follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 08-05-2020, 07:03 PM   #1513
botbs

Drives: 18 BRZ tS, 27 GRMN 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
The torque value in ecutek has nothing to do with actual real torque. It has something to do with the tuning values and throttle position. Almost zero correlation between real torque and the torque value in ecutek.
Oh no =(

Thanks for letting me know!
botbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 02:20 AM   #1514
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by botbs View Post
I want to say thank you to Matt @ Cosworth as he spent a lot of time helping me on the revision of my vehicle. I am very pleased with the after sales service.

For some odd reason my car is a bit tricky to tune due to poor fuel in Vancouver, BC (Canada). After 17th revision on my vehicle, my vehicle finally is ready to drive!

According to the ECUTek datalog, I make about 310 Nm @ 5000rpm. Using those online torque to HP calculator, I make about 286hp @ 7000 rpm.

I am happy with the result! Thanks Matt and Cosworth!

I also purchased a vented hood and a beatrush undertray. Hopefully, it will lower my IAT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by botbs View Post
Oh no =(

Thanks for letting me know!
Nice that you managed to solve the issue after all. The real torque level should be a bit lower, but it is more important to have a knock free engine.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
botbs (08-06-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 02:28 PM   #1515
Matt@Cosworth

Drives: blue - Cosworth SC stage 3.0
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
The torque value in ecutek has nothing to do with actual real torque. It has something to do with the tuning values and throttle position. Almost zero correlation between real torque and the torque value in ecutek.
I did actually revise all the torque values in the tables so they reflected the measured torque on the test-bed
so while its not corrected or measured its not as far off as you might think

not quite sure it was required to be honest
Matt@Cosworth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Matt@Cosworth For This Useful Post:
86TOYO2k17 (08-09-2020), botbs (08-13-2020), sly (08-09-2020)
Old 09-02-2020, 11:38 AM   #1516
TxFrs10

Drives: 10 series fr-s
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I recently had a problem losing power after coming off throttle from sustained high speeds (85-90mph) twice. Its like I confused the tune and it slowed me down. I pulled over both times and restarted the car with no codes and still performing great since I resealed the manifold 8 months ago. 1/3tank of gas and 1/4 second one. I have smaller pulley but this belt has been perfect so far. Oil cooler. Catch can. Velox fuel starvation door. This is like the issue when putting it in cruise control kinda. This is only an issue on road trips to track days once in a blue moon but still I am interested if anyone else had any input?
TxFrs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:48 PM   #1517
sly

Drives: 2016 Cosworth 2.2 BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Car wouldn't start. I could hear the relay click under the dash but the starter would not turn over. I crawled underneath and found the 12v wire going to the starter solenoid was disconnected. The intercooler hoses had slid down and were pressing on the wire and had disconnected it. It's a tight fit, getting all the hoses in place... I took a wire tie and pulled the hoses away from the starter wire and all is good now. Learning experiences...
sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:45 PM   #1518
Inazuma

Drives: BRZ yellow edition 2017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sorry guys! I just noticed there was a thread about this setup ! You can add me to the list of happy owners of that kit.
I had the Cosworth installed at the end of 2019 and could not try it before June of this year because of COVID, but I can tell you that it has seen a lot of track days since (6 on a long track and 5 on a short one)...
Matthew has been of great help when tuning and the result is simply exceptional. Depending on the track my lap times went down between 3 and 10 seconds and my top speed upped between 10 and 20 km/h (that is Canada;-)).
When it was installed, I also added a Jackson dual radiator to add oil cooling so the oil temperatures actually went from 250-260 down to 220-230 degrees (150-155 to 110-120 celsius) which will help on the long run I think.
Inazuma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inazuma For This Useful Post:
botbs (09-21-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 12:11 AM   #1519
botbs

Drives: 18 BRZ tS, 27 GRMN 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inazuma View Post
Sorry guys! I just noticed there was a thread about this setup ! You can add me to the list of happy owners of that kit.
I had the Cosworth installed at the end of 2019 and could not try it before June of this year because of COVID, but I can tell you that it has seen a lot of track days since (6 on a long track and 5 on a short one)...
Matthew has been of great help when tuning and the result is simply exceptional. Depending on the track my lap times went down between 3 and 10 seconds and my top speed upped between 10 and 20 km/h (that is Canada;-)).
When it was installed, I also added a Jackson dual radiator to add oil cooling so the oil temperatures actually went from 250-260 down to 220-230 degrees (150-155 to 110-120 celsius) which will help on the long run I think.
Are you with stock header/exhaust or aftermarket header/exhaust? Any other mods?

Thanks!
botbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:18 AM   #1520
Koba

Drives: 2020 BRZ
Sound Tube Delete Mod

It's a little more expensive than an aluminium plug... but should look better.
Attached Images

Koba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:35 AM   #1521
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koba View Post
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:17 AM   #1522
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koba View Post
Where did you find that kit?!

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 11:45 AM   #1523
Koba

Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
Where did you find that kit?!
So, long story short...
The car is for the track only. I just broke it in on the street and after that the plates are coming off and the mods are going on.
I don't really need extra power, there are enough classes that it can be raced in without forced induction... but it's Cosworth... how could anyone resist?

I knew that the SC kit was out of production when I bought the car, but was hoping that there are some kits still left.
Called and e-mailed anyone and everyone, including Mr. Feasey... nothing.
Found it at Amber Performance in the UK, I think they have one more kit left.
Super exited!
Will not get to installing it till next year, want to sort out the suspension first, but can hardly wait.

The only disappointing thing is... there was no badge in the kit...the main reason I bought it, of course
Old 09-22-2020, 12:30 PM   #1524
Koba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inazuma View Post
Which tracks do you run at, how long are the sessions, HPDE or W2W?
I am also thinking about Jackson dual rad, and not sure if it'll be enough... I do plan on venting the hood though.
Thanks.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:08 PM   #1525
Koba

Questions

Hello all,

Read most of this thread and just want to clarify some things prior to SC install:

I should mention that this will be a track only car, I instruct for a number of clubs in my area, so there will be a lot of track time, and once the car is sorted, a cage will go in for W2W. My previous race car was an E30.

1. Since I have a 2020 MY, it seems that all I need is a longer sleeve to connect to the air box and possibly a new filter (Blitz seems to be the recommended brand)... can I stick with stock or is there just too much restriction?
Is there anything else that is required for 2017+?

2. I am leaning towards Jackson dual rad/oil cooler, some people in this thread mentioned that they are using it, just wondering if anyone with a SC is tracking with this set-up, and if there are any cons?... I will be venting the hood too, mostly for aero, but should help with keeping the temps down.

3. I should have more than enough power for the class I am aiming for with this SC, all I care about is reliability, so with that in mind:
a) Can I keep the stock exhaust (don't care about sound)?
b) Not because of power, but just to avoid any knocking issues, which octane?
I have easy access to:
91 no ethanol,
93 and 94 with about 10% ethanol,
and almost any octane non-ethanol race fuel - 94, 98 and 100... it's just bloody $$$

4. Please see attached picture - is this normal or just loose? Couldn't really check it at the time, and now the box is buried behind a bunch of crap (just a little paranoid).

5. Engine oil - leaning towards 5w30 to start, will monitor temps and pressure.

6. Got a catch can, just because it makes me feel better.

I am sure that I will have more questions, but that is it for now. Thank you all!
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2021, 04:27 PM   #1526
Bodalenko
Steve Bodalenko

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
I swapped to a fluidamper just for piece of mind when I did my Edelbrock. It did not perceptibly change anything for me.
I installed a Fluidamper for the same reason on my Harrop kitted 86 and there was a noticeable difference in smoothness. Smooth as butter to redline and beyond. Just shows you how different cars react to different mods. It's a pain in the arse mod for something so simple but worth doing in my opinion.
Bodalenko is offline   Reply With Quote