follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 11-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
project d

Drives: 2013 BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Winter Driving?

Just wondering how many people here are planning on winter driving (daily driving) their 86/BRZs?

For those who are, what winter setup are you planning to run (suspension, tires, brakes, chassis reinforcement, mud guards, weight distribution, etc…) ?

Last year I only had OEM size Hankook W409s all around
Normal mode (90% of the time)
Sport mode (10% of the time - just to have some fun)

* I find that taking all systems off results in almost NO grip to even drive straight Lol

Would be cool to find a LEGAL place to practice driving in the snow (e.g.. Parking lots) and not get any tickets or hassle from the Police
project d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
i drove my FRS all through all of last winter.. even the big snowstorms.

winter tires

don't bother with sport mode, esp during big snowstorms, turn the nannies off and stay frosty

you can get lots of practice in sleepy neighborhoods past midnight.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
mabviper

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'm going to be driving my car through the winter. I just picked up Blizzaks WS70s. Might also put some weights at the back since the tires feel kinda weird in the dry/rain. I'm also looking to pick up rally armor and JDM panels for additional protection.
mabviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:48 PM   #4
jermyzy

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post

winter tires

don't bother with sport mode, esp during big snowstorms, turn the nannies off and stay frosty

This is my first winter driving a RWD, bought a set of Michelin x-ice xi3s. Is there a reason why we should turn the nannies off? I would have thought it'd be better to keep them on?
jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:56 PM   #5
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermyzy View Post
This is my first winter driving a RWD, bought a set of Michelin x-ice xi3s. Is there a reason why we should turn the nannies off? I would have thought it'd be better to keep them on?

if you leave the nannies on they will keep you safe.. but they won't let you drive the car

remember that traction control limits your throttle imput.. it won't let you spin the tires

and VCS starts playing with the brakes to control slides, so when you start to slide it stops it right when you instinctivly begin to counter-street and throttle correct

sometimes you need to slide and slip just a little bit to gain traction (and have a little fun)

in the worst snow storms if you leave them ON you're not gonna be going anywhere... i got stuck on a hill last winter and had to hammer down in 5th gear until the car hooked up, and i inched my way up until it found more grip... with traction control i would not have went anywhere. period, it would have limited my slip to a point where i just didn't have the momentum to pull myself otu.

then a few blocks after that i got stuck in a rut that had car slightly sideways, the front wheels were on a different plane from the rears.. what do you think VCS woudl have done there.. i litereally drove 1 full block while sideways cuz of the ruts... i got a bunch of thumbs up from some dudes.. but i was shitting bricks...

anyway, turn all that shit off and just drive the damn thing... but be very, very, very respectful of the road.
Suberman (11-07-2013), TorontoNat (08-09-2017)
Old 11-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #6
Deadspool
Much title. Wow.

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport-Tech
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
The nannies kept me from getting out of my driveway last winter. it limits rpm.

Once I turned them off, i rocked out and rocked on.
Deadspool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #7
Kazuya

Drives: Takumi
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Now you guys are making me scared of winter with my 86.

I used to speed and drift on a Sentra too
Kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #8
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post

winter tires

rofl you just told me to pray and slow down in other thread. now you telling this guy to turn off TC and have fun in neighborhoods at night

ZionsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZionsWrath For This Useful Post:
ftc~brz (01-10-2014)
Old 11-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #9
kALMIGHTY
Banned

Drives: TRD Ultramarine '13
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
My first experience with RWD and a manual and all of that together in the winter with less than 3 months of experience driving this car? I must be crazy!
Lol but no, I put on Blizzaks WS70's on the stock wheels and the car is pretty amazing on snow and ice. The steering isn't quite as sharp and feels a little lighter than it did on the stock wheels, but it's sharper than other cars I've driven.
You shouldn't worry too much. Just be careful and have some fun.
The only winterizing I did to the car was plastidipping the stock wheels so they don't get too beat up over the winter. My car already came with an undercoating and soundproofing and I'm just using the OEM mudguards. Might switch to Rally Armors one day but so far no problems.
kALMIGHTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:50 PM   #10
Tessball

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
One forum I read I should be able to plow through snow no problem (with the right tires). And then I see stuck on driveway, hill. Won't move with nannies on, will slide out with them off. Well winter should be interesting... thanks for the tips wouldn't have thought taking traction off would helpful.
Tessball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:58 PM   #11
Tessball

Quote:
Originally Posted by kALMIGHTY View Post
The only winterizing I did to the car was plastidipping the stock wheels so they don't get too beat up over the winter. My car already came with an undercoating and soundproofing and I'm just using the OEM mudguards. Might switch to Rally Armors one day but so far no problems.
I'm gonna sound clueless.. but does the plastidipping spray on? Did u do it while the tires were on your car? Put michelin x-ice2s on the stock rims. Not a bad idea to protect them.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #12
klassick

Drives: Hot Lava Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Picked my car up the last week of February last year and decided to not grab winter tires since March was around the corner. Then we got hit by that huge snow storm and I was stuck running stock tires, I got stuck on the road twice during that storm.

Learned my lesson this year, grabbed some Blizzak WS70s and some Weather Techs hopefully i'll be well prepared.
klassick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #13
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessball View Post
One forum I read I should be able to plow through snow no problem (with the right tires). And then I see stuck on driveway, hill. Won't move with nannies on, will slide out with them off. Well winter should be interesting... thanks for the tips wouldn't have thought taking traction off would helpful.
At the end of the day it is drive limited. A steep enough incline on a slick enough surface WILL defeat any snow tire (e.g. ice, etc.). Equipped with snow tires and ~100-150lbs of ballast I had no problem negotiating several inches of snow on the highway and backroads. The car will not just slide out for no reason, you need to be insensitive/sudden with the throttle or steering in order to that. Very predictable.

When I got home, I slid down my driveway about 15 times before finally sticking it.

But MD is very different from Calgary.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #14
Tessball

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarshipPoopers View Post
It just sprays on like spray paint. Make sure you clean the wheels well first and then have the can warm and well shaken or it'll clot and blow chunks.

You can do it while they're on your car if you want, just make sure you cover off the area around the tires well and cover up the backside so that you don't spray it all over your rotors.

Honestly though I would take the effort to remove the wheels from your car and go that route.
Thanks! Kinda a shame to cover the stocks really like the look but makes sense. Gonna search for bright red.

OrbitalEllipses
Quote:
When i got home, I slid down the driveway about 15 times before finally sticking it.
lol that makes me feel much better...
I've driven Rwd before not super worried about traction more worried about getting stuck in the snow. The cars low clearance is my main concern. Oo well.. I bought it knowing that ill probably be shoveling myself out of the back alley a couple times.

Tags
7thgear rulz, kryptonite allergy, suberman cant drive