follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
EAGLE5, finch1750, go_a_way1, iManage, KR-S, MisterSheep, Tcoat, Ultramaroon

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 01:36 PM   #38907
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,519 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
So... this yr, I’ve finally decided that, I need to replace my front bumper (cuz it’s pretty messed up). Now, I’ve found one that I kinda like. Biggest debate atm is should I buy one that’s already painted ($1,200 +shipping) or should I buy one that’s unpainted ($700 +shipping) & painted locally here to match current car color. I’m lil bit concern that if I buy pre-painted one, paint won’t match due to the age of the car... at the same time, if it’s only 1~3 shades difference, I’m not gonna worry too much (I think)

What you guys think? If I can shave money here & there it’s nice... but key important part for me is don’t wanna spent extra money than as is.
Have it custom painted. You'll forget about the cost as soon as you see it and will feel better in the end.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:40 PM   #38908
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
So... this yr, I’ve finally decided that, I need to replace my front bumper (cuz it’s pretty messed up). Now, I’ve found one that I kinda like. Biggest debate atm is should I buy one that’s already painted ($1,200 +shipping) or should I buy one that’s unpainted ($700 +shipping) & painted locally here to match current car color. I’m lil bit concern that if I buy pre-painted one, paint won’t match due to the age of the car... at the same time, if it’s only 1~3 shades difference, I’m not gonna worry too much (I think)

What you guys think? If I can shave money here & there it’s nice... but key important part for me is don’t wanna spent extra money than as is.
Always get it paint matched. The car is no longer the colour it was when new no matter how much care has been taken of it. Worth every penny of the extra cost.
Dadhawk (01-21-2018), ichitaka05 (01-21-2018), Ultramaroon (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 02:34 PM   #38909
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

I'd suggest you go with the more expensive option.

Why?

Because, if you go with the cheaper option, you will never think the paint matches as well as it could have; if you go with the more expensive option, you will always think that the paint matches as well as it could ever have .....because you paid more ......

humfrz
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
ichitaka05 (01-21-2018), Teseo (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 03:50 PM   #38910
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
That said our bumper is a different shade then the hood and fenders anyway so it wont stay matched even if it is blended. Xepends how "off" you can stand.

Cheaper to pay more the first time then redo it if not happy

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
Cole (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 04:17 PM   #38911
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Not pedantic. I remember seeing bare wire twisted together,

fuckwad.
First off, reported for a personal attack. I need a safe space, preferably a private subforum where only AT guys are allowed, that way, @finch1750 and @Dadhawk and @soulreapersteve can all comfort me for how attacked I feel by you MT elitists that keep telling me I can't have fun in my auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
If you're just using it as a media tablet, they're quite nice. The biggest drawback is being limited to Amazon's store (though you can work around that).
Not familiar at all with the Amazon ecosystem, so that is something I need to look into before buying from them. I didn't realize that it's "limited". How bad is it? Am I able to root the tablet and sideload the play store, or at least allow the tablet to install APKs I've downloaded?

Quote:
I actually find the iPad Mini to be a terrible design; it reports the same screen size as the full size one. Makes reading and such a bit more challenging. For movies and such it's fine - Apple does a great job with the display, colors, etc.
Hmm, I find their tablets to be superior to anything on the Android side the hardware and software just mesh so nicely, and that's something that Android just doesn't seem to be able to do, unless it's specced to like 3x what a comparable iDevice is. I've had an iPad mini first gen (girlfriend is using it now), and I can compare it to the second gen Nexus 7 and Samsung something or other (fuck you Knox).

I loved the Nexus, since when I had it, I was switching ROMs just about every week, but I see development has slowed down significantly. Kind of disappointed about that, one of the biggest reasons I hopped back into a google phone is because I recall on the Nexus 5 I had in 2014, there were more ROMs than you could ever hope to try.

Quote:
If you're mostly doing movies, a 10" Android gets you a better screen ratio and a nice size - also nicer size for typing (in landscape). If you're reading/browsing, an 8" is nicer in-hand - lighter, and less leverage against the wrist.
The majority of time spent would be reading and browsing. I have a ton of digital books. Plus, I don't always wear glasses when watching TV, so the extra screen real estate would be appreciated versus my phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
CAUTION! .......

That may be expensive for you!

As an example:

mrs humfrz + a couch + lots of free time + a TV on + an ipad + internet access + Amazon Prime = EXPENSIVE!

humfrz
Nothing I can't do on a tablet that my phone doesn't already do!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-22-2018), humfrz (01-21-2018), soulreapersteve (02-23-2018), Ultramaroon (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 04:19 PM   #38912
Cole
Not a troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
That said our bumper is a different shade then the hood and fenders anyway so it wont stay matched even if it is blended. Xepends how "off" you can stand.

I've got a sweet scuff on the lower left of my bumper, that if I recall, isn't too different from the result of an LCA to @Tcoat's bumper? Anyhow, too lazy (read: cheap) to fix, and I figure in the area I live, I'll likely get hit by someone who isn't a great driver and be able to get it fixed for free.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:51 PM   #38913
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
I've got a sweet scuff on the lower left of my bumper, that if I recall, isn't too different from the result of an LCA to @Tcoat's bumper? Anyhow, too lazy (read: cheap) to fix, and I figure in the area I live, I'll likely get hit by someone who isn't a great driver and be able to get it fixed for free.
The CA was a slit in my rear quarter. The front bumper scuff was from a chunk of ice frozen to the ground. The slit was fixed the bumper remains the same
Cole (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 04:53 PM   #38914
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Now THAT is one scary philosophy ........

humfrz
Old 01-21-2018, 04:54 PM   #38915
Tcoat

Quote:

Maybe depends on colour but my bumper is exactly the same as the rest of the car. Not even a slight difference.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:01 PM   #38916
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Maybe depends on colour but my bumper is exactly the same as the rest of the car. Not even a slight difference.
Ive had my entire front end blended (hood, fenders, bunper) and its ended up different over time lol. Could be certain colors are more noticeable? Mine isnt noticeable from a distance but looking up close it is slightly different. Right after it got repainted it was spot on but not anymore

Quote:
The entire front bumper is black underneath (and a little on the side) and I have two noticeable black spots on the rear bumper as well. Parking blocks, my shitty driveway, and who knows what else haha

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
Cole (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 05:06 PM   #38917
Tcoat

Quote:
Ive had my entire front end blended (hood, fenders, bunper) and its ended up different over time lol. Could be certain colors are more noticeable? Mine isnt noticeable from a distance but looking up close it is slightly different. Right after it got repainted it was spot on but not anymore

The entire front bumper is black underneath (and a little on the side) and I have two noticeable black spots on the rear bumper as well. Parking blocks, my shitty driveway, and who knows what else haha
Could be the difference in UV and tempuratures that our cars are exposed to as well.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:09 PM   #38918
Cole
Not a troll

Quote:
Could be the difference in UV and tempuratures that our cars are exposed to as well.
My bumper is definitely different than the hood and the fenders. Along with my mirrors. Might just be the white shows it better than the orange.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:12 PM   #38919
Tcoat

Quote:
My bumper is definitely different than the hood and the fenders. Along with my mirrors. Might just be the white shows it better than the orange.
Ya. Different pigments. I have noticed differences in almost new white cars.
Cole (01-21-2018), Dadhawk (01-22-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 05:26 PM   #38920
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
Yeah, yours gets less exposure since its buried in snow so often and I'm in the California sun lol

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
Cole (01-21-2018), Tcoat (01-21-2018)
Closed Thread

Tags
aching balls, ass or gtfo, germanystrikesback, guff approved, human resources, i don't wanna go to prom, i lurk, i participated, i read this thread, i'm so gay, ichi has crabs, ichi is in denial, imanage can't manage, in god we thrust, me worry?, member berries, never forget, no politics, nothing for you!!!, nsfp, omg i can't catch up! :(, poo on my chest, post #696 review on ichi, sapphireho sucks!, specialk watches you post, special_k is a lurker, tcoat is as tcoat does, tcoat is dead, tcoat is jesus, tcoat is risen, tcoat returns, tcoat rules, tig ol bitties, tits or gtfo, trackmyfarts, tylerlieberman is a cuck, wubba lubba dub dubs!!!, y u do dis