follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 01-09-2015, 11:36 AM   #29
pushrod
Benched 86lb

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVRSRFR View Post
Any issues with doing this? Just eliminates the A/C? Does the defrost still work as adequately without it?
The only issue is having to cope with pure bliss.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pushrod For This Useful Post:
SLVRSRFR (01-09-2015)
Old 01-09-2015, 12:25 PM   #30
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
I only say this because this occurred on older wrxs
I would say it's an older WRX issue then, not a boxer engine thing.

Almost all built engines with forged pistons have a fair amount of it until things are warmed up too.
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
D_Thissen (01-09-2015)
Old 01-09-2015, 11:35 PM   #31
Ziggyzag420

Drives: 2013 Fr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
No, because I disconnected the power to the AC compressor so it never kicks on. I suggest you do the same. Takes 5 seconds; it's right on top of the compressor in plain sight. Just move the loose wire out of the way of the serp belt.
Why would you do this ?
Ziggyzag420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:17 AM   #32
HeadBanger

Drives: '14 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
I'm with @Pkush. I always prime the fuel pump on whatever car I'm driving. Since living with the push start though the though has never crossed my mind... I'll do some tests today to see how to get it to work, but I think if we put the ignition to "run" and press again, the power goes off.

On another note, I've noticed my valve overlap doesn't always seem to "kick in" when starting it in cold. This normal?
Old 01-10-2015, 08:28 AM   #33
pushrod
Benched 86lb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyzag420 View Post
Why would you do this ?
Because the AC compressor saps precious power when it's running, which is annoying at idle, especially in a manual car where it raises the odds of stalling.

The AC compressor is not bringing any value when it's -20 out; might as well lay it off for the season.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:14 AM   #34
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Because the AC compressor saps precious power when it's running, which is annoying at idle, especially in a manual car where it raises the odds of stalling.

The AC compressor is not bringing any value when it's -20 out; might as well lay it off for the season.
I don't disagree with the value of an AC at negative 20, but two things I should point out:

If your idle is stalling your car, you've got a problem that should be checked.

The compressor doesn't kick in at that cold a temperature, there's a lower threshold that the full auto climate control system has, unless you manually have the AC switch on of course.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:20 AM   #35
pushrod
Benched 86lb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post
I don't disagree with the value of an AC at negative 20, but two things I should point out:

If your idle is stalling your car, you've got a problem that should be checked.

The compressor doesn't kick in at that cold a temperature, there's a lower threshold that the full auto climate control system has, unless you manually have the AC switch on of course.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
I drive an FR-S so I don't have this.

The "stalling issue" is that if you do a slightly sloppy take-up at the instant the AC compressor kicks on, it's often enough to stall the car. I rarely ever have that problem, thanks to decent skill, but with the compressor disconnected, I never do, because it's not possible. Since I'm a commuter in a city full of morons, I like the peace of mind of having a predictable idle.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:50 AM   #36
SLVRSRFR

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT, 2007 WRX Wagon 5MT
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I don't get the "stalling issue" when trying to pull away. It's simply when sitting at idle that I notice the rpm's dip slightly when the compressor kicks over, and sometimes the idle will drop so low that it feels like the car will stall.

Didn't seem to be happening yesterday, however, and I was sat in the car for the better part of an hour having a coffee with a friend.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:22 PM   #37
HeadBanger

Drives: '14 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:

But what about when you want to get some humidity out of the car?
Old 01-11-2015, 02:04 AM   #38
Ziggyzag420

Quote:

The ac runs on the defrost setting to dehumidify the air which causes the windshield to defog without it your breath could freeze on the inside of the windshield and cause further issues.

As far as the stalling issue if the rpms drop too low the compressor will disengage same as if you go full throttle with the air on the compressor will disengage.

As for not bringing any value the freon inside the ac system has oil in it to help keep all the rubber seals on the inside of the system from drying out and leaking the only thing you are doing by disconnecting the ac compressor is raising the chances of having the air conditioning not work when you plug it back in.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:04 AM   #39
Ziggyzag420

Quote:

The ac runs on the defrost setting to dehumidify the air which causes the windshield to defog without it your breath could freeze on the inside of the windshield and cause further issues.

As far as the stalling issue if the rpms drop too low the compressor will disengage same as if you go full throttle with the air on the compressor will disengage.

As for not bringing any value the freon inside the ac system has oil in it to help keep all the rubber seals on the inside of the system from drying out and leaking the only thing you are doing by disconnecting the ac compressor is raising the chances of having the air conditioning not work when you plug it back in.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:47 AM   #40
pushrod
Benched 86lb

I completely understand the theory as to why it runs in defrost mode. Still, with it disconnected, I don't have to deal with annoying RPM dips (stalling aside) and I can still see out of my windshield just fine.

Remember folks, you're not obligated to make this "mod" if you don't want to. Ask your doctor if leaving your car the way it is is right for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to pushrod For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-13-2015)
Old 01-12-2015, 08:46 PM   #41
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I wonder if there's a way to disable it for the FRS guys (BRZ Limited guys are probably out of luck due to auto climate control).
In my old Celica, I disabled the A/C mode for the defrosters only (for some reason, Toyota engineers figured drivers were too stupid to turn on the A/C themselves to defog windows).
However, it was easy to just loosen the one wire that linked the two systems.

I'd prefer to be able to turn on my A/C myself....
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:31 AM   #42
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daiheadjai View Post
I wonder if there's a way to disable it for the FRS guys (BRZ Limited guys are probably out of luck due to auto climate control).
In my old Celica, I disabled the A/C mode for the defrosters only (for some reason, Toyota engineers figured drivers were too stupid to turn on the A/C themselves to defog windows).
However, it was easy to just loosen the one wire that linked the two systems.

I'd prefer to be able to turn on my A/C myself....
Well this car is a bit more modern maybe something tune related?
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (01-13-2015)