follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 02-12-2019, 09:09 PM   #15
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZnut View Post
And this is why I'm sticking with my opinion that tearing apart good working engines for something that will likely never happen is a dumb way to attack this problem. They should have just planned to fix the issue for free when the unlikely event of a broken spring happens.

But that would risk a lawsuit if someone got hurt. Seems they have added more risk then they had just leaving it alone though. There are more reports of dead engines from the recall than there have been of actual spring failures. Although the liability may be offloaded from Subaru to the dealer if the dealer does the recall, the engine dies and they get in a wreck. We all know a bearing doesn’t fail because you replaced the valve springs unless the dealer makes a mistake.

I plan to do mine eventually. I talked to a neighbor that had his done and it took them a week. They said it was the first one they have done. So I think I will hold of a few months.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:30 PM   #16
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
But that would risk a lawsuit if someone got hurt. Seems they have added more risk then they had just leaving it alone though. There are more reports of dead engines from the recall than there have been of actual spring failures. Although the liability may be offloaded from Subaru to the dealer if the dealer does the recall, the engine dies and they get in a wreck. We all know a bearing doesn’t fail because you replaced the valve springs unless the dealer makes a mistake.

I plan to do mine eventually. I talked to a neighbor that had his done and it took them a week. They said it was the first one they have done. So I think I will hold of a few months.
True but I think we all agree the chance of a broken spring is small. The chance that a broken spring will happen at the exact time to put you in an accident is even smaller.

I am with you and going to wait a bit to see how this all plays out!
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZnut For This Useful Post:
tobin (02-21-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 10:28 PM   #17
PWBRZ

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I’m going to wait as long as possible. Really wish I didn’t have to do it but here in CA it’s mandatory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PWBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:16 AM   #18
kopecma

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
I have experience with this situation.

I brought my car in for the valve spring recall about a month ago. After the recall work was performed, the #3 rod bearing failed while the service department was doing their test drive. The dealer claims everything went fine with the recall work and that it must have been a random rod bearing failure. They ask Toyota for a replacement short block, which was eventually approved despite the car being 5 months out of the powertrain warranty window. Fast-forward 25 days and the car is ready. The dealer claims Toyota won’t cover the labor for the replacement of the short block. Angry, I call Toyota customer service who promptly refers me back to the dealer. The dealer offers to discount their labor rate slightly but I’m still stuck with a bill for nearly 20% of the value of the car (spark plugs, tob and pressure plate were replaced as well). Granted, it’s a cheap price to pay for a new short block, but sticking the customer with the bill when the failure was almost certainly related to the recall work and the car was still in the dealerships possession is a great way to ensure I don’t shop there in the future.

If people are considering have the valve spring recall performed I would strongly recommend discussing with your service advisor which party is financially responsible if another failure occurs as a result the recall work before handing over your keys.

kopecma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kopecma For This Useful Post:
HaXx (02-13-2019), RToyo86 (02-22-2019), Teseo (02-22-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 06:06 AM   #19
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZnut View Post
True but I think we all agree the chance of a broken spring is small. The chance that a broken spring will happen at the exact time to put you in an accident is even smaller.

I am with you and going to wait a bit to see how this all plays out!

The accident would come as a result of the failed engine. Pull the EPS fuse and go for a drive if you want to simulate the experience of not having power steering. I just did this last week and was shocked at how difficult it is. People think of PS as a luxury when it’s nearly mandatory on our car due to the 13:1 ratio. Old cars without PS had ratios to accommodate. Even at a roll this car is super hard to steer. A quick reaction to avoid an accident would be hard especially if you unexpectedly lost it. I agree the chance of failure is low but the chance of an accident if it failed is higher than you would think.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:10 AM   #20
ermax

Valve Spring Recall > Spun Bearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopecma View Post

I brought my car in for the valve spring recall about a month ago. After the recall work was performed, the #3 rod bearing failed while the service department was doing their test drive. The dealer claims everything went fine with the recall work and that it must have been a random rod bearing failure. They ask Toyota for a replacement short block, which was eventually approved despite the car being 5 months out of the powertrain warranty window. Fast-forward 25 days and the car is ready. The dealer claims Toyota won’t cover the labor for the replacement of the short block. Angry, I call Toyota customer service who promptly refers me back to the dealer. The dealer offers to discount their labor rate slightly but I’m still stuck with a bill for nearly 20% of the value of the car (spark plugs, tob and pressure plate were replaced as well). Granted, it’s a cheap price to pay for a new short block, but sticking the customer with the bill when the failure was almost certainly related to the recall work and the car was still in the dealerships possession is a great way to ensure I don’t shop there in the future.

If people are considering have the valve spring recall performed I would strongly recommend discussing with your service advisor which party is financially responsible if another failure occurs as a result the recall work before handing over your keys.

Man that sucks. I’d collect all the occurrences of bearing failure from this forum and show them you aren’t the only one. Just curious, how many miles are on your car?

It’s also interesting to see people register just to report these recall failures. Just think of how many people could be going through this that we don’t know about. I know Tcoat is going to slap my hand for this comment but it’s true.

Last edited by ermax; 02-13-2019 at 08:18 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:46 AM   #21
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

That sucks and is why I am concerned. Did they give a reason why #3 rod failed????
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:26 AM   #22
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

If they did not tell you that you would be responsible for the labor prior to replacing, they should be eating their labor.
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ka-t_240 For This Useful Post:
ermax (02-13-2019), srt4evah (02-13-2019), treedodger (02-27-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 10:09 AM   #23
srt4evah
Initial G

Drives: 13 FR-S, 15 BMW 228i
Man this really sucks, Toyota doesn't have techs with experience rebuilding boxer engines. I bet few if any BRZ owners will have their engine fail after this recall, but now we have 3 in one thread.

There was a local in Austin here that had his engine oil overfilled and his crankshaft seal was done improperly, and had to be redone. Hope his engine lasts... I give up on this recall, for now at least, not letting them near my car.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:37 AM   #24
kopecma

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
45k miles on the car.

They were non-committal on the mechanism of the rod bearing failure “it’s a known issue with this engine”. Stated that they didn’t believe it could directly attributed to the recall work.

I was told multiple times that “Toyota will contact you” so I thought I would have a chance to plead my case with them. When I attempted to contact them I was referred to the PR person at the dealer who gave me back to the service manager.

I was hopeful that the labor would be included since the short block was deemed to be covered under the powertrain warranty. At that point though, I just wanted my car back and understood that I was going to be stuck writing a check no matter whether or not Toyota covered the labor.

The whole thing left a sour taste in my mouth, but I get that all parties probably share some responsibility in paying for the failure. I drove the car for several years putting some wear on the bearing. Toyota donated a $6800 short block with a one year warranty. The dealership discounted their labor and gave me a rental for a month (but also probably compromised oil flow to the rod bearing in the first place).

kopecma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:37 AM   #25
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,224 Times in 7,328 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
The accident would come as a result of the failed engine. Pull the EPS fuse and go for a drive if you want to simulate the experience of not having power steering. I just did this last week and was shocked at how difficult it is. People think of PS as a luxury when it’s nearly mandatory on our car due to the 13:1 ratio. Old cars without PS had ratios to accommodate. Even at a roll this car is super hard to steer. A quick reaction to avoid an accident would be hard especially if you unexpectedly lost it. I agree the chance of failure is low but the chance of an accident if it failed is higher than you would think.
Talk to all the track guys who have overheated and had the PS cut mid corner.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
ermax (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 10:55 AM   #26
ermax

Quote:
45k miles on the car.

They were non-committal on the mechanism of the rod bearing failure “it’s a known issue with this engine”. Stated that they didn’t believe it could directly attributed to the recall work.

I was told multiple times that “Toyota will contact you” so I thought I would have a chance to plead my case with them. When I attempted to contact them I was referred to the PR person at the dealer who gave me back to the service manager.

I was hopeful that the labor would be included since the short block was deemed to be covered under the powertrain warranty. At that point though, I just wanted my car back and understood that I was going to be stuck writing a check no matter whether or not Toyota covered the labor.

The whole thing left a sour taste in my mouth, but I get that all parties probably share some responsibility in paying for the failure. I drove the car for several years putting some wear on the bearing. Toyota donated a $6800 short block with a one year warranty. The dealership discounted their labor and gave me a rental for a month (but also probably compromised oil flow to the rod bearing in the first place).
First of all a rod bearing isn't actually a bearing. Oil is what forms the bearing. What is referred to as the bearing is actually just a shim that is used to create the perfect oil clearance to form a bearing. In a perfect world the bearing never makes contact with the rod or crank. You can pull bearings on a car with 100k miles and they will still look brand new assuming the car had proper oiling its whole life. If there is oil starvation they basically go from mint condition to completely destroyed in seconds. They don't really wear with time as they seem to be making you think. What I think is going on with these recall jobs is they are either using too much packing seal on the timing cover, cam caps or valve cover and then it is breaking loose, making its way down to the pan and then clogging the oil pickup or when they scrape off the old packing seal on the cam caps and valve cover the old packing is falling into the engine which makes its way to the pan and then into the oil pickup. No way in hell have there been 3 people all with the same bad luck that they just happened to have a bearing spin right after this job.

Also, a short block isn't $6800. Hell even if you paid MSRP it isn't 6800. If I recall MSRP is 2050, I paid $1860 for mine.

I would put up a fight on this one.
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Teseo (02-22-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 12:01 PM   #27
Pinoy_FRS

Drives: Ultramarine
Quote:
45k miles on the car.

I really hope that isn’t the case with my car. I had the recall service done about a month ago. I picked it up one and a half weeks later only only for my check engine light and slip light to come on. I brought it back and it turned out to be a bad ocv. Got it fixed and picked it up another week later. Two weeks of getting the car back and my engine completely fails on me driving on the highway. I turned it on and heard this loud knock on the motor so I got it towed to the same dealership. My car was running fine before I brought it in for the recall. I did it for peace of mind but ever since after I’ve been getting nothing but problems with my car. Do you think Toyota will blame me for the engine failing because of normal wear and tear?
Pinoy_FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:13 PM   #28
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I guess this is all a good reason to have as much work done as possible at a reputable tune shop instead of a dealer. I'm not knocking all dealer techs, but I have more confidence tossing my keys to a subie tune shop.
HaXx is offline   Reply With Quote