follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-06-2019, 04:48 PM   #1
Abaier

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Smile Should I replace the clutch at 38k miles?

I've got the car in for a warranty repair on resealing an oil leak on the timing cover, and since the motor needed to come out I had thought I might as well see if the clutch or TOB needs replacing. Got a call from the dealer today saying they recommended replacing the flywheel, clutch, TOB, and pressure plate, they would only charge me for parts which comes out to $830. To have just the clutch and TOB replaced it would be $256 which I find more reasonable, but they really do recommend doing the whole thing. I have fun with the car, but by no means am I launching it at every street light, racing everyone I see, or doing anything outside of the occasional Sunday morning spirited drive.

I do get a bit of noise from the car when its in neutral which goes away when I push the clutch in, but sometimes when the car is cold or if its cold out I get a bit of squeaking and crunching sounds while pushing in the clutch.

What do you guys thing? I trust this dealer and you know what maybe I haven't been the nicest to this clutch, but I do think its a bit early to be having all of those components replaced.
Abaier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 05:16 PM   #2
Bello

Drives: Scion FR-S 10-Series
Get the exedy kit from rock auto.
$180.79 for the clutch, pressure plate, and TOB
$108.79 for the flywheel

Last edited by Bello; 07-06-2019 at 05:48 PM.
Bello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 05:19 PM   #3
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaier View Post
I've got the car in for a warranty repair on resealing an oil leak on the timing cover, and since the motor needed to come out I had thought I might as well see if the clutch or TOB needs replacing. Got a call from the dealer today saying they recommended replacing the flywheel, clutch, TOB, and pressure plate, they would only charge me for parts which comes out to $830. To have just the clutch and TOB replaced it would be $256 which I find more reasonable, but they really do recommend doing the whole thing. I have fun with the car, but by no means am I launching it at every street light, racing everyone I see, or doing anything outside of the occasional Sunday morning spirited drive.

I do get a bit of noise from the car when its in neutral which goes away when I push the clutch in, but sometimes when the car is cold or if its cold out I get a bit of squeaking and crunching sounds while pushing in the clutch.

What do you guys thing? I trust this dealer and you know what maybe I haven't been the nicest to this clutch, but I do think its a bit early to be having all of those components replaced.

Are you the original owner?

If you trust the dealer, and they recommend the changes, for $830, that's a good deal.

humfrz

Last edited by humfrz; 07-06-2019 at 06:11 PM.
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 05:46 PM   #4
Dr. BRZ

Drives: 2013 WR Blue Pearl BRZ Limited 6MT.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Burning the clutch comes from your leg, learn to engage it better and not from those car activities. Suggestion, join your local twin fbk page, set up a install event, buy the following members pizza and beer as payment for the labor and you just buy the parts. Much much cheaper than going to the stealershop. You can make new friends and learn about the car
Dr. BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 06:14 PM   #5
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Honestly if it was me, actually if it's my wallet, I'll just pay for the TOB.
If the clutch need it down the road I'll take it to any shop not the dealership. Or if you got the tools and space to work on diy it.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (07-06-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 06:33 PM   #6
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
OP, are you experienced enough to describe just how you haven't been nice to the clutch? Serious question because I don't want to waste my time lecturing you about how to use the clutch when in fact, you might only think that you've been rough on it.

Personally, I'd just get in there to clean and lubricate the quill. I'm even 50/50 on swapping out a second-generation TOB because, in good conscience, I would have to swap out the quill along with it. That takes some finesse to do properly. I'd ask the tech if he'd ever done one.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:56 PM   #7
Abaier

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Are you the original owner?

If you trust the dealer, and they recommend the changes, for $830, that's a good deal.

humfrz
I am the original owner, I learned stick with this car so I think they might have a valid recommendation!
The Following User Says Thank You to Abaier For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-06-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 06:58 PM   #8
Abaier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
Honestly if it was me, actually if it's my wallet, I'll just pay for the TOB.
If the clutch need it down the road I'll take it to any shop not the dealership. Or if you got the tools and space to work on diy it.
Yeah I wouldn't normally take it to a dealership because I am well aware they overcharge, but since I already have it there and its already apart I'm definitely considering it. Why do you figure just the TOB and not at least the clutch disk as well?
Old 07-06-2019, 07:21 PM   #9
Abaier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
OP, are you experienced enough to describe just how you haven't been nice to the clutch? Serious question because I don't want to waste my time lecturing you about how to use the clutch when in fact, you might only think that you've been rough on it.

Personally, I'd just get in there to clean and lubricate the quill. I'm even 50/50 on swapping out a second-generation TOB because, in good conscience, I would have to swap out the quill along with it. That takes some finesse to do properly. I'd ask the tech if he'd ever done one.
I don't know that I'm experienced enough to say, I learned manual on this car so I can only assume I may have mistreated it in the process. I don't ride the clutch at all, the only times I can think of doing any damage to it would be a trying out the OFT launch control a few times and higher rpm driving.

I really am leaning on at least replacing the TOB, I'll give the tech a call before they close to get a better idea of his expertise in replacing these.
Old 07-06-2019, 07:24 PM   #10
Abaier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. BRZ View Post
Burning the clutch comes from your leg, learn to engage it better and not from those car activities. Suggestion, join your local twin fbk page, set up a install event, buy the following members pizza and beer as payment for the labor and you just buy the parts. Much much cheaper than going to the stealershop. You can make new friends and learn about the car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bello View Post
Get the exedy kit from rock auto.
$180.79 for the clutch, pressure plate, and TOB
$108.79 for the flywheel
Might have a winning combo here, sounds like a win win to me!
The Following User Says Thank You to Abaier For This Useful Post:
Mr.ac (07-06-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 07:47 PM   #11
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Even with some mistreatment, the clutch is likely fine.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
Qadthane (07-09-2019), Ultramaroon (07-06-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 08:04 PM   #12
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
Even with some mistreatment, the clutch is likely fine.
just gett'n broke in

Unless, that is,... OP, would you say it's possible that you are in the habit of goosing it before fully engaging the clutch? So the engine goes "eeeee-awwww" when you dump it? It's a common noob thing that can be hell on clutches over time. Other than that, I bet it's practically new.
Old 07-06-2019, 09:17 PM   #13
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post

What a quill?
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:26 PM   #14
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
What a quill?
It's the thing on which the TOB slides. Service manual calls it the transmission front cover.

Tags
clutch, dealer, recommendation, repair, tob