follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 01-30-2013, 12:27 PM   #43
dsgerbc

Drives: BRZ(sold), STI
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamran View Post
I believe the recording is well over 2 seconds. Having only 2 seconds is pretty much meaningless.
Ok, not a couple, several. 10 seconds. So?
Manual says '30 or less'.
Quote:
Most service dignostics, do the diagnostics as routine. Not aware of any regulations that spells out they need permission to perform their diagnostic when you hand them your car to diagnose.
What's your point?
When you drop off the car for service - check what's in the paper you sign. There might be a permission there. EDRs only permanently store data in the event of airbag deployment. While there is no mandate to record more, it's true that manufacturers could volutarily decide record and temporarily store more data. But they will have to make public the procedure to see what's in the EDR. So it's probably okay to be suspicious until one has personally checked what kind of stuff is there in their own EDR.

I highly doubt that a lot of proprietory non-mandated information is being pulled of EDR by Subaru during routine service visits in order to deny warranty later. It would go one step beyond what Audi is doing, and that's already creating some tensions.

Quote:
Let's say, there is such a thing as asking for your permission, and let's say you just turned in a major warranty claim for them to fix, and your answer to them asking for your permission was "no".... I imagine I don't need to explain where your warranty claim goes from here...
At this point, I think it's safe to assume that nothing is being stored if there was no airbag deployment, but we should get info on how to read EDR from Subaru just in case.

If you want to be safe - install a lock on your OBD port.
Don't see those on ebay yet - so here's a free business idea - sell OBD port locks to the paranoid for $20. Should have plenty of business.
dsgerbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:10 AM   #44
sweetfrs

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
i was at an autocross event and there was a 2 toyota reps with the frs from the dealer autocrossing them to show everybody how bada*s it really is, and they were wanting me to autocross mine and i was like naw i only got 400 miles on it and they were getting mad cuz i wouldnt run it lol
sweetfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:36 AM   #45
DanoFA20
Shift Down

Drives: Toyota 86, Mazda RX7 RaceCar (FC3S)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by miata View Post
I think that's because people do better in autoX with Subaru than with Scion. Scion was just embarrassed to say that they will void the warranty if autoX'd because then people will laugh at them for saying that because Scions get their a$$ kicked by Subarus and Miatas. But with the FRS coming, I am sure Scion will add that clause if they don't have it yet.
? its the same car dude... i beat brz drivers at auto cross
DanoFA20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:46 PM   #46
cerealcable

Drives: 2013 Dark Gray Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Reading this makes me a bit sad, but ultimately we do have to recognize that this is just how business is done these days. The consumers always loose out after some large claim, such as a motor being blown because someone wasn't completely irresponsible and it was absolutely directly related to competitive events / racing.

I just wish there was a stronger consumer protection policy in place for when a car is marketed and more or less encouraged to be tracked or entered into competitive events.

Overall, I'm not too worried about it, but then again you can never be too certain. Not certain how big of a tin foil hat I should put on realistically. Yes you could take the plates off and enter under pseudonyms (not certain the SCCA would allow that or not, anyone know for real? I'd imagine that could become an insurance issue for the SCCA). Ultimately wouldn't the manufacturer have to prove that the failure was directly caused by the event itself?
cerealcable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:53 PM   #47
Lavalover

Drives: 2014 FR-S Monogram Hot Lava
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The comment about data recorders preserving only a small time interval is not entirely correct. The number of engine over-revs is recorded permanently--at least in the case of Porsche. This is one of the items that can be examined by a knowledgeable mechanic when performing a pre-purchase inspection of a used Porsche.
Lavalover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:24 PM   #48
unsurety
aeiou

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavalover View Post
The comment about data recorders preserving only a small time interval is not entirely correct. The number of engine over-revs is recorded permanently--at least in the case of Porsche. This is one of the items that can be examined by a knowledgeable mechanic when performing a pre-purchase inspection of a used Porsche.
How about Toyota/Subaru?

OFT tune gives you a nice "soft" rev limiter, though a bit higher than stock. On some courses, bumping into it is unavoidable.
For that price anyone could get a c6z and have money for a simple heads cam package and make a bunch more power and have a superior handling car. This seems overpriced to say the least. "Have it your way" is basically offering someone a massive dildo to shove up their ass BUT they have the option of choosing the method in which it is inserted....
unsurety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:41 PM   #49
markw

Drives: 2014 FR-S
They can not void your warranty for driving a sports car they sold you as a sports car. Mazda tried this and it cost them some $$$$. Here, read up. http://www.fd3s.net/lemon_site/troubles.htm
markw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:58 PM   #50
WazzuGrad

Drives: 13 FRS (sold) 23 GR86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattles View Post
I never compete with plates on my car. License plates are for the roads. And as for names, lets just say I typically have some codrivers.

However, I think its somewhat irresponsible to track the car during the initial break in period, prior to the first scheduled maintenance.
I think you're on to something there. Have you had any issues since you've made this post?
WazzuGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:26 PM   #51
pepelocuas

Drives: scion fr-s
If WARRANTY is VOIDED when any modification is performed to the car or taken the car to a track, then buy a SALVAGE TITLE CAR for 1/3 of the price, fix it and when done you will save 50% of MSRP price.
Then do all kind of modifications and when you are done, total cost will be still lower than buying one at the dealer.
pepelocuas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:18 PM   #52
SON1C

Drives: 2015 Series Blue BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Anyone ever have a warranty issue after autoxing etc and how'd it all turn out
SON1C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:27 PM   #53
Sammakko
Bilge monkey

Drives: '13 BRZ, 82 starlet
Quote:
Originally Posted by miata View Post
I think that's because people do better in autoX with Subaru than with Scion..
i've beat countless subarus, corvettes, porsches, evos, s2000s, miatas, in a scion..

what are you talking about?
Sammakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:30 PM   #54
Sammakko
Bilge monkey

Drives: '13 BRZ, 82 starlet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdarty7 View Post
Technically how would they know if you were at an autocross?
www.google.com
Sammakko is offline   Reply With Quote