follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
Benzy

Drives: 2001 Camaro
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Test drove some cars today!

First I drove the Genesis Coupe 3.8 track.
Next up was the 2012 Veloster (friend's wife really wants this vehicle so I decided while I'm here to give it a go to tell them about it)
And last, I took an FR-S out for a spin.

The genesis, I'm not a huge fan of. It felt like a fast sedan, not much sporty feel, the ride was very gentle, and quiet. I suppose to each their own but, I wouldn't buy this car even if it was priced at the FR-S.
I currently have an 01 v6 Camaro, and in terms of acceleration, it feels quite similar.

Veloster, was very sluggish. I've driven a few other Hyundai's and this is by far the slowest one I've ever driven, granted it wasn't the turbo model, I was still surprised.

And the FR-S, was so much more than I had suspected.
My Camaro makes me feel really small, too much head room (I suppose that isn't really a bad thing), and I sit extremely low, as my model didn't have electronic seats so there is no raising or anything.
The FR-S handles amazing, you can feel bumps in the road (which I like) you can hear the motor, (I also like this, you can hear the camaro motor in the cabin too, probably because it basically is almost right under the dash) the seats are amazing, I felt so snug in the seat, it seemed to fit me really well.

Overall, I am extremely glad I didn't buy a GC before the FR-S was released.
My whiteout is on order and will be here in under 2 weeks!!
(girlfriend in photos, not me haha.)

Didn't snap a photo of the GC, I should have ><
Anyways, I just wanted to share my experience, sorry for the wall of text.
Benzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
MVJ1975
Automatic Hooligan

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I like the GC for what it is. It's got good power, it handles well, and it's very reasonably priced for what you get. Not the same sort of car as the FR-S, but a good alternate choice to the V6 Mustang.

The Veloster I absolutely despise. As Jeremy Clarkson said, it's an accountant in a clown suit. It isn't sporty and it isn't particularly practical either. Once the edgy styling wears off, it has nothing else to fall back on.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
Benzy

Haha, I completely agree. My girlfriend was making fun of how it looked the entire time and I think the dealer got a little sad haha.

Yeah the GC is a good car, I was just expecting it to feel a lot more sporty than it does.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzy View Post
And the FR-S, was so much more than I had suspected.
My Camaro makes me feel really small, too much head room (I suppose that isn't really a bad thing), and I sit extremely low, as my model didn't have electronic seats so there is no raising or anything.
The FR-S handles amazing, you can feel bumps in the road (which I like) you can hear the motor, (I also like this, you can hear the camaro motor in the cabin too, probably because it basically is almost right under the dash) the seats are amazing, I felt so snug in the seat, it seemed to fit me really well.

Overall, I am extremely glad I didn't buy a GC before the FR-S was released.
My whiteout is on order and will be here in under 2 weeks!!
(girlfriend in photos, not me haha.)
If the seat in the FR-S is anything like the one in the BRZ, there's no electronic height adjustment but there's a bump handle that you can raise repeatedly to give yourself incremental height, or lower repeatedly to do the reverse.

The seat is definitely amazing, I've never felt so snug in a stock seat before.

My wife has a '13 GC 2.0T, it feels pretty sporty to me, and it definitely has more pull than my BRZ, but that's to be expected given 274/275 HP/TQ even with the weight differential. You do feel the weight being thrown around in the curves though. The BRZ/FRS, on the other hand, takes turns like it's on rails.
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The reason the 3.8 Track feels less sporty in the 2013 model is because people bitched and complained to Hyundai that the ride quality was too harsh and that they can feel everything in the road. Hyundai is a business so they folded under pressure on this one. Thank god I don't like the 2013 front end.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:44 PM   #6
tnt

Drives: argento frs at
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
congrats !
tnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #7
pr086

Drives: fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
The reason the 3.8 Track feels less sporty in the 2013 model is because people bitched and complained to Hyundai that the ride quality was too harsh and that they can feel everything in the road. Hyundai is a business so they folded under pressure on this one. Thank god I don't like the 2013 front end.
kind of scared of something like this happening to the FRS.

jump early and deal with any 1st year model issues, or wait, but potentially get a car thats been dumbed down or made worse in some way. (9th gen civic si for example). the flip side is they actually manage to make it better....
pr086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #8
Capstan

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
I didn't get a lot of driving time in the GC but in general I agree. Much more acceleration but the handling is considerably more sedan-like than FR-S (its based on a sedan chassis so no surprise I guess). On the other hand its a more comfortable ride as a daily driver.

Nice figure on that girlfriend BTW.
Capstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:11 PM   #9
Benzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post
If the seat in the FR-S is anything like the one in the BRZ, there's no electronic height adjustment but there's a bump handle that you can raise repeatedly to give yourself incremental height, or lower repeatedly to do the reverse.

The seat is definitely amazing, I've never felt so snug in a stock seat before.

My wife has a '13 GC 2.0T, it feels pretty sporty to me, and it definitely has more pull than my BRZ, but that's to be expected given 274/275 HP/TQ even with the weight differential. You do feel the weight being thrown around in the curves though. The BRZ/FRS, on the other hand, takes turns like it's on rails.

I don't have a huge problem with not having electronic height adjustment as long as there is some form of height adjustment. The only thing my camaro has is a very crappy tilt adjustment haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post
I didn't get a lot of driving time in the GC but in general I agree. Much more acceleration but the handling is considerably more sedan-like than FR-S (its based on a sedan chassis so no surprise I guess). On the other hand its a more comfortable ride as a daily driver.

Nice figure on that girlfriend BTW.
She said Thanks, haha. ^^
Old 08-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #10
SupraLove
Banned

Drives: 2007 Toyota Camry LE, 5AT i4
Awesome! What trans and options?
SupraLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:35 PM   #11
Benzy

All were manual trans, the FR-S didn't have any options, both of those 86s were sent to pikes peak international raceway for one of those meet the car and drive it events, they both had around 200 miles on them.
They were taken to the track for those first 200 so no doubt the break-in period was ignored
Glad I'm getting mine fresh off the truck
Old 08-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #12
oso_25
OH HEY NOW!!!!

Drives: 2013 Scion Fr-s Asphalt
Garage
A female with an Frs waiting to see how many pages this topic will have
oso_25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #13
Snoopyalien24
Mr. Sarcasm

Drives: 2016 VW Jetta TSI Sport 5-Speed
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr086 View Post
kind of scared of something like this happening to the FRS.

jump early and deal with any 1st year model issues, or wait, but potentially get a car thats been dumbed down or made worse in some way. (9th gen civic si for example). the flip side is they actually manage to make it better....
It won't happen. If Toyobaru would have made what we wanted, we would have had another car with Turbo and some mere handling car.

They listen to ENTHUSIASTS not a regular Joe
Snoopyalien24 is offline   Reply With Quote