follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 04-12-2017, 03:59 PM   #1
paintdude258

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Running light "Tail" fuse in foot well keeps blowing **Fixed**

Hey guys,

I just ran into quite the scenario that caused me a couple of new gray hairs.

I had a fuse in my driver side footwell continue to blow each of the dozen or so times I tried to replace it. My running lights (Boomerang, taillights, turn lights, and license plate lights) would work for a minute or two, and then the fuse would blow again.

I checked all 8 bulbs affected by the short, but all were working perfectly.

I dissected the wiring in my trunk first. Then moved to my turn lights. I tried switching out my tail lights for my OEM ones, but nothing helped.

Last to check was my boomerangs. I found the wiring diagram online and found that the boomerang light wire that goes in and out of the headlight is lime green, so I focused on tracing that wire from source to source.

Turns out, I have a @Mishimoto oil cooler installed on my car that i absolutely love, but the braided line that runs into the front of my bumper to supply oil to the intercooler had actually moved and made contact with the green wire that powers my boomerang.

The oil cooler must be grounded, causing my boomerang wire to be shredded and then grounded.

When I found the problem, I jumped around and screamed with joy in the middle of a gas station.

Problem solved.

I doubt many have run into this problem, but just in case, this is a good starting place to look for such a problem.

Blake
paintdude258 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mishimoto, oil cooler