follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-09-2012, 02:32 PM   #15
LarryGP

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
A performance hybrid would be a blast to drive. Added torque from zero RPM, adjustable regen braking for more aggressive stopping power, plus you get to hear this every time you pull away from a light:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRECqhIZwIA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRECqhIZwIA[/ame]

Toyota always starts their LMP1 car on electric power only from the pit lane, and then bump-start the IC engine, to reduce wear the wear on the clutch for long endurance races. It's a pretty cool little trick, and sounds awesome.
1985 Porsche 944 Chumpcar
LarryGP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LarryGP For This Useful Post:
Akai (11-10-2012), BuBlake (11-09-2012), HotLeopardMama (11-10-2012), jonnyozero3 (11-09-2012), st162celica (11-12-2012), tripjammer (11-10-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 02:50 PM   #16
Hippophobia

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryGP View Post
A performance hybrid would be a blast to drive. Added torque from zero RPM, adjustable regen braking for more aggressive stopping power, plus you get to hear this every time you pull away from a light:

Toyota always starts their LMP1 car on electric power only from the pit lane, and then bump-start the IC engine, to reduce wear the wear on the clutch for long endurance races. It's a pretty cool little trick, and sounds awesome.
OMFG. That thing sounds like a monster.

Still, I don't know that I want electric motor. They are WAY more complicated in build and modification than a mechanical system. Usually requiring a full replacement of the actual electric motor to create more power. That's my understanding of it at least.
Hippophobia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hippophobia For This Useful Post:
HotLeopardMama (11-10-2012), jonnyozero3 (11-09-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #17
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Hi-Po Toyota GT86 To Get KERS?

Quote:
We happen to like the Toyota GT86 – and, it of course goes without saying that the same applies to the Subaru BRZ and Scion FR-S, as well – just the way it is. Yes, that includes the standard 2.0-liter four-cylinder boxer engine and its 200 horsepower at 7,000 rpm.

That said, a little extra power never hurt anybody, right?

The most obvious way to add some punch to the GT86 would be with a turbocharger, and that has indeed long been rumored for an STI version of the BRZ. Will Toyota follow suit? According to Top Gear, the answer is no. Says GT86 chief engineer Tetsuya Tada, "I think 300bhp with a turbo and 200g/km of CO2 would be tasteless in this day and age. And a turbo would mean the loss of the GT86's uniqueness." Perhaps a bit harsh, but there you go.

If no turbo, how will Toyota add some punch to its sports car? Possibly with a supercharger? Perhaps not. "We're looking at a next-generation hybrid. More like the TS030 Le Mans Prototype," says the engineer. If you'll recall, the TS030 uses a hybrid engine with a Kinetic Energy Recovery System, more commonly known as KERS.

Even more intriguingly, Tetsuya confirmed that there is a GT86 prototype already fitted with a hybrid KERS system, though it's unclear if it is using capacitors or batteries to contain the recaptured energy. Either way, our interest is most definitely piqued.
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/09/h...6-to-get-kers/
vh_supra26 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vh_supra26 For This Useful Post:
Fly Guy (11-09-2012), jonnyozero3 (11-09-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 02:52 PM   #18
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Faster Toyota GT86 to get KERS?

Engineer Tetsuya Tada reveals a KERS hybrid prototype is being considered… Paul Horrell reports

Quote:
The Toyota GT86 will get a more powerful version. Just like someone on every web forum out there says should happen. But it's not what you're thinking. The car's chief engineer Tetsuya Tada (pictured right) told us: "I think 300bhp with a turbo and 200g/km of CO2 would be tasteless in this day and age. And a turbo would mean the loss of the GT86's uniqueness." That's pretty definite then.

"We're looking for a surprise," Tada says. "Something unique. For example, a hybrid motor." Yes, he knows your face will fall. But he's not talking about the usual Toyota hybrid system (THS), found on the Prius and other hatchbacks. "The THS is good in town, but not for sporty driving or high-speed motorways." Quite.

"So we're looking at a next-generation hybrid. More like the TS030 Le Mans Prototype. We're looking into that possibility."

This is good. Tetsuya always said the GT86 wouldn't be a proper sports car without a high-revving engine. That's why he developed a special (and expensive) version of Toyota's direct-injection system that could handle high rpm. You can imagine his distaste for the low-revving Atkinson cycle engines of the THS hybrids. Never mind their CVTs and their heavy NiMH batteries.

The TS030 racer has a KERS system, recovering energy during braking and storing it in supercapacitors to give an extra kick of torque down the next straight. So it still has a high-revving petrol engine and a six-speed gearbox and rear-wheel drive. And it beat the Audi R18 e-Tron at the end of this season.

Eventually we nudge Tada further. Has he got a GT86 prototype running using KERS hybrid? "Yes."

So has the prototype got supercapacitors, or batteries? Finally, as his PR minder shows signs of actual medical seizure, he stops answering questions directly. "Toyota wants to make things accessible. The capacitor is appropriate technology, but it's not as lightweight as you might think, and it's expensive." So that's a no… or a maybe? "Well it might get better. The rate of improvement in the electronics industry is very fast compared with the car industry."

It's clear things are moving fast. Back in the summer Tada told TopGear.com the hybrid wasn't ready for sports-car primetime. But now, with his distaste for big heavy engines or laggy low-rev turbos, the idea of the instant electric response of KERS is more appealing to him.

It's equally clear that this development is not exactly just around the corner. But Tada-san spent five whole years working on the GT86 to get it to his satisfaction. If we have to wait for his next chapter, well it's probably going to be worth it.
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/t...kers-2011-11-9
Old 11-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #19
Moshpit37
FR-S Owner!

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine 6AT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Whatever keeps this platform relevant, I'm down! I believe this will probably be an option, as opposed to the one-and-only version of this car in the future. I see probably three models available from the factory in the future: N/A, Supercharged, and this KERS-equipped hybrid if it comes to fruition. Not at all a bad lineup in my opinion. But I don't believe this Hybrid model would be available until the 2nd generation. Supercharger from the factory by 2015, then a refresh for 2017 with more power choices. Just my thoughts.

Frances - 2013 Scion FR-S in Ultramarine
Owner's Journal
Moshpit37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #20
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: quicker than arghx7
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
*Sploosh*

This would put me over the edge in finally getting an FR-S. Here's what I'd do:

*Revised cam phasing to do Atkinson-esque cycle on low-load/cruising
*IMA [Honda style] replacing the flywheel with a one-way bearing that allows for stop-n-go driving to operate on electric only.
*relatively small battery pack [let's say 1KWh] in the rear seat footwells, rear seats deleted with a carbon fiber luggage shelf.
*225 HP combined, 225 LbFt torque!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryephile For This Useful Post:
Fly Guy (11-09-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 02:59 PM   #21
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

I remembered Toyota said that it wants to offered every one of its model in hybrid form by 2015.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:14 PM   #22
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmx17 View Post
go hug a tree. j/k :-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshpit37 View Post
Supercharger from the factory by 2015, then a refresh for 2017 with more power choices. Just my thoughts.
This would jive with a model refresh as other manufacturers bring competitive models to market.
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #23
LarryGP

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
In case anyone hasn't seen this (and still doubts the awesome future of hybrid sportscars )

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFNIqxTT_mw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFNIqxTT_mw[/ame]
1985 Porsche 944 Chumpcar
LarryGP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LarryGP For This Useful Post:
Akai (11-10-2012), Bristecom (11-10-2012), Fly Guy (11-09-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #24
dsgerbc

Drives: BRZ(sold), STI
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmx17 View Post
Really?
Really. Every other damn econobox these days has one.
Had a turbo-subaru for years, so yeah, boring.
dsgerbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:39 PM   #25
DuMa

Drives: LR BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
f1 technology fuck yea
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #26
dsmx17
4g63>rotards

Drives: 98'GSX 11'Tundra 10'Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsgerbc View Post
Really. Every other damn econobox these days has one.
Had a turbo-subaru for years, so yeah, boring.

Then you were doing it wrong.

and every other econo box is starting to use hybrid electronic power.
dsmx17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #27
Supermassive

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Garage
KERS tech in the FR-S will be nowhere near as cool as the LM GT car or even the Porsche 918, and will likely toned down for civility. Now if I could have the sound of that LM car my god I would probably have to keep a change of short everytime i started it...
Supermassive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:12 PM   #28
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Turbos and Hybrid power are both great. Why are you guys denying either one?

Personally, id love to see either one put in this car. Though i know the Turbo is already done, for us to be allowed an other option to get power is amazing and all those guys who deny Hybrid technologically are fools. Hybrid technology isn't only used to get good MPG, it can be used to get good power gains without using a Turbo or SC and not wasting lots of gas.
Though turbos are starting to become extremely common, they aren't unique as they once were. Though still tons of fun and very easy to make or break a car.

There are a few cars that are known for turbos though, First gen Saab 900 comes to mind...what a car.

I can see where the person who developed the car is coming from; without the want for a Turbo, he wants to explore different routes, he wants to make us "Drivers" more versatile. He knows what hes doing and i trust him all the way to do what he likes with any car he makes.
dem00n is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dem00n For This Useful Post:
Akai (11-10-2012), Billy2224 (11-11-2012)

Tags
engineer, forced induction, fr-s hybrid, fr-s kers, frs hybrid, frs kers, hybrid, hybrid fr-s, hybrid frs, hybrid scion fr-s, hybrid scion frs, kers fr-s, kers frs, kers hybrid fr-s, kers hybrid frs, kers hybrid scion fr-s, kers hybrid scion frs, kers scion fr-s, scion fr-s hybrid, scion fr-s kers, scion frs hybrid, scion frs kers, tetsuya tada