follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 06-27-2015, 10:34 PM   #1
Hen3ry

Drives: 2014 FRS Monogram Edition
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
oem audio plus questions

I have read many reviews here about how great the oem audio+ products are, and I am seriously considering going this route.
Just wondering about a few things as I try to plan out an upgrade path:
1.) is there a noticeable difference in sound quality when using an aftermarket headunit (ca-fi or pioneer nex) vs stock with this system?
2.) how about comparing the reference series system vs the 400+ system with focal speakers or infinity kappas up front for example?
3.) some aftermarket headunits have time alignment features and other tweaks etc. Would this conflict with the dsp that comes with the oem+ system?

Thanks
Hen3ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:01 AM   #2
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hen3ry View Post
I have read many reviews here about how great the oem audio+ products are, and I am seriously considering going this route.
Just wondering about a few things as I try to plan out an upgrade path:
1.) is there a noticeable difference in sound quality when using an aftermarket headunit (ca-fi or pioneer nex) vs stock with this system?
2.) how about comparing the reference series system vs the 400+ system with focal speakers or infinity kappas up front for example?
3.) some aftermarket headunits have time alignment features and other tweaks etc. Would this conflict with the dsp that comes with the oem+ system?

Thanks
If you don't mind, I'm gonna tag along with these questions aswell. I've been wondering about this system for a while.

4.) Can the OEM+ system give a flat output from an aftermarket HU?
5.) Are the DSP settings user adjustable? Mainly, can I adjust crossover slopes & frequencies, and time alignement settings to allow me to run aftermarket speakers.

(At this point, I'm guessing I'd be better off with another DSP unit, but the stock integration would be a big plus.)
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 04:14 AM   #3
Calidrifter
@Executive_chicken

Drives: Firestorm FR-S, Audi A3 E-tron
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Exclamation

I'm going to tag @oemaudioplus so that they can come in and answer your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
That guy, like me after BBQ Thursdays, is full of shit.
Calidrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calidrifter For This Useful Post:
Calum (06-28-2015), oemaudioplus (06-29-2015), whataboutbob (07-18-2015)
Old 06-29-2015, 07:12 PM   #4
oemaudioplus

Drives: http://bit.ly/Vantage86
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Thanks for the questions @Hen3ry and @Calum.
Appreciate the tag @Calidrifter!!
Answers in red.

Yes. There is a noticeable difference between the stock and head unit. The system is as good as the weakest link (in this case the head unit). All of that to say, you've got to hear what we do with the stock head unit. Whether you keep you stock or upgrade now or later you have our signature sound guarantee.

Because we tune specifically to the output characteristics of each head we'll want to retune your O+ DSP amplifier in the event you upgrade or change your head unit.

It would be an Apples to Oranges comparison. Primarily because all our components are designed, engineered and produced specifically to perform in concert with each other (This allows us to maximize both performance and reliability).

We carefully integrated the subwoofer system and the door mid-woofers to operate seamlessly in tandem with each other to allow full-bodied bass reproduction. The 1-inch soft-dome tweeter kicks in at about 3khz which also helps to lock-in the sound stage at about ear level to the listener and by virtue of some time alignment between the L & R front channels, we are able to focus the imaging for the driver. This prescribed crossover frequencies between the tweeter and the midrange delivers a three-dimensional quality of sound.

Nope. We set the standard (guaranteeing our signature sound at your unit's flat and default settings) and you adjust to your hearts content.

We would love to tailor your O+ kit specific to your listening preference.

5.) Are the DSP settings user adjustable? Mainly, can I adjust crossover slopes & frequencies, and time alignement settings to allow me to run aftermarket speakers.

Due to our products being OEM certified (10 year / 100,000 mile testing) user adjustability is not permitted. We provide turn-key solutions that provide our signature sound reproduction the moment you plug your kit in. If you have any questions or requests - You have a full team of acoustic engineers that consider your experience our top priority.
oemaudioplus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oemaudioplus For This Useful Post:
whataboutbob (07-18-2015)
Old 06-29-2015, 10:10 PM   #5
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oemaudioplus View Post
Thanks for the questions @Hen3ry and @Calum.
Appreciate the tag @Calidrifter!!
Answers in red.

Yes. There is a noticeable difference between the stock and head unit. The system is as good as the weakest link (in this case the head unit). All of that to say, you've got to hear what we do with the stock head unit. Whether you keep you stock or upgrade now or later you have our signature sound guarantee.

Because we tune specifically to the output characteristics of each head we'll want to retune your O+ DSP amplifier in the event you upgrade or change your head unit.

It would be an Apples to Oranges comparison. Primarily because all our components are designed, engineered and produced specifically to perform in concert with each other (This allows us to maximize both performance and reliability).

We carefully integrated the subwoofer system and the door mid-woofers to operate seamlessly in tandem with each other to allow full-bodied bass reproduction. The 1-inch soft-dome tweeter kicks in at about 3khz which also helps to lock-in the sound stage at about ear level to the listener and by virtue of some time alignment between the L & R front channels, we are able to focus the imaging for the driver. This prescribed crossover frequencies between the tweeter and the midrange delivers a three-dimensional quality of sound.

Nope. We set the standard (guaranteeing our signature sound at your unit's flat and default settings) and you adjust to your hearts content.

We would love to tailor your O+ kit specific to your listening preference.

Due to our products being OEM certified (10 year / 100,000 mile testing) user adjustability is not permitted. We provide turn-key solutions that provide our signature sound reproduction the moment you plug your kit in. If you have any questions or requests - You have a full team of acoustic engineers that consider your experience our top priority.

Very interesting. What's involved with having the O+ kit tailored to my tastes/prefered system?

I've got a set of Moral soft dome tweeters, ID OEM mids, an IDQ 12, and plenty of amplifier channels to drive everything that have been kicking around for a couple of years. Time is a huge commodity in my house. If you could deliver a preset DSP, with a driver centered image and a flat output from my Dashlinq 4 I think I'd be in heaven. That would easily cut off two thirds of the install time.

Also, I live in Canada, so I'd be interested in shipping charges and if you guys can prepay the duty and taxes. PM is welcome considering I'm asking about prices.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:24 PM   #6
oemaudioplus

Excuse the delayed response @Calum.. Not sure if our notifications are working or what... enough excuses though.

Yep. We TRULY respect the art of the build (as I'm sure you can imagine). However we also respect your time (like you mentioned). The process we take to "tune" each system is arduous. Typically it requires approximately 80 hours to do a complete session. Likewise we design the System / Reference components to compliment the amplification and maximize performance.

We'll send you an estimate via PM for your international shipment quote!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oemaudioplus For This Useful Post:
Calum (07-14-2015), whataboutbob (07-18-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 03:00 PM   #7
sidswiftsteel

Drives: Galaxy Blue Silica BRZ
I would love to buy one of their systems and have come very close but 75% of the time I'm listening to audio books...
sidswiftsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sidswiftsteel For This Useful Post:
oemaudioplus (07-17-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 03:08 PM   #8
oemaudioplus

Nothing wrong with an audiobook sounding amazing @sidswiftsteel !!!!
Old 07-18-2015, 08:00 PM   #9
Hen3ry

Any chance for a summer sale?
The Following User Says Thank You to Hen3ry For This Useful Post:
oemaudioplus (07-25-2015)
Old 07-25-2015, 07:05 PM   #10
oemaudioplus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hen3ry View Post
Any chance for a summer sale?
Well, Sir... This is happening right now!!
(Skip to 4:06 to learn of the CURRENT promotion)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkXOKWdGaFE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkXOKWdGaFE[/ame]
Old 07-25-2015, 10:23 PM   #11
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Just put my order in a few days ago
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF

Last edited by DJCarbine; 07-26-2015 at 12:27 AM.
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:24 PM   #12
Hen3ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by oemaudioplus View Post
Well, Sir... This is happening right now!!
(Skip to 4:06 to learn of the CURRENT promotion)
Awesomesauce
Just placed an order for the reference package.
Can't wait to hear it
Old 07-31-2015, 04:41 PM   #13
ravisraval

Drives: 2013 FRS
Have your orders shipped yet? I ordered last Sunday, wondering how long it will take.
ravisraval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:24 PM   #14
twag4

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravisraval View Post
Have your orders shipped yet? I ordered last Sunday, wondering how long it will take.
I ordered a week ago and was told it would ship by today. I haven't heard anything.
twag4 is offline   Reply With Quote