follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 11-17-2020, 07:00 PM   #43
anticubus

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota. View Post
Terminals are snug brother. So odd I get power to the dash, but absolutely nowhere else.
But that's not true! Earlier on you mentioned the starter was clicking which means that you're getting power to the dash and the starter circuits which is better than only one or none of them.

Real quick, here's the wiring diagram: https://www.ft86club.com/files/BRZwiringi.pdf

If you're just getting clicks then there's clearly not enough juice going to the starter. I saw you were gonna check the starter from an earlier recommendation, that's the best place to start.

Next, Is there any wiring in there that looks off? I know you said stock, but if it's used it may have been returned to stock for sale. I'd start looking for some spare sub amp wires in the trunk, or splices on the harness. If someone did audio upgrades incorrectly, then left some things out of place after going back to stock it's not impossible that things shifted around. I'd also check on every fuse for both amperage and continuity.

Beyond that, it's possible something on the ignition circuit has gone awry, but again you've got clicks but not a turning engine. Best I can come up with for that is an immobilizer issue.

I guess maybe something could have frozen up in the block. If that's the problem we're waaaaay outside the ballpark, around the corner into the alley, and behind a dumpster for how unlikely it is.
anticubus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to anticubus For This Useful Post:
Toyota. (11-17-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 07:12 PM   #44
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anticubus View Post
But that's not true! Earlier on you mentioned the starter was clicking which means that you're getting power to the dash and the starter circuits which is better than only one or none of them.

Real quick, here's the wiring diagram: https://www.ft86club.com/files/BRZwiringi.pdf

If you're just getting clicks then there's clearly not enough juice going to the starter. I saw you were gonna check the starter from an earlier recommendation, that's the best place to start.

Next, Is there any wiring in there that looks off? I know you said stock, but if it's used it may have been returned to stock for sale. I'd start looking for some spare sub amp wires in the trunk, or splices on the harness. If someone did audio upgrades incorrectly, then left some things out of place after going back to stock it's not impossible that things shifted around. I'd also check on every fuse for both amperage and continuity.

Beyond that, it's possible something on the ignition circuit has gone awry, but again you've got clicks but not a turning engine. Best I can come up with for that is an immobilizer issue.

I guess maybe something could have frozen up in the block. If that's the problem we're waaaaay outside the ballpark, around the corner into the alley, and behind a dumpster for how unlikely it is.
If it's the immobiliser then it won't click

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
Toyota. (11-17-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 07:19 PM   #45
Turdinator
Seņor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Good points made here.

Another thing is, could you post some photos of the wiring around your battery and starter motor? Perhaps something will jump out to one of us as not quite right.
The Following User Says Thank You to Turdinator For This Useful Post:
Toyota. (11-17-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 07:47 PM   #46
Toyota.

Drives: (2017) Toyota 86 / 860 / Halo White
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

May have been mistaken with saying it clicks. I was attempting to start it this afternoon on my lunch break and there was absolutely no clicking sound. Also, there's no red light indication for it to be the immobiliser which I thought could possibly be the issue as well. Gonna check the ground and fuses. Dash displays a blinking green key symbol, and occassionally a yellow blinking key symbol. Swapping out the key fob battery this evening if I can manage to find a 1632 battery. Dash also displays blinking yellow triangular caution sign with an exclamation point. Referred to manual I believe that symbol is for the Master Warning Light so I'm still not entirely sure what that entails. Looked underneath the driver station and it appears the break is stiff and isn't depressing all the way, and that error illuminates on the dash as well.
Toyota. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:56 PM   #47
Turdinator
Seņor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
May have been mistaken with saying it clicks. I was attempting to start it this afternoon on my lunch break and there was absolutely no clicking sound. Also, there's no red light indication for it to be the immobiliser which I thought could possibly be the issue as well. Gonna check the ground and fuses. Dash displays a blinking green key symbol, and occassionally a yellow blinking key symbol. Swapping out the key fob battery this evening if I can manage to find a 1632 battery. Dash also displays blinking yellow triangular caution sign with an exclamation point. Referred to manual I believe that symbol is for the Master Warning Light so I'm still not entirely sure what that entails. Looked underneath the driver station and it appears the break is stiff and isn't depressing all the way, and that error illuminates on the dash as well.
The firm brake pedal is normal when a car isn't running as there is no vacuum assist. With the car off there should be only enough vacuum in reserve for only a few pumps of the brake pedal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Turdinator For This Useful Post:
Toyota. (11-17-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 08:13 PM   #48
anticubus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
If it's the immobiliser then it won't click

Normally, which is why it's down there with the frozen engine as a maaaaaybe something went awry, but probably not. We're in electrical gremlin land, it could be another off the wall thing like when I had to replace an alternator because it had a small short that sapped enough current to prevent a start and ruin the battery.
The Following User Says Thank You to anticubus For This Useful Post:
Toyota. (11-17-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 08:19 PM   #49
Toyota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
The firm brake pedal is normal when a car isn't running as there is no vacuum assist. With the car off there should be only enough vacuum in reserve for only a few pumps of the brake pedal.
Makes sense.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:20 PM   #50
Toyota.

Quote:
Normally, which is why it's down there with the frozen engine as a maaaaaybe something went awry, but probably not. We're in electrical gremlin land, it could be another off the wall thing like when I had to replace an alternator because it had a small short that sapped enough current to prevent a start and ruin the battery.
I hate electrical gremlin land
The Following User Says Thank You to Toyota. For This Useful Post:
anticubus (11-17-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 08:21 PM   #51
Ashikabi

Quote:
I hate electrical gremlin land
I still believe it's unlikely to be the computer and is almost certainly a loose connection somewhere. Or a short

Old 11-17-2020, 08:24 PM   #52
anticubus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
I still believe it's unlikely to be the computer and is almost certainly a loose connection somewhere. Or a short

I dunno, I'm leaning towards a bad fob battery at this point. @Toyota. mentioned this tidbit:
Quote:
Dash displays a blinking green key symbol, and occassionally a yellow blinking key symbol.
Flashing Green means Ignition On, Flashing Yellow means the key couldn't be read by the ECU, Solid Green means the key was accepted and immobilizer disabled. So far a couple threads with similar symptoms are pretty much all dead fobs, and one bad steering lock solenoid.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:43 PM   #53
Toyota.

Quote:
I dunno, I'm leaning towards a bad fob battery at this point. @Toyota. mentioned this tidbit:

Flashing Green means Ignition On, Flashing Yellow means the key couldn't be read by the ECU, Solid Green means the key was accepted and immobilizer disabled. So far a couple threads with similar symptoms are pretty much all dead fobs, and one bad steering lock solenoid.
Gonna pick one up at Target tonight. If it's key fob though it's so odd my battery was drained, it still unlocks the car, and all other electrical components aren't working such as headlights.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toyota. For This Useful Post:
anticubus (11-17-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 08:45 PM   #54
Ashikabi

Quote:

I have no experience with the stock push start system

Old 11-18-2020, 06:43 AM   #55
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

The symptoms have changed so many times I am not sure what is what anymore. If it was clicking it isn't the fob. If it wasn't clicking it could be. Sometimes the lights came on . Sometimes they didn't.
The battery and connections supposedly are fine yet the symptoms all point to a battery or connection.
Could probably figure it out in about 5 minutes with hands on the car but all the changes in symptoms are confusing as hell.
At this point I say just take it to a shop or the dealer since it appears to still be under warranty.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:47 AM   #56
Ashikabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The symptoms have changed so many times I am not sure what is what anymore. If it was clicking it isn't the fob. If it wasn't clicking it could be. Sometimes the lights came on . Sometimes they didn't.
The battery and connections supposedly are fine yet the symptoms all point to a battery or connection.
Could probably figure it out in about 5 minutes with hands on the car but all the changes in symptoms are confusing as hell.
At this point I say just take it to a shop or the dealer since it appears to still be under warranty.
I agree with Tcoat

The Following User Says Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-18-2020)