follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 09-17-2012, 08:54 AM   #29
LSxJunkie
Douchebag

Drives: 2014 Mustang GT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Valvetronic makes the whole turbo lag situation better though :O Well, at least in theory it can.

I'm still waiting for a company other than Ferrari to grow the balls to make an "infinite profile" intake camshaft. I'm sorta disappointed BMW isn't trying, they go through trouble to improve VANOS response (no one else gives a shit about this), integrate knock sensing into the spark plugs, use the most advanced fuel metering strategy, and put Valvetronic on even their entry level stuff. They have an M division that makes some of the most exotic engines out there, so why aren't they trying to innovate a little here? We're talking very high end cars, an extra few thousand bucks for something like this isn't asking too much.
Something like solenoid or electromagnetically activated valves? Infinitely variable lift and duration? As an NA guy who loves big lumpy OHV cam idles and the kind of power you can make with them, I've been curious about that for a long time.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #30
bimmerboy

Drives: 2009 135i
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestwheelbase View Post
I am confused. The AS1 platform is shared by the FRS and BRZ. Can you elaborate?
that's brand sharing not really platform sharing...two brands selling the same exact car.

What i'm talking about is developing a chasis that will need to serve as a base model, high-performance model, and a luxury model... For example the subaru impreza chasis, which is used to become both the wrx and STi..

Or the VW GTi chasis, which is used for base golfs and also jettas...

Or the Nissan FM platform which is used for the 370z, altima, and infiniti g35/37...

In doing this you end up saving costs but also have to compromise, making the chasis a jack-of all trades, master of none...

make sense?
bimmerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bimmerboy For This Useful Post:
bestwheelbase (09-17-2012)
Old 09-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #31
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboy View Post
What i'm talking about is developing a chasis that will need to serve as a base model, high-performance model, and a luxury model... For example the subaru impreza chasis, which is used to become both the wrx and STi..

*snip*

In doing this you end up saving costs but also have to compromise, making the chasis a jack-of all trades, master of none...

make sense?
I think so, yes! I grasp the notion that a purpose-built sports car will be completely geared toward sporting qualities, and will sacrifice other considerations (cargo capacity, to give a general example) because of it's sole focus.

If I understand correctly, your point is regarding inherent shortcomings of a chassis intended for multiple uses. You refer to compromises, but what are those compromises?

If there's someone in chassis design/manufacturing who can comment, please do!
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:43 AM   #32
Zadkiel

Drives: CBS BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
What kills it for me is that this will be the first M3 without a manual transmission and there won't be a coupe version. The M brand is starting to become played out with all the X6M and "M-style" packages.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012...NEWS/120809892
Old 09-29-2012, 12:38 PM   #33
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboy View Post
that's brand sharing not really platform sharing...two brands selling the same exact car.

Or the VW GTi chasis, which is used for base golfs and also jettas...

Or the Nissan FM platform which is used for the 370z, altima, and infiniti g35/37...

make sense?
You realize you are talking about a car that has a modified leggy platform and the rear suspension set up in the same basic way as an impreza + all the other subaru parts bin compenents on this car, right?
chulooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #34
mach330

Drives: Ultramarine frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zadkiel View Post
What kills it for me is that this will be the first M3 without a manual transmission and there won't be a coupe version. The M brand is starting to become played out with all the X6M and "M-style" packages.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012...NEWS/120809892
It will have a manual. They confirmed it already. Coupe will be m4. I have no doubt people well all buy the coupe version even it was called a$$hat.

I'm ok with m packages. What bothers me now are there too many lines.

Example:
4 series coupe
4 series grand coupe (4 door)

Same with 6

So they'll have a grand coupe to compete with the sedan version.

Tap'd from my G-Nex
Old 10-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #35
Zadkiel

Drives: CBS BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach330 View Post
It will have a manual. They confirmed it already. Coupe will be m4. I have no doubt people well all buy the coupe version even it was called a$$hat.

I'm ok with m packages. What bothers me now are there too many lines.

Example:
4 series coupe
4 series grand coupe (4 door)

Same with 6

So they'll have a grand coupe to compete with the sedan version.

Tap'd from my G-Nex
Source for confirming the M3 will have a manual? As for the coupe, if it's a M4 then it's not an M3.