follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 07-17-2015, 09:58 AM   #337
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GsxrMe View Post

I really don't understand on how to build a safe and street boosted car for a target price of $5000+/-.
It all depends on what you want from your car.
JRSC + oil cooler comes in at 5k ( without tune).
Maybe throw in some catch cans. Nothing else I can think of right now that will significantly increase safety at that power level.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:30 PM   #338
geolit

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Have you guys heard of the Crawford Plus 100 kit? As the name suggests, it adds around 100+ whp to the car and was created to be used with a stock car. Apparently it is very good, and the curve looks nice as well. Haven't seen it irl tho. Please lmk if you've had experience with it.

Here's a link: http://crawfordperformance.com/produ...100-turbo-kit/
geolit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:47 PM   #339
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geolit View Post
Have you guys heard of the Crawford Plus 100 kit? As the name suggests, it adds around 100+ whp to the car and was created to be used with a stock car. Apparently it is very good, and the curve looks nice as well. Haven't seen it irl tho. Please lmk if you've had experience with it.

NO! DON'T!

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:59 PM   #340
GsxrMe

Drives: Late 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geolit View Post

hm... no intercooler
FBM Turbokit: GTX3076R - ECUTEK HRI FlexFuel tune - FBM 3" Turboback Exhaust - 550cc Injectors - Walbro 485 Fuel Pump - 4bar Map Sensor - FBM Oil Pan - ACT SB7-XTSS - AMSOIL all fluids - Forester XT Oil Cooler - Cusco engine, trans mounts - Whiteline rear differential bushings - Perrin shifter bushing - Firehawk 235/45/17 - AEM Failsafe
GsxrMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 01:28 PM   #341
86 South Africa
POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drives: White Toyota 86 (Scion FRs)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1086 View Post
I am also hoping this will help others with similar/like-minded goals as I imagine most people want between 250 whp and 300 whp give or take for a daily driver type build.

Yup. That's my goal too. Safe, reliable power. 300whp would be nice but anything from 250+ will suite my needs!
I'm budgeting around $7000 though.
86 South Africa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 02:49 PM   #342
86 South Africa
POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drives: White Toyota 86 (Scion FRs)
Garage
[QUOTE=CSG Mike;1486209]My vote is still supercharger. It's simple and sustainable.]
@CSGMike

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the edelbrock unit that's just come out.
I was looking at SC's then thought maybe a turbo, but keep going back to a SC because of the simplicity. There's a dealer here who's established and they have a good base tune. I love the look and finish of this kit too, looks quality!

In terms of this thread it costs around $6600 fully installed + their tune. We get nailed 20% import duties

(Also, living in South Africa means I have many more limitations of choice compared to the US/UK.)

Last edited by 86 South Africa; 10-25-2015 at 03:39 PM.
86 South Africa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86 South Africa For This Useful Post:
CxG (10-28-2015)
Old 10-28-2015, 05:17 PM   #343
CxG

Drives: Pearl White '13 ZN6
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Anybody have thoughts and opinions on that HKS V3 kit? 4300 tuned 8psi If you install yourself. Only thing i could think to add to it are oil cooler and gauges.
CxG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:11 PM   #344
learnerspermit

Drives: C-17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by CxG View Post
Anybody have thoughts and opinions on that HKS V3 kit? 4300 tuned 8psi If you install yourself. Only thing i could think to add to it are oil cooler and gauges.
This is the route I plan to go this winter. Say what you want like many other manufactures the kit has a solid name to back it up. Priced well.. Pre programmed tunes for us that plan to DIY Im not searching for every HP either. Im going to skip the gauges because if I'm not mistaken the box you flash your ecu with can be plugged in to the car and display different parameters while you drive in lieu of gauges. Seems like another budget score
learnerspermit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to learnerspermit For This Useful Post:
CxG (10-28-2015)
Old 10-28-2015, 09:49 PM   #345
CxG

Drives: Pearl White '13 ZN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by learnerspermit View Post
This is the route I plan to go this winter. Say what you want like many other manufactures the kit has a solid name to back it up. Priced well.. Pre programmed tunes for us that plan to DIY Im not searching for every HP either. Im going to skip the gauges because if I'm not mistaken the box you flash your ecu with can be plugged in to the car and display different parameters while you drive in lieu of gauges. Seems like another budget score
nice, I have a cafi i'll be hooking up soon but it says torque doesn't work with it just yet which is why i ask on gauges. I do like all the budget scores it comes with leaves more money to go flex fuel down the road.

Know if this set up will be reliable enough to daily and with occasional track beatings? it's the only thing preventing me from going all in and committing
CxG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 03:29 AM   #346
wise345
Slow I am, boost I must..

Drives: Whiteout 2013 FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CxG View Post
nice, I have a cafi i'll be hooking up soon but it says torque doesn't work with it just yet which is why i ask on gauges. I do like all the budget scores it comes with leaves more money to go flex fuel down the road.

Know if this set up will be reliable enough to daily and with occasional track beatings? it's the only thing preventing me from going all in and committing
sorry for super late response, i haven't seen any proof the HKS kit will be reliable but HKS is about as reputable a tuning company as there is, wouldn't worry about reliability when its hks made
wise345 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wise345 For This Useful Post:
CxG (01-03-2016)
Old 01-02-2016, 12:30 PM   #347
Jayela

Drives: 2013 Nissan GT-R, 1985 Porsche 944
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wise345 View Post
sorry for super late response, i haven't seen any proof the HKS kit will be reliable but HKS is about as reputable a tuning company as there is, wouldn't worry about reliability when its hks made
HKS is very reputable, but in my opinion none of the tuners for our twins exceed Cosworth's reputation, that's the route i'm planning to go.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:34 AM   #348
JadeBRZ
#ProjectBRZ

Drives: SWP BRZ
Garage
I have had the HKS V3 for a week. Its on the 91 tune now, but will be mailing the flash editor to HKS for the 93 tune this week. Right now its about 280hp to the crank, 250 whp. After tune they say 270 whp, about 310 crank. As long as you drive and shift around 3000 rpm, It drives like its stock. But performs very nicely above that. Perfection

Kit with flash Editor: $3850
Install: $800
Spark Plugs: $120
Tax (8%): $381.60

I did the clutch myself the week before only because my throwout bearing was destroyed.
ACT street lite clutch flywheel $600
Whiteline trans bushing
Perrin shifter bushing
Motul transmission oil
Throw out bearing clips
starter bolt
JadeBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JadeBRZ For This Useful Post:
CxG (02-29-2016)
Old 05-05-2016, 10:11 PM   #349
Amputechture

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Still waiting on arrival of a JDL kit but this covers my expenses so far, give or take a few dollars due to bad memory;

-JDL Auto Design Single Scroll Equal length manifold base PTE turbo kit :$3199 (on sale due to tax season by the way, typically $4k)
-Innovate LC-2 Wideband w/ gauge :$199.00
-Prosport Mechanical Boost gauge :$45.00
-Prosport Oil Pressure gauge :$85.00
-Daisy Chain for gauges: $15.00
-Glowshift A pillar pod: $40.00
-Adapter plug for oil galley :$12.00
-Infamous Performance EBCS :$110.00
-DEI Titanium turbo blanket: $130.00
-DEI Exhaust wrap: $40.00
-Ecutek cable and dongle: Found used for $275.00
-Ecutek license: Yet to purchase, planning on obtaining from Visconti tuning as it seems to be the lowest priced at $300. I know this guy has a shady track record...on that note has anyone had any issues purchasing and receiving a software license from him?
-Delicious Flash and Go: $375.00. This is to get up and running...I plan on eventually getting tuned locally by HRI (James Martin).
-Crawford AOS: found used for $220.00.
-Pre-tapped oil pan: $150.00

Rough Total: $5,200 plus various shipping costs. Once this motherfucker finally arrives (10 weeks now they've had my money) and my car is on jack stands there will undoubtedly be other things that arise and little here and theres will need to be acquired (hoses, clamps, zip ties, tools etc.) Driveability and reliability are of the utmost importance to me and will take precedence over squeezing more power out. This is my daily so it absolutely has to be solid, that being said I will be monitoring temps to determine what action needs to be taken if need be. I don't clutch kick, launch the car, or have a very aggressive driving style so I am hoping my factory clutch can last throughout 2016.
Amputechture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 12:02 PM   #350
Coheed

Drives: DGM BRZ Limited
There are only 3-4 kits that are favorable to me from the budget and engineering point. As each kit has been released, I've looked for engineering weak points and potential problem areas. If you want this kit to be reliable for years to come, this is something worth considering and factoring into the cost of the system.

HKS V3 kit looks great. It doesn't require a specialized belt, and the pipe routing seems slightly more ideal than the JR kit. Aesthetically, the intercooler layout isn't quite conventional, and this asymmetrical style may turn off some. Though some reliability issues have cropped up with the blower assembly, I would hope these are a small percentage of total units sold.

Cosworth SC is great. It should be super reliable, but their kits are sold in stages that don't seem to be cost-conscious. Engineering is top notch, though I don't like the rearward relocation of the TB.

My favorite kit is the Edelbrock kit. Though weight is the biggest drawback imho. This unit is big and heavy. But the setup seems to have the best engineering, doesn't need expensive traction fluid, has little maintenance, provides higher power gains than the Cosworth and Sprintex (from what little I've seen), and should be easily 100k miles reliable. You can retain the factory exhaust manifold for emissions purposes, but make even more power should you decide on aftermarket parts.

Overall, the Edelbrock kit seems to realistically be within most people's budgets, while giving solid gains and low maintenance. Turbo kits will make more power, but as people push these cars more and more, those transmissions will start showing their weaknesses, and that's something to factor into consideration as well. Just my .02.
Coheed is offline   Reply With Quote