follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 11-15-2014, 12:46 AM   #7869
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwbright View Post
I have the cable for the OFT connected to the port but nothing is connected to the cable. Can that create a draw?
no
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:19 AM   #7870
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TM View Post
My battery couldn't start the car for the first time. I have the system installed for about 7 months now.

It was 65 degrees two days ago, drove fine to and from work. 35 degrees yesterday, didn't really drive that much - only to pick up take out (down the block) and to the gym (~5 miles each way), cranked fine.

This morning, I couldn't start the car. Around ~27-29 degrees. The battery had enough juice to lock/unlock the car and turn on all the electronics. It would only crank once or twice and then die. After several more attempts, it wouldn't crank at all. I turned off the heater/AC, seat warmer, ESC, and anything else with an off button; still wouldn't crank. Had to ask my buddy come and jump my car - started up fine instantly after attaching the jumper cables.

My car barely had enough power to start the other day. And the temperature was about 70 degrees. The problem was the trunk was agar overnight. Almost drained the battery completely.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:43 AM   #7871
Gary in NJ

Drives: WR Blue BRZ, 240Z
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
My battery couldn't start the car for the first time. I have the system installed for about 7 months now.
I've had no trouble starting my car in the last few weeks where morning temps are in the upper 20's and lower 30's. And my batteries are over a year old now.

Suggestions, turn off accessories prior to shutting down the car. You'd be surprised how much current the HVAC blower and amps draw. Also, if you have automatic headlights, make sure they don't come on before starting the engine. Make sure that the ESC is not armed prior to start. These small steps could be the difference between starting and not.

I haven't needed to do any of the above and I get good starts. This makes me think that you might have some type of parasitic loss.

Gary in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:00 AM   #7872
WNDSRFR

While we're on the subject of batteries:
First I was wondering if anyone has replaced their dump pack yet. How about you Fenton? I think you've had the ESC the longest. Are you still using the original dump pack? I know batteries don't last forever.

My other question is: Has anyone been on the Phantom website lately? Rob has one of the dump batteries listed as a Big Crank ETX18L. It costs $92.95.
What is this? That's not the kind of batteries I have. Is it better than the old one? It better be, it costs a lot more.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:09 AM   #7873
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
First I was wondering if anyone has replaced their dump pack yet. How about you Fenton? I think you've had the ESC the longest. Are you still using the original dump pack? I know batteries don't last forever.

My other question is: Has anyone been on the Phantom website lately? Rob has one of the dump batteries listed as a Big Crank ETX18L. It costs $92.95.
What is this? That's not the kind of batteries I have. Is it better than the old one? It better be, it costs a lot more.

Secret project maybe?

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (11-15-2014)
Old 11-15-2014, 12:29 PM   #7874
jwvand02

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

It was 65 degrees two days ago, drove fine to and from work. 35 degrees yesterday, didn't really drive that much - only to pick up take out (down the block) and to the gym (~5 miles each way), cranked fine.

This morning, I couldn't start the car. Around ~27-29 degrees. The battery had enough juice to lock/unlock the car and turn on all the electronics. It would only crank once or twice and then die. After several more attempts, it wouldn't crank at all. I turned off the heater/AC, seat warmer, ESC, and anything else with an off button; still wouldn't crank. Had to ask my buddy come and jump my car - started up fine instantly after attaching the jumper cables.
I had the same problem yeaterday. It was about 25F and it only turned over once or twice.

I had all the electrical stuff on, will make sure I turn it off and check the posts too.
jwvand02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:42 AM   #7875
WNDSRFR

I had a compressor stall this morning. Only the second time it's ever happened to me but it gets your attention. My timing was off at this yield sign and I had to brake to yield to a car then I immediately stepped on the gas in second gear at about 1000 RPM and the car stalled. DON'T DO THIS!
It could potentially be very bad for the motor.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:31 AM   #7876
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post

More news on those batteries soon

I'm still running the standard 1.5 and they are still in perfect condition. These batteries can handle a lot of cycles.
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fenton For This Useful Post:
WNDSRFR (11-16-2014)
Old 11-16-2014, 10:40 AM   #7877
predator800

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Sorry if this a stupid question but would anything bad happen if you hit the rev limiter during full boost? Reason I'm asking is this car will be driven by the whole family. When kids drive sh** happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
predator800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:46 AM   #7878
fenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator800 View Post
Sorry if this a stupid question but would anything bad happen if you hit the rev limiter during full boost? Reason I'm asking is this car will be driven by the whole family. When kids drive sh** happens.

Not as far as damage to the compressor. When the car hits redline the throttle body will open and shut... During this time if you are boosting the compressor will surge against the closed throttle body. The compressor has no problem handling this but the car doesn't like it.... It can almost feel like a stall. Same basic thing happens if you get side ways with boost while traction control is on.

Both have happened to me multiple time and everything is fine.... It's just not the nicest feeling.

If your wondering... the car will go rich during this time.... The maf meters the boosted air but not all that air gets into the combustion cycle.
The Following User Says Thank You to fenton For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (11-17-2014)
Old 11-16-2014, 10:48 AM   #7879
fenton

Quote:

PS....you must be a nice dad if you let your kids drive your sports car
Old 11-16-2014, 11:04 AM   #7880
predator800

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Thanks for the reply. Kind of hard to say no to a $30 000 dollar car when they ride my $22 000 dollar sled. I would have said no to my older two kids that are grown up now. The younger two are much more responsible. You'll see when yours is a young adult, you may have a change of heart. They grow up fast.

predator800 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to predator800 For This Useful Post:
fenton (11-16-2014)
Old 11-16-2014, 11:17 AM   #7881
fenton

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Kind of hard to say no to a $30 000 dollar car when they ride my $22 000 dollar sled. I would have said no to my older two kids that are grown up now. The younger two are much more responsible. You'll see when yours is a young adult, you may have a change of heart. They grow up fast.

I can totally understand that. Its like I'm in a time warp and mine is only 6months.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:11 PM   #7882
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
Not as far as damage to the compressor. When the car hits redline the throttle body will open and shut... During this time if you are boosting the compressor will surge against the closed throttle body. The compressor has no problem handling this but the car doesn't like it.... It can almost feel like a stall. Same basic thing happens if you get side ways with boost while traction control is on.

Both have happened to me multiple time and everything is fine.... It's just not the nicest feeling.

If your wondering... the car will go rich during this time.... The maf meters the boosted air but not all that air gets into the combustion cycle.
was kind of curious about this in the form of FFS. It is currently set too high for me right now, but when I tried it, (besides bouncing off the limiter at 6500, it really helps the performance of the ESC without that whole "off switch slow down, on switch spool up cycle" between each gear, especially if running to redline where spool up takes almost 1k revs of the ~5k to 7k power band.

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive