follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA Australia and New Zealand

User Tag List

Old 03-22-2016, 10:05 AM   #1
Ginosaur

Drives: 2015 Toyota 86 GTS Manual
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Headers and emissions question for Sydneysiders

Hey guys,

New here and made a typo in my username fml I'm coming from a stock Type R DC5 and I love this FR cornering machine. I'm planning to buy these parts after the Easter break so doing some research now.

PSR Unequal Length Headers which comes with PSR Overpipe
Invida Hi Flow Front Catted Pipe
One off tune to disable engine warnings (not sure where to get this, advice would be appreciated)

Not really keen on changing the cat back as for now, seen a video and I really like the stockish sound but with a louder growl when WOT is applied. The idle sound has deepened as well. Here's an example:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO6NJ_lcxZI"]Tomei UEL Header w/ Stock Exhaust - Subaru BRZ[/ame]

btw it's a Tomei header in the YouTube clip not PSR but apparently the PSR UL headers are the same as Tomei, made from the same design, same materials, same factory, just without the stamp branding. Does anyone have experience with PSR brand?

If PSR OP and Invidia FP go on with PSR Headers, will it be louder on WOT compaired to the BRZ in the clip above? but stock sounding under 3.5k revs?

Will it be an issue with emissions rules in SYDNEY? The Invidia FP is catted but the PSR Headers isn't. Stock headers have cats I believe? Are they even bothered to test that stuff?

Will get Invidia Q300 if the stock catback note sucks when paired with aftermarket headers/OP/FP but it may be super loud judging from this video, it sounds really really really nice though but afraid it may attract coppers.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgeMKgW-3VM"]Toyota 86 with Tomei UEL and Invidia Q300[/ame]

Future thanks!
Ginosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:30 PM   #2
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
You look like your on the right track

psr headers are good value for money, coupled with a high flow cat front pipe it will be ok with stock catback.

once you add aftermarket catback its going to be much louder, and maybe a bit raspy even with a quiet one like q300.

see basic bolt on mods guide linked below

re emmissions im not 100% but basicly as long as you have one working cat in system you will avoid the heavy fine if you get inspected. Its unlikely that any exhaust or tune setup will pass a full emmissions test other than stock tune and exhaust unless its been specificly done to pass emmissions and almost none are. So be prepared to swap out to stock in the unlikely event you get a full test, very unlikly unless you drive like a d1ck have a super loud exhaust and tyres hanging out past the fenders
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Ginosaur (04-12-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 08:07 PM   #3
Ginosaur

Thanks for the reply mate! I've ordered the parts from PSR, highly recommend them! I'll upload a video when I have it installed as it was really hard finding a clip with an 86 which had aftermarket Headers, OP, FP but stock catback. I've decided to go for a full ECU tune with BRZ edit as ecutek was costing double unfortunately.

My GTS still has a year left of new car toyota warranty and 3 years of used car warranty as I bought it exdemo, would they still service it with capped pricing? Will they even find out that I have those parts installed?
Old 03-25-2016, 02:50 AM   #4
gMit

Drives: Pearl BRZ
I too am in the same boat as you. I really want to get some uel headers without a cat but am concerned about emission testing. How does that high flow cat compare to the stock one?
Does anyone know what the cat cell on the stock front pipe is?
gMit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:57 AM   #5
Ginosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
see basic bolt on mods guide linked below
Thanks for this thread! Great read and now I regret purchasing the front pipe lol. Over pipe came with UEL headers so that's a bonus.

The tuner I'm going with is offering me $800 for a custom dyno tune, very reputable 86 Sydney tuner. They use BRZedit and said they'd update the tunes for cheap on future visits so I think it's a pretty good deal.

Do you do any tuning or installations here in Sydney?
Old 03-25-2016, 07:48 PM   #6
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginosayr View Post
Thanks for this thread! Great read and now I regret purchasing the front pipe lol. Over pipe came with UEL headers so that's a bonus.

The tuner I'm going with is offering me $800 for a custom dyno tune, very reputable 86 Sydney tuner. They use BRZedit and said they'd update the tunes for cheap on future visits so I think it's a pretty good deal.

Do you do any tuning or installations here in Sydney?
Yep that about going price for NA dyno tune. Although their is not much to be gained on NA cars between a decient canned tune and a full dyno tune.

if you were in brisbane theirs a few options
Ginosaur (04-12-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 07:40 AM   #7
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gMit View Post
I too am in the same boat as you. I really want to get some uel headers without a cat but am concerned about emission testing. How does that high flow cat compare to the stock one?
Does anyone know what the cat cell on the stock front pipe is?

Im not sure mate but I think its about 400 cel.
Ginosaur (04-12-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 06:41 PM   #8
EddieBRZ

Drives: Subaru BRZ S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hey mate I'm from Sydney side too and have only had my brz about 6 months. Steve's guide is incredible info and honestly if you're sticking with mild modding and n/a, consider the Open Flash Tablet.

Can get a used one for 4-500 dollars and it has free off the shelf tunes and you can adjust them yourself or learn from guides by Steve, wayno and a few others. Custom tuning on this car is pricey in Sydney and won't net you much more in n/a form over off the shelf tunes. Coyote from Brisbane is awesome as well from what I've read

Agreed on the cornering machine comment, amazing car.

Dont think you need to be too concerned unless your car becomes overkill. Never had a cop bat an eye at my car although the catback is quite loud on mine.
EddieBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:28 AM   #9
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Will it be an issue with emissions rules in SYDNEY?
It is illegal to remove any emission control devices so removing a cat is not legal. Any emissions device that is replaced with a non oem unit has to be engineered which involves a trip to Penrith or Botany RTA to be put through the IM240 test.

Whether or not you follow these legalities is up to you. There is also the remote possibility that if you were in an accident and your insurance company were to find out your insurance maybe void because your car is not roadworthy according to ADRs.

Now, let me emphasise the probability is low, minuscule, tiny, almost not worth considering but the possibility exists that you might be caught out.

My car failed IM240 test with 2 aftermarket 200 cell cats. I have had both 200 cell cats replaced with 400 cell cats and the difference in power is slight. These aftermarket 400 cell cats have not as yet been IM240 tested. This is with JDL elh, over-pipe and front pipe plus custom cat back.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
Ginosaur (04-12-2016)
Old 04-04-2016, 07:44 PM   #10
Ginosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
It is illegal to remove any emission control devices so removing a cat is not legal. Any emissions device that is replaced with a non oem unit has to be engineered which involves a trip to Penrith or Botany RTA to be put through the IM240 test.
Aw wish you told me that sooner I've been advised by everyone I've asked that 1 cat is enough but you seem to know your stuff. I'm a safe driver so hopefully no bad stuff happens.

All installed! sounds awesome! No drone at all. PSR/SME quality of the headers and overpipe is top notch, the pull gain is very noticeable. Invidia front pipe was very nicely manufactured too which offers lifetime quality on top. Very freaking loud on startup. Luckily the OFT reduces the loud idle to 4-5 seconds only and gradually reduces revs till it quiets down to stock sound to 30 seconds. From memory, the stock tune just stays at a constant high rev for 30 seconds straight and then the rev pin drops down after. The sound it makes driving on the road is really nice. But am looking to make it a deeper growl with a q300 soon.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgrUpnSa4qA"]Toyota 86 on OFT stage 2 tune running PSR UEL headers, PSR overpipe and Invidia frontpipe - YouTube[/ame]
Old 04-05-2016, 06:55 PM   #11
EddieBRZ

Oh you ended up going with the OFT after considering the custom tuning, nice!

Any other comments on the PSR headers? I'm planning to get uel headers soon and was set on Tomei but they are a bit pricier..
Old 04-07-2016, 06:50 PM   #12
Ginosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieBRZ View Post
Any other comments on the PSR headers? I'm planning to get uel headers soon and was set on Tomei but they are a bit pricier..
I've looked at the Tomei and PSR side by side and I don't think there's a difference. PSR seemed like the better deal to me because it comes with over pipe. PSR doesn't come with the foil wrap for the oil pan so I covered half of the oil pan which is closest to the headers with gold heat tape and I think it works better because it lets it breath through the uncovered half section. You get the nice tomei stamp if you go tomei though haha. And yeah, I went OFT, had a good read of Steve's threads and convinced me.

Haven't been pulled over yet. There's been a lot of cops I've driven beside, infront and behind of and they don't seem to mind. I think you only get done for exhausts if you drive hoony, they'll then try to add as much fines and defects as they can. but I've never had any issues with the cops. Just drive normal and you'll be alright.

Last edited by Ginosaur; 04-07-2016 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:44 PM   #13
blue cat

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Garage
Quote:
Aw wish you told me that sooner I've been advised by everyone I've asked that 1 cat is enough but you seem to know your stuff. I'm a safe driver so hopefully no bad stuff happens.

All installed! sounds awesome! No drone at all. PSR/SME quality of the headers and overpipe is top notch, the pull gain is very noticeable. Invidia front pipe was very nicely manufactured too which offers lifetime quality on top. Very freaking loud on startup. Luckily the OFT reduces the loud idle to 4-5 seconds only and gradually reduces revs till it quiets down to stock sound to 30 seconds. From memory, the stock tune just stays at a constant high rev for 30 seconds straight and then the rev pin drops down after. The sound it makes driving on the road is really nice. But am looking to make it a deeper growl with a q300 soon.

why would you record that at night? the risk of pissing off neighbours is so much greater
Old 04-07-2016, 09:24 PM   #14
EddieBRZ

Quote:
I've looked at the Tomei and PSR side by side and I don't think there's a difference. PSR seemed like the better deal to me because it comes with over pipe. PSR doesn't come with the foil wrap for the oil pan so I covered half of the oil pan which is closest to the headers with gold heat tape and I think it works better because it lets it breath through the uncovered half section. You get the nice tomei stamp if you go tomei though haha. And yeah, I went OFT, had a good read of Steve's threads and convinced me.

Haven't been pulled over yet. There's been a lot of cops I've driven beside, infront and behind of and they don't seem to mind. I think you only get done for exhausts if you drive hoony, they'll then try to add as much fines and defects as they can. but I've never had any issues with the cops. Just drive normal and you'll be alright.
Yeah in most areas of Sydney there are heaps of louder cars so I don't think they're too phased by that level of sound. I tend to just avoid down shifting around cops, it's much quieter at low revs. I looked at the PSR and to me it looks like the Tomei may have thicker walls and I haven't heard much about fitments issues so I'll probably just go with them. I read one or two posts about fitments issues with PSR but don't quote me on that, seems like yours fit perfectly.

I've been RBT'd in my car and cops haven't blinked an eye. In the end we're a lot quieter than most motorbikes aswell.

Good choice on going OFT, great value. Check out Wayno's threads for Australian tunes, our fuel is crap compared to the US.