follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Old 11-11-2012, 11:15 PM   #6931
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
F*** went into SF today, encountered my steepest hill start ever...2 stalls, burnt clutch smell everywhere.

That dumb Lincoln Towncar just had to be inches behind my bumper, otherwise I would've had a little more time to rev the engine up.

Speaking of my day in SF, I saw a large group of Mustangs driving by with almost certainly illegal exhausts, they were revving like mad and managed to set off half the car alarms on the block. SMH.

Also there were some gangsters in a Camaro doing burnouts on the road. SMH.
Use the Handbrake! Just put it up, then slowly rev up and let off handbrake at the same time. That has helped me on many a hill.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:25 PM   #6932
Guff

Garage
LOOK! At AutoCross today, a 350Z broke a rim and had some serious damage!

The car was coming in hot at the beginning of a sweeper. I was on cone duty about 20 feet away. The car make a nasty noise that ended up the rim breaking away and the fender carving a line into the ground. The wheel that came off rolled away into a fence about 40 feet from the car.

The wheels are stock 17" Enkei Nissan-OEMs. They are Cast Aluminum, I believe. I'm surprised that they broke like they did, but they had seen quite a few events so perhaps it was inevitable.

Pretty crazy stuff. The driver didn't know what happened until he stepped out and saw it. That was followed with a few expletives, lol. I don't blame him.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Guff For This Useful Post:
bestwheelbase (11-12-2012), einzlr (11-12-2012), jimmillion (11-12-2012), M-17 (11-12-2012)
Old 11-11-2012, 11:26 PM   #6933
Jayde

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Oh my!!!!
Old 11-12-2012, 12:01 AM   #6934
Want.FR-S

Drives: 4 Wheels Auto
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
LOOK! At AutoCross today, a 350Z broke a rim and had some serious damage!

Was the person touching the wheel wearing a glove? Or his hand was dipped strangely?

Quote:
The wheels are stock 17" Enkei Nissan-OEMs. They are Cast Aluminum, I believe. I'm surprised that they broke like they did, but they had seen quite a few events so perhaps it was inevitable.

Pretty crazy stuff. The driver didn't know what happened until he stepped out and saw it. That was followed with a few expletives, lol. I don't blame him.
So I guess *forged* is better than *casted*, as suggested in some Volk (?) wheel video.

Tire is one thing. I wonder if the under-carriage was scratched and caused more damage at that end.

BTW, flying wheel is not uncommon in F1 racing. Only the luckiest one can get a flying wheel, as long as it does not come at you at speed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Want.FR-S For This Useful Post:
Guff (11-12-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 12:09 AM   #6935
OmarGC
My FR-S has 5 gears

Drives: FRS/280z/Tundra
Thanked 1,065 Times in 572 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
That succcks

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

2JZ - 6870 - stock block - 1000whp?

Instagram: 2jzus
Old 11-12-2012, 12:36 AM   #6936
Guff

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want.FR-S View Post
Was the person touching the wheel wearing a glove? Or his hand was dipped strangely?
No, that was my iPhone mucking up the photo with HDR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want.FR-S View Post
So I guess *forged* is better than *casted*, as suggested in some Volk (?) wheel video.

Tire is one thing. I wonder if the under-carriage was scratched and caused more damage at that end.

BTW, flying wheel is not uncommon in F1 racing. Only the luckiest one can get a flying wheel, as long as it does not come at you at speed.

Some castings may be better than some forgings. It's all relative really. Aluminum WILL break though, it's inevitable. With enough stress, there will be a fracture. Although Forged Wheels are generally stronger than cast.

The fender liner was pretty banged up, along with the fender and the side skirt. The Rotor also dug into the barrel of the rim, so there could have been some damage there...
Old 11-12-2012, 12:56 AM   #6937
S2kphile
Resident HoneyBadger

Drives: Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Holy hell thats a scary site to see. I glad no one got seriously hurt. That being said WoW to those wheels. They must have had stress factures; thats why it's a good idea to check for them prior to some serious auto crossing.

Or maybe he had his lugnuts tightening to hard?

Walk like a King, Be like a Sir, Swag it out like a Boss
The Following User Says Thank You to S2kphile For This Useful Post:
Guff (11-12-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 01:27 AM   #6938
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Something similar happened at a local autocross last year. Let me find the pics...

The Following User Says Thank You to bestwheelbase For This Useful Post:
Guff (11-12-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 01:34 AM   #6939
Guff

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2kphile View Post
Holy hell thats a scary site to see. I glad no one got seriously hurt. That being said WoW to those wheels. They must have had stress factures; thats why it's a good idea to check for them prior to some serious auto crossing.

Or maybe he had his lugnuts tightening to hard?
Apparently after looking at the wheel, he said he saw 3 places where there could have been stress fractures. Problem was, they were plastidipped Black, so you couldn't see what the Aluminum was doing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestwheelbase View Post
Something similar happened at a local autocross last year. Let me find the pics...

This one looks much worse. The lone spring laying out there look like the entrails of the cars lifeless body...
Old 11-12-2012, 01:41 AM   #6940
einzlr

Drives: several
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Apparently after looking at the wheel, he said he saw 3 places where there could have been stress fractures. Problem was, they were plastidipped Black, so you couldn't see what the Aluminum was doing...
That'll do it Someone on here who also rides motorcycles said he always cleans his bike before an event expressly so he can keep an eye out for any damage. That sounded really smart to me.

"Simplicate and add lightness." - Gordon Hooton
The Following User Says Thank You to einzlr For This Useful Post:
Guff (11-12-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 01:45 AM   #6941
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Wheels are consumables.
The Following User Says Thank You to bestwheelbase For This Useful Post:
Guff (11-12-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 01:46 AM   #6942
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
No, that was my iPhone mucking up the photo with HDR.

Some castings may be better than some forgings. It's all relative really. Aluminum WILL break though, it's inevitable. With enough stress, there will be a fracture. Although Forged Wheels are generally stronger than cast.

The fender liner was pretty banged up, along with the fender and the side skirt. The Rotor also dug into the barrel of the rim, so there could have been some damage there...
Forged will usually have much better resistance to fatigue type failures (which this probably was since you say the car has a lot of runs on it. Sticky tires will only speed the process by stressing the wheels more.) due to the grain being controlled better, less porosity and inclusions that create stress risers, and often better radii and fillets because of necessary draw angles.

I'm curious to see the back side of the pieces to see if they have casting features on the spokes that could cause the start of the cracks.

Shot peening process helps by creating a compressed metal 'skin' since fatigue only happens to metal in tension.

Because titanium.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dimman For This Useful Post:
Guff (11-12-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 01:47 AM   #6943
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Makes me want to get forged volks even more now lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to ayau For This Useful Post:
Guff (11-12-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 06:12 AM   #6944
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Use the Handbrake! Just put it up, then slowly rev up and let off handbrake at the same time. That has helped me on many a hill.
Lol, handbrake. I had my foot on the brake, revved up the engine while the brake was still there (heel toe rofl), and then let the clutch out, but the smell I got from the clutch made me stop revving... doh. Only time I ever got jealous of one of those stupid automatic transmissions. On a side note, I realized that I've hit 1000 miles already, and it's only been 2.5 months :O Do I seriously drive that much? Maybe I should do that 5th gear swap afterall...

BTW I never knew wheels broke like that, I always assumed it wasn't an issue. I saw this wheel design that had only a solid rim, no spokes, and had a gear or something driving it sitting at the bottom. Much reduced stress they said, and reduced unsprung mass. The inboard brakes might be a little tough to sort out though.

Ah, there we go: http://osmoswheel.com/pages/concept.asp Orbital wheel it's called. Gunk getting into the drive mechanism is probably an issue...

Last edited by serialk11r; 11-12-2012 at 10:01 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to serialk11r For This Useful Post:
Guff (11-12-2012)
Closed Thread

Tags
221whp, :popcorn:, autobahnned, bringbackthebutts, brucelee, chucknorris, cutiepiepoppoppocorn, docking and snoodling, don'tbesadintotheocean, epic funnies, everyoneignoresmyposts, fuck yeah, funny thread tag, go_a_way1 was here, go_a_waycopiedspecialk, hey youse guys!, hoonigans, i am supreme., i like chocolate milk, i like to poop a lot, i like turtles, ichitaco, insertjokehere, invadethistread39erstyle, kr-s have my babies, kr-s is a faaggot, kr-s is a loser, mythbeliever, myunclesaid..., only the strong survive, postheredontbotherashrink, rules_of_nature, sklimo liked it, skylineislyfe, special_k was here, tagageddon 2016, thetagofreason, titsorgtfo, troz, whathappenedtothetags?