have 21K miles commuting in the Bay Area.

Just man up and do it. We do everyday. Plus it's just a Scion FR-S, not a 458 Italia, what are you so worried about?
Lol, driving in Oregon is way different than driving in California in my experience. Ha. Idk about you but I don't have money to buy another 86. and it being my only car. I wouldn't want to be without a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
Really depends where in NorCal you'll be (still a very large area). If you're gonna be close to say, SF bay area, then you can expect the usual traffic during the peak hrs. From experience (I've driven in LA/San Diego area numerous times), drivers are a lot more laid back and tend to cruise a certain speed in the freeways, 5-10 mph faster than the posted speed limit if they can. Not as much "aggressive driving" as in cutting you off to get their way, etc. Still expect slow cars in the passing lane and passing in the right lanes, the periodic tail gating assh0le and inattentive driver.
noted. so far it seems like it's a little easier going than socal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dun3 View Post
traffic in the Bay Area is Heaven compared to SoCal. Aggressive drivers? Not so much as opposed to SoCal imo.
Quote:
I'm not from around here and drivers in the Bay Area are sooooo bad sometimes I think you don't actually have to pass any tests to get a drivers license in this state. And most drivers suck. I'd say only about 6 of every 10 drivers here is actually road worthy. I get where the OP is coming from, I used to live in the boonies.

I think it's actually a USA problem. We let people keep taking the test until they pass. I think if you fail more than once you should have to take the whole course over again from the start like you're 15. If you look at how some other 1st world countries license drivers and we're pretty weak. Most people think driving is a right, well sorry it's a privilege for those who can handle it.
Nicely said and I agree 100%
Old 02-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #9
BlaineWasHere
Grip>Drift

Most of us live in the Bay Area. It's not nearly as bad as SoCal as long as you don't travel during peak hours.

I don't worry about someone hitting me, that's why my car is insured. FR-S is my only car as well.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:55 PM   #10
Chen
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Most of us live in the Bay Area. It's not nearly as bad as SoCal as long as you don't travel during peak hours.

I don't worry about someone hitting me, that's why my car is insured. FR-S is my only car as well.
Noted. Maybe when I come down I can meet up w/ some of the local owners.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #11
BlaineWasHere
Grip>Drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chen View Post
Yeah for sure! There are more 86 cars in NorCal and SoCal than any other geographical area in North America so there are quite a few of us.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:48 PM   #12
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chen View Post
Let us know! Seems like the NorCal folks would take any excuse to meet up, lol
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
JackSmiley (02-21-2013)
Old 02-19-2013, 05:54 PM   #13
driftartist
Kurenai Samurai

Drives: Red and manual
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
did somebody say meet?! lemme know
driftartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #14
Chen
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Yeah for sure! There are more 86 cars in NorCal and SoCal than any other geographical area in North America so there are quite a few of us.
I'll keep you guys posted for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
Let us know! Seems like the NorCal folks would take any excuse to meet up, lol
Haha makes me wish some of the Oregon folks would like to meet up.

speaking of which. The NW folks are planning a camping trip. IDK if you guys would be interested in joining in on that.