follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 04-05-2019, 11:18 AM   #617
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It may be a good idea if the registry thread had the title edited so the word "registry" is first. Currently both the threads start with the same words so the abbreviated titles in the index are the same. Anybody that doesn't check the full title after clicking into the tread can very easily think they are in the wrong one. The way it is set up creates confusion.
The way that the forum handled having posts moved from one thread to the new one effectively removed my ability to update the title of the discussion thread. I updated the registry one though. Good thinking.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-05-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 11:44 AM   #618
Gunman

Drives: 2019 Mazda Miata RF
Thanked 1,317 Times in 736 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Hmmm, Subaru's are technically under the WTY-84 recall, so maybe we need a new thread for those?

I kid, I kid...
Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 11:49 AM   #619
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Car definitely misfired or something on the way to work this morning.. it cleaned up a moment later and drove like normal.. I would like to think it was just the car sneezing on 6 year high pollen this morning in ATL.
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:25 PM   #620
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,522 Times in 18,923 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
The way that the forum handled having posts moved from one thread to the new one effectively removed my ability to update the title of the discussion thread. I updated the registry one though. Good thinking.
I think there's a limit on thread title changes. I've run into that messing with RT.
Old 04-05-2019, 05:19 PM   #621
c.klingner

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hello there, 13 BRZ checking in, figured I’d join the conversation. The dealership has currently had my car since 18 Feb. after I started getting a metal on metal tapping noise coming from my engine just over 700 miles after the recall. They have been troubleshooting for almost 2 full months now and still have no idea what the problem is. They have required me to give them all the stock parts since I have a aftermarket intake and a catback exhaust. My car is all back to stock and they have supposedly checked all their work and are certain the failure has nothing to do with the recall, this despite the fact they openly admitted to finding 3-4 of my valves loose and the valve lash settings being incorrect. They are checking everything they can without actually opening the engine again. They have replaced my catalytic converter, re-did the valve lash and tightened the valves, checked the injectors, reinstalled all the stock components, and still have not figured out what the isssue is. Contacted SOA and they are saying my car is out of warranty, heavily modified, and the dealership is saying they have already checked their work so I will most likely be responsible for repairs from this point going forward. Will continue updating things as they tell me.
c.klingner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:57 PM   #622
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,825 Times in 16,428 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.klingner View Post
Hello there, 13 BRZ checking in, figured I’d join the conversation.
Bummer -

So, what is (was) the car doing when it is (was) running?

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:11 PM   #623
Gunman

Garage
Heard rumor that Toyota bought up all the BRZ/FRS/86 complete FA20 engines in the states. Anyone with a Subaru, would have to wait for one from Japan.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:25 PM   #624
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,522 Times in 18,923 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
ship overnight
Old 04-05-2019, 07:26 PM   #625
ybotspawn

Drives: 13 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
ship overnight
Get Toretto on it.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
ybotspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ybotspawn For This Useful Post:
Gunman (04-05-2019), Teseo (04-05-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 07:33 PM   #626
j3rf

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.klingner View Post
Hello there, 13 BRZ checking in, figured I’d join the conversation. The dealership has currently had my car since 18 Feb. after I started getting a metal on metal tapping noise coming from my engine just over 700 miles after the recall. They have been troubleshooting for almost 2 full months now and still have no idea what the problem is. They have required me to give them all the stock parts since I have a aftermarket intake and a catback exhaust. My car is all back to stock and they have supposedly checked all their work and are certain the failure has nothing to do with the recall, this despite the fact they openly admitted to finding 3-4 of my valves loose and the valve lash settings being incorrect. They are checking everything they can without actually opening the engine again. They have replaced my catalytic converter, re-did the valve lash and tightened the valves, checked the injectors, reinstalled all the stock components, and still have not figured out what the isssue is. Contacted SOA and they are saying my car is out of warranty, heavily modified, and the dealership is saying they have already checked their work so I will most likely be responsible for repairs from this point going forward. Will continue updating things as they tell me.
Wow, now an intake and exhaust is heavily modified? Yikes.

j3rf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:43 PM   #627
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3rf View Post
Wow, now an intake and exhaust is heavily modified? Yikes.
"Q7: My vehicle has been modified with aftermarket (non-factory) components and my dealer says I should remove the modifications before the Safety Recall can be performed; is there anything I can do about this?

A7: Some vehicles may be equipped with non-Toyota-approved parts and/or accessories that make it difficult or impossible for a dealer to install the remedy parts for this Safety Recall. Toyota does not recommend modifying vehicles and cannot evaluate how any aftermarket, non-Toyota-approved parts could affect a vehicle’s operation. That is why it is best to restore your vehicle to its original condition prior to the remedy being performed. Notwithstanding Toyota’s recommendation, some dealers may be willing to perform the Safety Recall remedy with the vehicle in its current modified condition. If your dealer is willing to do so, you may be charged for labor or parts costs not otherwise covered by Toyota's Safety Recall remedy. Toyota provides the specific remedy parts kit, necessary engine fluids and sealant, and covers 12.2 – 13.8 hours (depending upon vehicle configuration) of dealer labor expenses. You must pay any additional charges for parts or labor by the dealer which are the result of the vehicle’s non-Toyota-approved modifications. Toyota is not responsible for later performance problems your vehicle may have that are the result of the nonToyota-approved vehicle modifications."

They know these cars are modified. They have warned everyone, you bring in a modified car and this whole things goes south, it's on you. I added the bold.

Don't take a modified car to the dealer. I thought that was car warranty 101?
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maslin For This Useful Post:
pinoy_dorifto (04-06-2019), Tcoat (04-05-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 07:54 PM   #628
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
"Q7: My vehicle has been modified with aftermarket (non-factory) components and my dealer says I should remove the modifications before the Safety Recall can be performed; is there anything I can do about this?

A7: Some vehicles may be equipped with non-Toyota-approved parts and/or accessories that make it difficult or impossible for a dealer to install the remedy parts for this Safety Recall. Toyota does not recommend modifying vehicles and cannot evaluate how any aftermarket, non-Toyota-approved parts could affect a vehicle’s operation. That is why it is best to restore your vehicle to its original condition prior to the remedy being performed. Notwithstanding Toyota’s recommendation, some dealers may be willing to perform the Safety Recall remedy with the vehicle in its current modified condition. If your dealer is willing to do so, you may be charged for labor or parts costs not otherwise covered by Toyota's Safety Recall remedy. Toyota provides the specific remedy parts kit, necessary engine fluids and sealant, and covers 12.2 – 13.8 hours (depending upon vehicle configuration) of dealer labor expenses. You must pay any additional charges for parts or labor by the dealer which are the result of the vehicle’s non-Toyota-approved modifications. Toyota is not responsible for later performance problems your vehicle may have that are the result of the nonToyota-approved vehicle modifications."

They know these cars are modified. They have warned everyone, you bring in a modified car and this whole things goes south, it's on you. I added the bold.

My dealership is "mods friendly" with basic bolts ons. As long you don't have FI they can do the job with ease. A dealership who considered a header and inlet hose as "heavily modified" should perform tire rotation only
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:03 PM   #629
Gunman

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
Totally depends on your dealer, and in some cases customer attitude. I had a piston come apart on my 1988 Ford Ranger, and the engine had clearly been pulled out of the truck prior to this. Dealer never batted an eye, and it was covered under the warranty. They even let me take the engine when it was reassembled, to get repainted, and then installed. The best time, was when I had to explain how to open the suicide doors, but that's another story.

My Subaru dealer hasn't said anything about the mods I have done, granted I have not touched the engine, other than removing the sound tube, and putting in a K&N filter.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Gunman For This Useful Post:
maslin (04-05-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 10:18 PM   #630
j3rf

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Sounds like just an unfortunate coincidence. Intake and exhaust are pretty inconsequential as far as causing issues, but that's just my experience. I do understand dealers have to cover their ass though.

j3rf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz, failure, frs, i cant even, j02, recall, so much glue