follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 02-06-2020, 08:10 PM   #57
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
I have a Lithium-Iron Shorai battery (5lbs) on my Ducati. I can leave the bike sitting for 4-6 months, and it starts right up every time--no battery tender. I've had the battery since 2014. Read up; this isn't an issue:

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...self_discharge

Transporters like Star Trek? Ok, back to reality.

We already know they are the car of the future. They already are at the current battery levels. It'll only get better.

It is reality. They've already transported tiny molecules. It's a start. And who knows what will be invented tomorrow.

And if it works on your motorcycle that's great. Can that translate to larger batteries for cars? And does that hurt the life of the battery? Once they get the kinks out of electric vehicles they will have a lot of good applications.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:36 PM   #58
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
It is reality. They've already transported tiny molecules. It's a start. And who knows what will be invented tomorrow.

And if it works on your motorcycle that's great. Can that translate to larger batteries for cars? And does that hurt the life of the battery? Once they get the kinks out of electric vehicles they will have a lot of good applications.
I'm aware of what you are talking about, and no, they did NOT teleport tiny molecules.

Yes, large batteries work the same, and their size doesn't matter much because they are collections of small batteries, but in general, what you are proposing that you are saying is a problem, is not a problem that exists.

Last edited by Irace86.2.0; 02-06-2020 at 08:59 PM.
Irace86.2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:27 PM   #59
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,327 Times in 7,384 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
It isn't about range. Do these current batteries discharge over time? How long can they sit and not be used?

Companies like Toyota are spending billions on the next generation of batteries. I can only imagine how much cash VW is stuffing into it. If they get zero out of that money in 5 years how long are they going to keep spending? Supposedly Toyota says what they are working on will be able to charge extremely quickly, like 15 minutes or so. If that comes to pass then range anxiety will cease to be a thing. Toyota has mentioned as early as 2021 as a date they are aiming for to produce these solid state batteries for cars. If they even miss that by a year or two it will still totally change everything and these mandates will seem silly. The other important part is weight. If they can figure out how to make them weigh less that can also change the range. Technology can advance rapidly when companies spend this much money to change things. Governments only screw things up.

The UK isn't the USA. You don't need any vehicle in the UK, so the people that do have them use them differently. They can sit for weeks doing nothing. Do we even know if that is going to cause any issues? Are people going to have to worry if these batteries sit for a month or more? What about if they are used only once a week to go get groceries or run errands? Will the batteries wear down faster in that type of use case?

Depends on the chemistry. A lot of current batteries that are used as starting batteries like the Shori are Lithium Iron Phosphate. As long as the don't drop below the the BMS's low voltage protection range they are okay. If they are going to be stored for an extended period of time they should be discharged to a storage capacity to maintain good charge capacity over their lifespan.

That being said, a lot of EV batteries are not LiFePo. I can't really speak on those as I do not have experience with them.
why? (02-07-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 10:06 PM   #60
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
That being said, a lot of EV batteries are not LiFePo. I can't really speak on those as I do not have experience with them.
You don't have to. I already posted a link with the information.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:03 PM   #61
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,327 Times in 7,384 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
You don't have to. I already posted a link with the information.
NMC isn't on there.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:05 PM   #62
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,434 Times in 6,149 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The engine works by rapid explosions after all.
Combustion and explosion are very different occurrences. Put an explosive in a combustion chamber and very bad things happen.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 03:10 AM   #63
alan.chalkley

Drives: 4wd zooks
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
Again, the analogy that Tcoat made about UK vs US applies to your statement.

Why are you comparing a country the size of the US to a country that is almost the same size as New Zealand?
Is this not an international forum about discussing car stuff anywhere on this planet?
My wife drives a boringly reliable reliably boring AU camry.
Is this not similar to a US camry?
alan.chalkley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alan.chalkley For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (02-07-2020), Tcoat (02-07-2020), why? (02-07-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 08:43 AM   #64
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Combustion and explosion are very different occurrences. Put an explosive in a combustion chamber and very bad things happen.
Yes. For the sake of my point engine combustion results in rapidly expanding gasses, extreme sudden pressure and heat. Would you feel more comfortable with "creates forces equivalent to an explosion"?
Old 02-07-2020, 09:53 AM   #65
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:
Yes. For the sake of my point engine combustion results in rapidly expanding gasses, extreme sudden pressure and heat. Would you feel more comfortable with "creates forces equivalent to an explosion"?
No, because it is still an incorrect statement. Explosions in, say air-filled chambers, have very different pressure profiles than combustions. It's not a question of magnitude, it's simply different. That's why detonation (knock) is very bad for ICEs, where it can perform combustion totalling that same amount of energy pretty much all day every day.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:06 AM   #66
Tcoat

Quote:
No, because it is still an incorrect statement. Explosions in, say air-filled chambers, have very different pressure profiles than combustions. It's not a question of magnitude, it's simply different. That's why detonation (knock) is very bad for ICEs, where it can perform combustion totalling that same amount of energy pretty much all day every day.
Well the end result is far greater stressors on and ICE than an electric motor which is the message at hand.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:56 AM   #67
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:
Well the end result is far greater stressors on and ICE than an electric motor which is the message at hand.
That's also not really true... Electric motors have to deal with the same amount of energy, or more if you consider EVs weigh as much as a small moon. They just have less contact surfaces to wear out and less parts overall.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:31 AM   #68
Tcoat

Quote:
That's also not really true... Electric motors have to deal with the same amount of energy, or more if you consider EVs weigh as much as a small moon. They just have less contact surfaces to wear out and less parts overall.
Far far less parts. No valving, lifting, camming, oiling, liquid cooling, charging, exhausting, vacuuming, fueling (well sort of fueling), all of which can break.
NoHaveMSG (02-07-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 11:42 AM   #69
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
No reciprocating forces either.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 11:48 AM   #70
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Do we NEED to get rid of ICE cars? Or will reducing them to a certain number suffice? I imagine it’s the latter.
soundman98 (02-07-2020)