follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-06-2012, 08:24 AM   #1
Vr4gasmtt

Drives: 05 EVO VIII RS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What are the chances of getting an ft86 without preorder?

I'm in need of a car now and might just take the plunge and get some beater car or a cheap bike. Am wondering if I don't preorder the car what are the chances I'll be able to get one come summer this year? I'm sure theyll be limited amounts right? How many are being shipped this summer to the US?

I don't feel like preorder unless I test drive the car, just because some magazine or some people are being endorsed to say its a nice car, I'd like to see for myself. I believe there were big reviews for the Hyundai genesis when it first came out and now I don't hear anything much about it now, if anything there's much negative comments towards it. (as in real customer/owners and not " i test drive cars" kind of people).
Vr4gasmtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #2
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Preorder on contingent that you test drive before signing for it. /thread
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
MiguelAE86

Drives: NB Miata
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I want to know this as well! (i don't plan on getting it on release month/day) I want to test-drive the car first, but i'm afraid i'll have to wait a month or two after release, what are these chances? Anyone have any experience on waiting for a brand new car without pre-ordering?

I was called by my Local Scion Dealership not too long ago if i wanted to place that refundable $1000 deposit to secure me a car, but i kindly turned down the offer because i wanted to see the car in person, etc. but anyway, thanks to anyone who helps [us] out!
MiguelAE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #4
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
$1000 deposit is crazy expensive! Most places I have seen it was $250 or $500 at most.
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #5
Longhorn248
Hook 'em

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
Preorder on contingent that you test drive before signing for it. /thread
+1

Once we get official pricing from Subaru I'll be getting in contact with one of the dealers I've already chatted with and letting them know what trim and car I want and put down a deposit. I'll be sure that the test drive is a requirement for purchase and I would expect the amount to be around $500.
Longhorn248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
czar07

Drives: '97 RSP JZZ30 GT-T
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
shouldnt matter, they want this car to be in production for 5-10 years, so they will definitely sell you one, you might just have to wait a few months for delivery
czar07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
miata

Drives: 2006 Miata 5 spd
It is refundable. Aren't you going to put down at least 1000 dollars anyway if you decide to buy? It's not like you will make $50 from investing $1000 until June.
miata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #8
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Garage
I have ordered my last 3 cars and the deposit was always refundable and it was always $500 or less. I have done it a check and or credit card. Using the check they never cashed it until I pickup the car.

I have never done business with Scion or Subaru, so we will see how they do it.
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #9
A Gomez

Drives: Celica
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Here is what I heard from a Scion sales guy. If you want to be one of the first guys ever to get an FR-S, without pre-ordering one, you have no chance. In fact, it is most likely you will have to BUY one without even seeing and test driving it. What he said is each dealer would get an allocation of 1 or 2 in June when it is launched, but the allocation could be taken away to fulfill BUY orders at other dealers. There WILL be those who buy (not just pre-order) without even seeing the cars.

However, if your goal is to just get one by summer, don't sweat. Just pre-order with a reasonable and fully refundable deposit. I am guessing you won't see very many of these cars at dealers lots at leat for the first few months, so I think pre-ordering one is a sure way to go, although you may not have to do it, but you never know. Just pre-ordering is a fairly low risk approach.

Last edited by A Gomez; 01-06-2012 at 11:29 AM.
A Gomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #10
miata

Drives: 2006 Miata 5 spd
That makes sense. But only one or two per dealer on the first shipment?!
miata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:31 AM   #11
A Gomez

Drives: Celica
Quote:
Originally Posted by miata View Post
Yes, that's what he told me, but I have been to only one Scion dealer and talked with one guy who seemed knowledgeable about this car.
A Gomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #12
Longhorn248
Hook 'em

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Gomez View Post
Here is what I heard from a Scion sales guy. If you want to be one of the first guys ever to get an FR-S, without pre-ordering one, you have no chance. In fact, it is most likely you will have to BUY one without even seeing and test driving it. What he said is each dealer would get an allocation of 1 or 2 in June when it is launched, but the allocation could be taken away to fulfill BUY orders at other dealers. There WILL be those who buy (not just pre-order) without even seeing the cars.

However, if your goal is to just get one by summer, don't sweat. Just pre-order with a reasonable and fully refundable deposit. I am guessing you won't see very many of these cars at dealers lots at leat for the first few months, so I think pre-ordering one is a sure way to go, although you may not have to do it, but you never know. Just pre-ordering is a fairly low risk approach.
I'm calling Not on you, but on the sales guy. I'm about 98% confident that you can get one of these cars with the stipulation of a test drive. To think that you're going to show up at the dealer and they won't let you drive it before handing over your money sounds a bit crazy to me. I want one of the first cars, and am willing to put down money to reserve one, but to buy it without driving it would be a deal breaker for me.
Longhorn248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #13
Infernal
NO FI?! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: BMW e92 330D
Quote:
Originally Posted by miata View Post
thats roughly what a UK dealer told me - up to 3/4 a month
Old 01-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #14
czar07

Drives: '97 RSP JZZ30 GT-T
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn248 View Post
I'm calling Not on you, but on the sales guy. I'm about 98% confident that you can get one of these cars with the stipulation of a test drive. To think that you're going to show up at the dealer and they won't let you drive it before handing over your money sounds a bit crazy to me. I want one of the first cars, and am willing to put down money to reserve one, but to buy it without driving it would be a deal breaker for me.
Its not that they wont let you test drive one, they wont have any cars "in stock" by the time the demo model rocks up for you to test drive.
czar07 is offline   Reply With Quote