follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 11-06-2018, 01:13 PM   #15
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Remember that turning the wheel all the way to the left and right will lift that side of the car in the air higher. When going down a driveway and making a right, you want to turn the wheels left toward the street at the last second to lift the left side of the car up to avoid scraping.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to norcalpb For This Useful Post:
arkanist (11-07-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 03:54 PM   #16
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brink View Post
I'm stock height with a front lip and I can usually avoid scraping the lip if I'm careful, but it's always close - I feel like the length of the front overhang is more of a problem than just the height. As much as I like the appearance of the lip it definitely does take away from the ease of dailying the car - have to be careful with which driveways I go up and down, how I approach them, which way I'm turning when exiting a driveway to angle the exit properly etc. or I will scrape. Pretty sure if I was lowered even 3/4" or so I'd have torn off the front lip by now. It's working for me so far but just remember you're going to have to plan your approach every time you go up or down a driveway.
Thanks man. What lip do you have and would you recommend having one? I love the look of them especially on white, but I can imagine it being a pain having to be extra careful everywhere you go.
Will BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:56 PM   #17
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
I don't think it works that way unless you don't care if your speedometer is out of whack.

The car is low enough as it is, I dunno if I would want to lower it due to that factor. Theres curbs and speedbumps I wouldn't want to get stuck on.
But at the same time the wheel gap is pretty big at stock height. I just find that all the available springs and stuff drops it too much.
Yeah it is pretty low as it is. I might just get 18s first then go from there. It's the almost monster truck wheel gap that gets me haha.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:01 PM   #18
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...

Thanks everyone. Don't really mind scraping every now and then, but I don't want to be the guy dragging his bumper everywhere. Not going to slam it of course but I think maybe a 1 inch drop will do the trick. Just gotta start getting used to angling the car and going even slower on speed bumps haha
Old 11-06-2018, 10:31 PM   #19
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
I don't think it works that way unless you don't care if your speedometer is out of whack.
Speedo is based on overall wheel/tire diameter. 18s with the correct specs can maintain correct speedo accuracy (or at least very close)

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:15 PM   #20
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
cheap car who cares...just find a good bumper off a totaled 86 to be your showcar bumper
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:52 PM   #21
Brink

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will BRZ View Post
Thanks man. What lip do you have and would you recommend having one? I love the look of them especially on white, but I can imagine it being a pain having to be extra careful everywhere you go.

I have the APR air dam plus their side skirts and spats. I like the look on the white car, especially with the TRD fender garnish also carbon fiber to match. As for whether or not I'd recommend it, I think it's too situational to give a universal recommendation. I'd say it depends on the area you live in, where you do most of your driving, if dealing with the clearance issues is going to be too problematic to be worth it. Especially if you're lowering too. There aren't a lot of speed bumps around here and all the speed bumps on roads are low enough that I can take at ~20 mph. The ones in parking lots are higher so I either crawl over them at 4 mph or find a way around them, but everything so far I've been able to clear straight on. Don't know how true that would be if I were lowered at all. Most driveways are manageable and there's generally street parking most places if I don't want to deal with it. Only found one driveway so far that is near impossible to get down without scraping and it's so bad ordinary sedans will scrape if they're not careful.

So it's not too much trouble so far and for now I think it's worth it to be able to make the car look the way I want it to, but if I were just tearing up the lip constantly with my daily driving I wouldn't keep it on.

Also depending which lip you're looking at might be easier to deal with than the APR. I think APR's is longer and lower than some.
Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 03:14 PM   #22
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Speedo is based on overall wheel/tire diameter. 18s with the correct specs can maintain correct speedo accuracy (or at least very close)
This is true,

I just meant that you cant' just drop the car and get 18"s to raise it back up and cancel the drop while filling the wheel gap. If you did that the tires are likely the wrong size and the speedo would be off.

If you got the correct specs for speedo accuracy then the wheel/tire diameter on the 18's aren't going to be that much different than the 17's so you're not going to gain much height back.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (11-07-2018), kch (11-12-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 04:43 PM   #23
KnightRyderx2

Drives: 2014 FR-S
I am dropped just over 2" all around and rarely scrape. If it does happen its on the midpipe. I have scrapped on a few speed bumps, in parking garages and on a few unexpected inclines. Its a cringe moment.

As said driving a lowered car is something of an art form, you have to have proper technique and be aware of everything. You just have to learn what you can and cannot go over, and be able to recognize them even if its the first time you come up on it. There is quiet a bit of planning your route through certain areas, especially parking lots. If I do go over a speed bump I go super slow, sorry guy in the back.
KnightRyderx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:43 PM   #24
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
You mentioned wanting a 'meaner stance', if this means the below then you can't do that without scraping all the time. Go with a modest/clean/mature drop, such as the Eibach Pro-kit, and you will avoid scaping all the time. Pair these springs with 18" wheels and you should get closer to the look you want.

Don't do this to your BRZ:
B-R-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to B-R-Z For This Useful Post:
why? (11-08-2018), Will BRZ (11-07-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 07:23 PM   #25
eastendraceshop

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S & '17 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
My FRS is lowered 2 inches (bad driver much?) with an Aeroflow front splitter. I scrape on steep driveways all the time and you can't tell. The splitter is solid and will take a lot of abuse, the best part is, you can't see the damage!

-Sam
eastendraceshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:29 PM   #26
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I just meant that you cant' just drop the car and get 18"s to raise it back up and cancel the drop while filling the wheel gap.
Yes you can. You can just do that.

Quote:
If you did that the tires are likely the wrong size and the speedo would be off.
And then the world would end because people are too stupid to make the mental adjustment.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:14 PM   #27
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brink View Post
I have the APR air dam plus their side skirts and spats. I like the look on the white car, especially with the TRD fender garnish also carbon fiber to match. As for whether or not I'd recommend it, I think it's too situational to give a universal recommendation. I'd say it depends on the area you live in, where you do most of your driving, if dealing with the clearance issues is going to be too problematic to be worth it. Especially if you're lowering too. There aren't a lot of speed bumps around here and all the speed bumps on roads are low enough that I can take at ~20 mph. The ones in parking lots are higher so I either crawl over them at 4 mph or find a way around them, but everything so far I've been able to clear straight on. Don't know how true that would be if I were lowered at all. Most driveways are manageable and there's generally street parking most places if I don't want to deal with it. Only found one driveway so far that is near impossible to get down without scraping and it's so bad ordinary sedans will scrape if they're not careful.

So it's not too much trouble so far and for now I think it's worth it to be able to make the car look the way I want it to, but if I were just tearing up the lip constantly with my daily driving I wouldn't keep it on.

Also depending which lip you're looking at might be easier to deal with than the APR. I think APR's is longer and lower than some.
Yeah I guess it would depend on where I live and where I take my car. I'm most likely going to do everything else (18 inch wheels, lip, side skirts etc.) and then look into lowering just to feel everything out. I was actually looking into the APR lip. Do you have any pictures of yours? Thanks
Old 11-08-2018, 02:24 AM   #28
Brink

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will BRZ View Post
Yeah I guess it would depend on where I live and where I take my car. I'm most likely going to do everything else (18 inch wheels, lip, side skirts etc.) and then look into lowering just to feel everything out. I was actually looking into the APR lip. Do you have any pictures of yours? Thanks

Here's what I have at the moment, without going out to take pictures specifically of the lip.
Attached Images

Brink is offline   Reply With Quote